I went to a Speech and Debate Club Meeting Today!!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManicPie

Reaction score
I'm in my third year of high school, and I have done practically no extracurriculars. I'm a solid-A student, I score well on my AP exams, but I have no extracurriculars to put on my transcript, or help me get into a good college. The only way of me getting into a college is through scholarships, and nowadays, the only way to get good scholarships is if you have excellent grades and you have lots of extracurriculars showing that you have motivation.
However, my first two years of high school were really, incredibly terrible. When I went into freshman year, I came from a tiny school of 100 people into a school of almost 2000, and I was as awkward, quiet, and confused as is even possible. I ate lunch in front of a leaky radiator with the same two people every day and hardly ever talked to anyone else. I had no confidence, and that translated into doing nothing with my life. By the beginning of sophomore year, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed and I went to a counselor, who helped make things a little bit better. Now, at the beginning of Junior year, I don't feel deeply depressed as I was for most of sophomore year (which is good), but I still have issues with self-confidence.
People have always told me that I should do extracurriculars, and I know I should. People have suggested cross country running, chess, the science club, the swimming team, speech and debate, spanish club, and pretty much everything else my school has to offer. Every time I would back down, too terrified of a new situation. Today, I saw a poster in the hall saying "Like to argue? Come to Speech and Debate! Every monday and wednsday". I was about to dismiss it, like I usually do when I see opportunities, but I stopped. I considered it. People had told me I was a good speaker - and that I was a good writer as well. Maybe this is an extracurricular I could do. However, the prospect terrified me. Going to a club meeting, with nobody I knew, doing something I had no real idea or known skill at - it was terrifying. Having to talk with new people?! Having to give IMPROMPTU SPEECHES to random people? I was scared.

But for once in my life, I shoved the terror away and went. I don't know what made me do it. I just managed to go in and do it. There were only a few people there (Speech and debate isn't exactly popular) but it was very welcoming and educational about the whole speech and debate club. The returning club members were very welcoming and open.
There are many different subcategories of speech and debate, and one of them is the Impromptu speech. Basically, they give you a piece of paper with three totally random, unrelated things written down on it: an inanimate object, a quote, and something else I can't remember. You have 30 SECONDS to prepare an impromptu speech. They asked for volunteers to try out their first impromptu speech. And you know what? Out of somewhere, I got up and did it. My speech was on "giblets". It didn't really have a conclusion, and it went hella off topic, but they said it was "impressive for your first impromptu speech".
I'm still unsure about doing the club, but I think I'm gonna come back for the next practice, and go from there. One step at a time, right? But I just feel positively swelled with pride for myself. I actually did it. As I was walking to the meeting classroom, my head was swimming in terror and self-doubt and worry and fear, but I did it. And though nothing is certain, I at least got myself out there. That's my little triumph for today. :)

Awesome work! ;)

The club sounds promising; perhaps you'll grow to love it and meet some nice, friendly people.

You can give me some tips haha. I get a bit - okay, extremely - nervous speaking in front of a crowd.

Much kudos to you!

P.S. I had to google giblets...and uaaagggrrghhh...hahaha.

That is really great and Speech and Debate of all things. Sounds like a really difficult one to me. I could have never managed that one. Great job :)

Congratulations! Just keep doing new things and keep doing the debating if that's what you enjoy. I can say from experience that there really is nothing to be afraid of when you're trying out new things. The more you do extra-cirruculars, the more you'll see that there isn't anything to it. I mean you said that at first you saw the poster and were intimidated by it, imagining that everybody there would be unfriendly and unwelcoming, but that didn't happen when you went, and it never will because they are just as nervous as you!

Latest posts

Back