I'm having a moment of pessimistic clarity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destructotron

Reaction score
This isn't some emotional rant about love or a lack of friends of whatever. All that's cool, I'm not moaning about that. The problem is that I just entered law school and after my first lecture I'm not quite sure I'm up to the task.

First of all, there weren't enough books to go around and naturally I'm the one who didn't get any. Worst scenario is that I'll have to buy them but in any case, I've tried reading some of this material today and I almost died from confusion. I simply don't get it. I used to think that I was a smart, quick witted guy but apparently it was all a mere delusion. I just completed my very first lecture today and the material I have to go through is abysmal and I feel like it's something I can't handle. Granted I wasn't very thorough and I intend to be more serious tomorrow but... yeah...

Uncertainties aside, I also feel like I've made the wrong choice. I see no elegance in being a lawyer, a prosecutor etc.. I didn't choose law because it's something that genuinely interests me. Time was running out and I had to make a decision. Never in all my life have I ever felt so confused and lost. It's like I don't even know who I am and what I like.

Since I don't have many friends, no girlfriend and no real bonds in general, I thought I could siphon all my energy into studies and a future career but now I feel as if I'm studying law just for the sake of studying something. Tomorrow I have no lectures so I've been drinking lots wine and celebrating my new bachelorhood alone, so my current mental condition has convinced me to make this pathetic post which I would never do in my default normal state. Pathetic, but to hell with it.

You should definitely go into idle mode and find a reason for living before you go on doing it. In terms of "up to the task" I don't know if you need me to tell you this, but there is no need for one to be "born intelligent" or not, it simply comes down to whether or not you have properly put yourself into the fundamental knowledge from which any confusing study material is built. Everything can be simplified.

Take it from someone who's been there: Don't stay on a course of study that doesn't interest you. It will become a long, horrible and uninspirational road, and you'll end up applying for jobs you don't really want, and then hate going to work. During this time, you'll spend way too much of your time regretting the money and time you put into your studies, and wishing you could go back a few years and start over elsewhere.

Give yourself a few weeks to acclimate; who knows, you might just need a little time to get into it. But if your interest hasn't picked up within a couple of months, my advice would be to drop out and find something else. But only if you're genuinely not interested in it; if it's just because you doubt your own abilities, then don't give up; in the end it will be worth all the work.

I think first you need to figure out what you really want to do and if you really want to do this course. If you like the subject law, then do it. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a lawyer in my opinion.

I don't think intelligence matters that much, you got into law school so that shows that you are capable of doing it. I remember when I first did my degree I struggled a lot at the start and thought I wasn't intelligent enough in my first year. Most of my peers were naturally smart since majority of them entered uni with higher grades than I. Luckily first year didn't count but anyway when grades actually counted, I cracked my head into it and simplified things down and I ended up getting good grades - better than my peers ;) Obviously I'm not naturally gifted, so I had to plan my studies early.

You can do it! Give yourself a little time. I think you should stick with it unless you come up with something you'd rather study... but even then, why not finish it? I mean, why not have "lawyer" as a job while you're putting yourself through college for something else? Beats fast food!

Latest posts

Back