Is life nothing but a race to further our independence or success?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinderleaf

Reaction score
Intro
This is a topic I wanted to discuss and I'm aware that I may be wrong in some cases as well as not being the best writer around. Anyway, to start off, depending on individual work ethic, I think everyone has their own pace and plans in which they're comfortable working with in order to achieve their goals in life. For example, some students in university (college in America) find themselves more comfortable to work Part Time or slow and steady towards achieving a college/university degree as their goal to further success or more importantly, independence which, while it makes it easier to juggle life's priorities and less pressure, it does take longer than the standard 3 to 4 years or so at Full Time to complete that degree.

Of course, there are others who feel they don't need a degree at all and are happy to go through other pathways to further success and independence, no matter how long it takes from Apprenticeships to volunteering and gaining work experience at various jobs, hoping to gain promotions and reach further independence that way. In regards to other cases, it could be about getting your Full Driver's License for independence, where some people just so happen to have more difficulties learning or simply not able to get around enough driving experience over a short period of time to earn that Full License until they are well in their 30s and older. Not to mention, sports people perhaps where some of them, no matter how hard their work ethic, are unable to reach success on a consistently basis due to potentially injuries or other priorities stopping them along the way till they reach a certain age or peak of strength towards success, which could be at a later age than expected from society as such but this might be stretching the topic a bit.

The Point
But either way, to re-address the point, assuming everyone is hard working, it's that people should be comfortable to work at their own pace towards succeeding their goals in life and gaining independence, no matter how long it takes and whatever withstanding or difficulties that slow us down. And what sparked me to create this topic is that some people in society, especially my mother, expects that we should succeed certain things by a certain age, particularly in our early 20s.

In my situation, I know a few friends who have just completed their University Degree and are graduating around the same age as I (21). I then had a recent discussion with my Mother that after a few rough semesters, I've gotten comfortable studying Part-Time with a relevant, casual job, having gotten back on track to finish the degree once I turn 24 or 25, thus being unable to graduate at this time of age. She then replied to me that she alongside others, particularly the parents of those friends I know who succeeded/graduated in my age group, will find me pathetic and laughable that I'm unable to graduate or hell, succeed the same time as those in my age group as a matter of losing my self independence and self worth. As such, she even goes as far as saying that the early achievers will be the most intelligent and independent people at the end of life while the late achievers/bloomers will still be laughed upon, dumb and left behind which quite frankly, can be pretty harsh.

While I'm aware that it's inevitable that people will always find a way to talk honeysuckle behind your back despite getting on the right track, the thought of certain people to think that we must conform to the expectations of society is just frustrating. Expecting everyone to achieve certain things at a certain age, particularly at an early age, is just ridiculous, making life look not only just a race to the top of independence and success but also the further image of a "dog-eat-dog" world out there doesn't do much favours either.

As a result of this kind of social mindset and expectation as highlighted, am I not allowed to work comfortably at my own pace any more? Are we really that pathetic if we achieve our goals much later than society expects us to at a certain, particularly early age? Does this mean that failure is no longer an option to serve as a stepping stone to learn and achieve great, if not, greater things later down the road? Is life really just a race against others to reach further success or independence down the road and are we really that much better, wiser and independent of a person by achieving things earlier than a late achiever outside of the expectations of society? Considering this mindset, it's certainly come to divide and worry me about taking it easy with life that's for sure.

Is life really just a race against others to reach further success or independence down the road?

It is and it isn't. It's true that people who rush with their careers generally finish their life objectives first, I wouldn't be surprised if they get married more, more children, buy more houses. However life isn't just about what you have achieved. Isn't it more about the experiences along the way? And if you want to take it easy, then there is something that you can do in your free time that makes you happy?

Latest posts

Back