Just A Little Lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocsaint

Reaction score
Next Tuesday will be my 21st birthday. I just learned that my mother, who usually does something for my for my birthday, isn't going to buy me anything or throw a celebration for me this year.

I also live in public housing, don't have a job, I live with my dad. I appreciate my dad, but I see him too often and I feel like he isn't really "here". It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I feel a bit lonely because usually my mom gives me a celebration for my birthday, and she is the only one who used to do that. I actually don't have any friends, woe is me. I'm a bit of a loner though, so usually that doesn't bother me much.

I just think birthdays should be special, but it looks like I'm just going to sit around and do nothing all day as I usually do. So I'm feeling a little down and lonely. I'm going to post this emoticon here because it looks interesting. Forgive me.

:club:

Hey there, I'm sorry that you won't be having a celebration this year. It sucks if you're used to having one every year.

Nobody does a celebration for me ever. So, it's not much of a big deal to me really. But I hope that your birthday will go well at least.. do something for yourself. Treat yourself to some goodies or watch movies or do something relaxing or fun.. even if it's on your own.. since you say you don't mind it much.

And hey, happy birthday in advance! May you have a good one next Tuesday and best wishes to this new age of your life. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Hey there, I'm sorry that you won't be having a celebration this year. It sucks if you're used to having one every year.

Nobody does a celebration for me ever. So, it's not much of a big deal to me really. But I hope that your birthday will go well at least.. do something for yourself. Treat yourself to some goodies or watch movies or do something relaxing or fun.. even if it's on your own.. since you say you don't mind it much.

And hey, happy birthday in advance! May you have a good one next Tuesday and best wishes to this new age of your life. :)

Thank you, ladyforsaken! I get more kindness from you and other people on this forum than I do from my own family. I like it here.

Well. just some thoughts for consideration to maybe help you be more okay with it..

does your mom have a good job? can she afford a celebration?
youre going to be 21. an adult, like your mom and dad. not saying once 21+ you dont celebrate, but celebration becomes different.
your birthday is special, but now that youre an adult, you should be responsible for the celebrating too. not just someone that receives celebrations.

im glad you like it here. I like it here too!

Jocsaint said:
Next Tuesday will be my 21st birthday. I just learned that my mother, who usually does something for my for my birthday, isn't going to buy me anything or throw a celebration for me this year.

I also live in public housing, don't have a job, I live with my dad. I appreciate my dad, but I see him too often and I feel like he isn't really "here". It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I feel a bit lonely because usually my mom gives me a celebration for my birthday, and she is the only one who used to do that. I actually don't have any friends, woe is me. I'm a bit of a loner though, so usually that doesn't bother me much.

I just think birthdays should be special, but it looks like I'm just going to sit around and do nothing all day as I usually do. So I'm feeling a little down and lonely. I'm going to post this emoticon here because it looks interesting. Forgive me.

:club:

what I do is to go into town and treat myself. I usually buy myself a few books or dvd's. Last year bought a digital camera. You can enjoy yourself without other people.

Welcome to the site buddy.
You will find it very warm and welcoming here as I did.

I find that the anticipation of a celebration is just as important if not more so than the actual event!
you can prepare for weeks, while the event itself is over in a day.
Keep that in mind and if you are ever up for it, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would love to celebrate vicariously by giving you ideas.

Admittedly, its nice to have a day of attention and pampering. but the past is history. 21 is when you get to do man celebrations lol. Happy birthday!

Jocsaint said:
I get more kindness from you and other people on this forum than I do from my own family. I like it here.

Totally know what you mean! Glad you like it here, as do I. :)

Maybe your mom could be cooking up a surprise? Or maybe not.

I look forward to my birthdays too! It's always heartwarming when people remember. I don't even mind about presents, a simple greeting will light me up. It's that single day in the year when you get more attention from people. It's a nice feeling.

On the bright side, you've reached 21, so be thankful for that.

And you're now legal! :D

Winterclaw said:
Maybe your mom could be cooking up a surprise? Or maybe not.

No... I know my "mother" she isn't planning anything. She basically told me she has more important things to worry about than my birthday when I spoke to her Monday. Along with telling me I'm a loser because I don't have any friends.

She has changed dramatically from last year, excited to throw a celebration for me, because she is a hardcore painkiller and cocaine addict, she got fired from her job she had for over 15 years because of this and now she is mad at the world.

Perhaps your mom is more concerned about her employment situation. Just a guess.

Don't worry dude. If you've got the cash for it and live in a big town.. why don't ya go to the bar? What do you know, people may find out that you're having your 21st and you may have a blast :)

Moe said:
Perhaps your mom is more concerned about her employment situation. Just a guess.

Yeah. You're probably right. Sorry to anyone who seen this before I edited it. I don't want to be the guy who trashes people without them knowing it. My mom and I have had a complicated relationship since I was five years old, it's hard to forget things sometimes.

perfanoff, thanks for the idea. I live out in the middle of nowhere basically. No money. Only thing I got is a copy of BioShock Infinite and NBA 2K13. That'll be my birthday celebration I guess.

Sounds good too :) I'd suggest you bootleg a Mount & Blade copy, you won't notice when you're 22 already :D

My parents didn't do much for my 19th. They bought me a couple of small presents and cooked my favourite meal. They didn't spend lots of money or lots of time on me, but it still felt special because it showed they'd thought about me. I was sad because I couldn't have a party, no one to invite, but there were also things to be happy about. You don't need to spend lots of money or go to lots of effort to make someone feel important for a few hours.

I bought presents for myself and I really enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. It was great choosing a few things I really wanted on ebay and wrapping them up. Even though I knew what I was getting, I still enjoyed the anticipation. I bought and wrapped them so far in advance, I couldn't actually remember what was in each parcel, anyway.

Doing things a bit differently can also help the day stand out from the other days. Putting music on during dinner gave it a bit of a party atmosphere, I wore my best (maternity) clothes and did my hair/nails etc (or I did the best I could with a 2 year old in the house), it was nice.

Tuppence said:
My parents didn't do much for my 19th. They bought me a couple of small presents and cooked my favourite meal. They didn't spend lots of money or lots of time on me, but it still felt special because it showed they'd thought about me. I was sad because I couldn't have a party, no one to invite, but there were also things to be happy about. You don't need to spend lots of money or go to lots of effort to make someone feel important for a few hours.

I bought presents for myself and I really enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. It was great choosing a few things I really wanted on ebay and wrapping them up. Even though I knew what I was getting, I still enjoyed the anticipation. I bought and wrapped them so far in advance, I couldn't actually remember what was in each parcel, anyway.

Doing things a bit differently can also help the day stand out from the other days. Putting music on during dinner gave it a bit of a party atmosphere, I wore my best (maternity) clothes and did my hair/nails etc (or I did the best I could with a 2 year old in the house), it was nice.

Well, celebration to me has always been going out, not spending a whole bunch of money, but just to know that someone wants to spend time with you on your birthday is a good feeling. That's what my mother usually did for me, we would walk around a mall, maybe get some Chinese food, but I guess she doesn't deem it important to do this year.

Nice to know you had a decent nineteenth birthday though. It's important to spend it with people you love and love you in return.

Jocsaint said:
She has changed dramatically from last year, excited to throw a celebration for me, because she is a hardcore painkiller and cocaine addict, she got fired from her job she had for over 15 years because of this and now she is mad at the world.

Oh dear Jocsaint. :(
*hugs* Sorry to hear about this.
If I was anywhere near you, I'd throw a birthday party for you.

ladyforsaken said:
Jocsaint said:

Oh dear Jocsaint. :(
*hugs* Sorry to hear about this.
If I was anywhere near you, I'd throw a birthday party for you.

Thank you, lady. You're too kind. :)

Latest posts

Back