knowing and liking who you are

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Twitchy

After being trapped at home for three days due to snow and ice, I had some time to think on things.

I finally figured out that any issues I have had with self-esteem, revolved around unfair, uninformed and occasionally just plain moronic opinions of others. I believe the original mistake I made was listening to them in the first place.

People just love to have opinions, especially about things they know absolutely nothing about. I've even done it myself. I do however know me. I know my actions have worth and are meant to do good. I prove it every day to myself and the people I have to deal with in real life. Those who aren't around me have absolutely no business passing judgement. How could they?

If any of you have people in your life that don't appreciate the good things inside you, you should seriously consider getting rid of them. They will only keep you from becoming the good person you deserve to be. Why listen to people who want you to be unhappy? Why would any sane person let them have their way?

--
Apologies for the mini lecture. Done now... :rolleyes:

Please feel free to continue with the philosophical debates and masturbation threads.

I completely agree with you, mysterious floating pipe! The problem is, how does one remember these things, when it's needed the most? I often come to realise things like this, and then poof, it's out of my mind again. :(

I think maybe I should start writing notes and putting them up all over my room. Of course, that would probably just make me look as crazy as I actually am, and I wouldn't want that. ;)

Ravager1663 said:
I completely agree with you, mysterious floating pipe! The problem is, how does one remember these things, when it's needed the most?

I dunno, I'm just talking out of my ass and trying to avoid working.

>runs away<

:D

Twitchy said:
Ravager1663 said:
I completely agree with you, mysterious floating pipe! The problem is, how does one remember these things, when it's needed the most?

>runs away<

:D

LOL

your ass has some extrodinary insights. i agree stay away from judgmental and negative energy sapping spank-faces.

Twitchy said:

Smart ass. :p

But excellent advice. One of my greatest problems has been taking too personally others' opinions and judgment of me and letting that cripple me and ruin my self-esteem.

cheaptrickfan said:
But excellent advice. One of my greatest problems has been taking too personally others' opinions and judgment of me and letting that cripple me and ruin my self-esteem.

Sorry to hear that. I know it isn't a fun feeling, as it's been a big hurdle for me as well.

I hope I didn't sound like the "all knowing wise ass" person. It was just a little revelation I wanted to share with people. I don't have very many.

Very nice outlook Twitchy. so many times the problem is created when we allow other people to affect out actions and opinions of ourselves. I myself fell into this hole and the climb back out has been difficult.

Twitchy said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Sorry to hear that. I know it isn't a fun feeling, as it's been a big hurdle for me as well.

One of the benefits of age is that you eventually realize that most people are kind of full of crap and their own insecurities, so really, who are they to judge you. Also, if they're so wrapped up in their own stuff, they're probably really not spending as much time judging us as we may think that they are, y'know?

Back when I was in my 20s I drove myself crazy with this honeysuckle; now that I've entered my 40s, who has time for this bs, right?

Twitchy said:
I hope I didn't sound like the "all knowing wise ass" person. It was just a little revelation I wanted to share with people. I don't have very many.

Not at all! The "Smart ass" was in reference to your saying that you're talking out your ass and another poster saying that it was good advice... from your ass; hence: smart ass. heh

cheaptrickfan said:
Back when I was in my 20s I drove myself crazy with this honeysuckle; now that I've entered my 40s, who has time for this bs, right?

Well, in two years I'll be 40. I'm anxiously looking forward to not having time for BS.

cheaptrickfan said:
Not at all! The "Smart ass" was in reference to your saying that you're talking out your ass and another poster saying that it was good advice... from your ass; hence: smart ass. heh

I got it. I just wanted to add a disclaimer in there somewhere. :)

Twitchy said:
Well, in two years I'll be 40. I'm anxiously looking forward to not having time for BS.

It's very liberating.

Twitchy said:
I got it. I just wanted to add a disclaimer in there somewhere. :)

It's always wise to CYA. ;-)

cheaptrickfan said:
One of the benefits of age is that you eventually realize that most people are kind of full of crap and their own insecurities, so really, who are they to judge you.

I have come to realize this myself, and I'm only 25 :D

Oceanmist23 said:
cheaptrickfan said:
One of the benefits of age is that you eventually realize that most people are kind of full of crap and their own insecurities, so really, who are they to judge you.

Then you're way ahead of the game! :D

cheaptrickfan said:
Oceanmist23 said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Then you're way ahead of the game! :D

I managed to give most people the benefit of a doubt until I hit 30 or so.

The disappointments started rolling in shortly after. :/

Twitchy said:
I managed to give most people the benefit of a doubt until I hit 30 or so.
The disappointments started rolling in shortly after. :/

Oh I'm way less trusting of people now than I used to be. I think I just don't let it get to me as much. I think I expect less from people.

Cynical, yes - but necessary and liberating.

Living in being ok in my own skin. I sure as hell can't out run my own shadow. I live with me 24/7s
No matter where I go , what i do...there i am.
Commonsence would tell me...I ought to love me, be nice to me, be gental to me, be understanding to me, encourage me,
beliving in me, have faith in me, trust me, be non-judgmental to me, have compassion for me, be positive to me, be non critical
to me, no beating up on me, forgive me for making mistakes, give me a break, have confidence in me, prasie me for doing a good job,
award me for having sucess or over coming challenges....All daY ,everyday with every breath I take.

I become less and less dependent of other poeple this way.
Worrying about what other thinks about me is a waste of my time and life.
Thinking how others should live,act or belive...this too is a waste of time and energy.

My selfesteem and selfworth...Mmmmm I think that's how I feel and think about myself and not what others think about me...
I'm totally Awsume...I like me.

I can't shut out the world...My gate keeper filters out whatever or whomever I chose to let in and out of my life.
Boundaries rather than walls..There's plenty of awsume people in this world too...

I think I need to achieve some things in order to like myself, eg: get good on guitar, with music programs, maybe make a short film. I would absolutly love to make/write/direct something, even if it's just for Youtube. If anyone is interested mail me! I live in London.

Latest posts

Back