Learning something new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AmytheTemperamental said:
You taught me this :club:

Then it's a good job I'm full of useless information like this, lol.

AmytheTemperamental said:
9006 said:
Embarrassingly, I've only just learned that you have to wash rice before you cook it. LOL

You taught me this :club:

It's actually not this straightforward. Washing rice removes some starch, and this will result also in well separated grains and will remove the stickiness. This is good in some preparations and less good for others (e.g. risotto).

Or, if you prefer, it depends on the type of rice too: you always have to wash basmati rice, for example (but you shouldn't use it for risotto). Or more precisely on the type of grain.

P.S.: Also apparently rice they sell in the US is added iron and vitamins, so I have read. No idea whether that's true.

P.S. 2: rice sold in western countries is pre washed to remove impurities before being sold.

Wayfarer said:
It's actually not this straightforward. Washing rice removes some starch, and this will result also in well separated grains and will remove the stickiness. This is good in some preparations and less good for others (e.g. risotto).

Or, if you prefer, it depends on the type of rice too: you always have to wash basmati rice, for example (but you shouldn't use it for risotto). Or more precisely on the type of grain.

P.S.: Also apparently rice they sell in the US is added iron and vitamins, so I have read. No idea whether that's true.

P.S. 2: rice sold in western countries is pre washed to remove impurities before being sold.

The reason I didn't know this is because I've always bought 'posh rice' where you don't have to. But then I bought some cheaper stuff and only then realised that the price difference is probably because it goes through extra process to clean or something.

But this kind of stuff really isn't my strong point, lol.

I learned the Heimlich Maneuver is no longer called that due to the family wanting royalties every time it's mentioned on TV or in text - pathetic as it seems; they simply called it Abdominal Thrusts, instead. Good on them!

I learned that 12 year old boys like to drink Fosters larger nowadays. When I was 12 I liked connect 4, the fresia is that all about?

Latest posts

Back