Lonely and Married

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest11111111

For 25 years I have been married to a very cold, unfeeling man. Christmas if especially bad, he has never bought me a gift that is for me. This Christmas he bought me headlights for the car, didn't even wrap them, just kind of threw them at me with my whole family watching. Even when I had cancer and spent 6 months away from home having treatment he couldn't be bothered to send me flowers or a card. He tells me he loves me but never shows affection, no kisses, no hugs and no pet names, nothing.

Guest11111111 said:
For 25 years I have been married to a very cold, unfeeling man. Christmas if especially bad, he has never bought me a gift that is for me. This Christmas he bought me headlights for the car, didn't even wrap them, just kind of threw them at me with my whole family watching. Even when I had cancer and spent 6 months away from home having treatment he couldn't be bothered to send me flowers or a card. He tells me he loves me but never shows affection, no kisses, no hugs and no pet names, nothing.

((((Hugs))))

Coldness is the worst... have you told him how you feel?

As Steel asked "have you told him how you feel"?

He tells you that he loves you. From what you describe, it may be pretty difficult to tell that he does but that may be out of ignorance or just being to darn practical. Bet you needed the headlights. Hints and implying would have no effect after 25 years and isn't really 'talking'.

Minus said:
As Steel asked "have you told him how you feel"?

He tells you that he loves you. From what you describe, it may be pretty difficult to tell that he does but that may be out of ignorance or just being to darn practical. Bet you needed the headlights. Hints and implying would have no effect after 25 years and isn't really 'talking'.

Been there done that and I'm trying like hell to get out.
It sucks!
I pray theres no kids in your case.
But hey, it's only been 22 years for me.:p
(((BIG HUGS)))

this is really sad 'cause i've always thought if i was in a relationship i woudn't feel so lonely anymore and u have been married for so long and feel so alone. i feel really bad for u. i'm sure a lot of married people feel like u do. i'm sorry he doesn't give u more love. maybe u should join this forum and get some love from us.

Reminds me strongly of my step dad, he's very much like that. Some people just are like that, it's impossible to change them. For instance, whenever he's feeling ill, he starts playing a poor misbegotten victim and wants everyone to walk on tiptoes and cater to his whims. But do you think he feels even the slightest bit of sympathy when someone else, e.g., my mother is ill? Hell no. Insults is all you'll get from him. Like when she had a hysterectomy, has he come to visit her in hospital? Hell no. I'm not even talking about cards or flowers, that would never even cross his mind. Same with presents. My sister's birthday was recently, what d'you think he gave her? No, you'd never guess. Shoe oil. :p

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's just my step dad, and I just ignore him for the most part, but it must be much tougher for you since the guy's your husband.

Guest11111111 said:

Why have you stayed for 25 years?

Sometimes in relationships, people show (and perceive) affection in very different ways.
For example, in a relationship, I thought someone would show me he cared by wanting to spend time with me- maybe waking me up on Saturday morning and saying, "Let's go out!"
But he never ever did because he felt the best way to express affection would be to let me sleep as late as I wanted on the weekends. I ended up thinking he never wanted to spend time with me, and he was utterly baffled as to what he might have done wrong- he was only treating me the way he'd like to be treated.

Now, I'm not saying your husband wants unwrapped gifts tossed to him, but he is definitely looking at things from his own perspective instead of what you might need or want. You may not even be able to make him see things your way, but you can look deeper to see why he's behaving the way he is.

Cancer is a very heavy thing to have fall into a relationship. Although it felt like you were abandoned during treatment, I'm willing to bet he might have felt quite alone at that time too.
It's an overwhelming thing to have to deal with, especially in someone you love. Perhaps he couldn't cope with it at that time?

I don't mean to make excuses for his behavior, especially when it makes you feel rejected... but I think it sounds like there could be more empathy. Communication isn't easy I know, but sometimes all we can do is try to see it from the other's perspective and go from there.

Sola said:
Sometimes in relationships, people show (and perceive) affection in very different ways.
For example, in a relationship, I thought someone would show me he cared by wanting to spend time with me- maybe waking me up on Saturday morning and saying, "Let's go out!"
But he never ever did because he felt the best way to express affection would be to let me sleep as late as I wanted on the weekends. I ended up thinking he never wanted to spend time with me, and he was utterly baffled as to what he might have done wrong- he was only treating me the way he'd like to be treated.

Now, I'm not saying your husband wants unwrapped gifts tossed to him, but he is definitely looking at things from his own perspective instead of what you might need or want. You may not even be able to make him see things your way, but you can look deeper to see why he's behaving the way he is.

Cancer is a very heavy thing to have fall into a relationship. Although it felt like you were abandoned during treatment, I'm willing to bet he might have felt quite alone at that time too.
It's an overwhelming thing to have to deal with, especially in someone you love. Perhaps he couldn't cope with it at that time?

I don't mean to make excuses for his behavior, especially when it makes you feel rejected... but I think it sounds like there could be more empathy. Communication isn't easy I know, but sometimes all we can do is try to see it from the other's perspective and go from there.

Very well put!

Latest posts

Back