Making small talk about nothing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvernight

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have no problem with it whatsoever. You know, for instance, people sit together talking about... well nothing, just making some comments and jokes about some thing and another. I mean it's not rocket science, how come everyone else can do it at their pleasure, but I just sit there like a fish with water in my mouth and can't think of anything to chime in with? Or if I do, then no one usually pays attention to me anyway. Because I've already established myself as a silent fish, I guess. It looks so fun, like, really strengthens community spirit, I'd like to participate somehow, but it's like a part of my brain responsible for small talk is somehow missing. Anyone else has a problem with this? Have you figured anything to improve this uh.. defect?

Me too. I am making an effort to take an interest into what's going on in other people's lives now, so that when there's just two of us I can force a few questions about how things are going. But I find I'm pleased when there are lots of people chatting and I don't have to make the effort to find something to say. I would like to be able to join in, but I'm rubbish at it.

I get ya..

On certain days I personally think all people are fucken retarded.
I lose interest in making connections with humans on all level.
This and that..this and that....It's all fucken retarded to me no matter
how intellectual a conversation might get.

Alot of it had to do with listening. (I lived at a chatting pyscho ***** for 12 years..I'm used to it.lol)

Just ask people whatever about themselves and I'll have a nice long conversation .lol
Sometimes I just throw random honeysuckle out...Poeple actaully answer you becuase they like to
talk about themselves...especailly women.

With men..you can talk about sports, hobbies, cars, Britney Spears right nipples is bigger than the left one..etc
to chit chat.

I usually just sit and listen to what people have to say, sometimes I'll throw in a joke. I ask questions about people such as "how are you?" "whats up?" and just go with the flow of the conversation. I'm not one to usually START a topic but i'll make comments in the middle of it.

Online though, I start topics all the time because i'm bad-ass. :p

Lebowski said:
small talk, big talk...all of it scrambles me.

Me also. If i do eventually come up with something to say then i find that my response is to something that was five topics ago. Makes no difference, i guess, it will be ignored anyway.

i feel like i dont do enough, so i dont have much to talk about, and when i do do something its way too long before i see someone to actually attempt to share it with them, so i guess i am badly out of practice in the art of chat. i go off on tangents too much and talk until i forget what my point is and i can just see the look of bewilderment on a persons face. my brain is scrambled. no focus anymore.

then i just feel tired and dont really feel like talking.. what can you do?

i also often feel like i've done nothing. 20 years of living...i must have done something.

i don't know

it's hard to find something new to say

a lot of times i really don't really care much for small talk

i feel like it's just a waste of time and words

i wish we didn't fundamentally need other people

i'd be perfectly happy happy alone by myself and my thoughts, playing videogames practicing my guitar, trying to draw and paint, study more

screw other people I'd just devote my time to developing my body and mind with out a regret or drop of melancholy what so ever

but biology did not program us this way

so it seems that small talk and group stuff is something our psyche needs

hmm try new movies current events music

things you care about or just something you've been thinking about recently

maybe go over what you're going to say in your head before hand and then practice saying it out loud

this is something hard to do, but just prolonging the isolation won't help

like swimming, eventually you've just got to dive right in

good luck

:)

evanescencefan91 said:
i don't know

it's hard to find something new to say

a lot of times i really don't really care much for small talk

i feel like it's just a waste of time and words

Just a thought...perhaps EVERYTHING we do and say is a waste of time. Really, if you think about it in a positive view, it really takes off a lot of this bullshit pressure we put on ourselves. We should just try not to think of it as "Ah fresia it! None of this matters anyway!" rather think about it as, "Ah, fresia it. None of this matters anyway." (with a smile)

All we can hope from any of what we say and do is that it will do some good. Making small talk with people, or just listening to whatever, however seemingly meaningless, things others have to say may seem tedious, tiring and pointless to some of us.

But if they're getting enjoyment from talking (which obviously so many people do), or if its helping them to get honeysuckle off their chests, then we are doing good. Even if it's just sitting there feeling shitty about the situation. And I dont know about all of you, but after sitting through those conversations, after the gathering breaks up and Im back home again, I defenitely feel some good inside for going through it. Definitely better than I would have felt had I just sat at home (which I always am telling myself I would rather be doing when Im on my way over to what ever it is!) So that's something. Listen to "Wasting Time" by Jack Johnson if you havent before.

i wish we didn't fundamentally need other people

Same here. Luckly (tragically?), with how advanced our species and society is, we now have the choice whether we want to be part of the "tribe" or not.

I dont think it's absolutely fundamental for us to need other people. Perhaps that's a bold statement comming from a person at a loneliness forum, but Im going to keep rolling with it anyway. fresia it, right?

Perhaps we're all here (at this forum) because of that very belief; that we are meant to have people in our lives. And we feel bad/guitly/generally shitty for not having people, or as many as wed like to have, or as many as we think we are supposed to have.

Or perhaps it is indeed a biological and psysiological truth, and all this drivel Im spouting is my own attempt at denying it...as hard as I can because I want it to not be true for myself SO ******* BAD. I dont want to need people either. I want to believe that I dont, even though I know deep down that we all do.

But since I still want to believe I dont, Ill continue to try and argue it...So think of it this way...perhaps this belief that we have an undeniable, innate need for others, true as it may be, is just being hammered into us (maybe being hammered-the-fresia OUT of us) by a society of myspace, facebook, cell phone, bluetooth earbud, text, instant message and chat users that, now, cant ever take their minds OFF being around and connected to people? Hmm? Maybe that's why we're all here questioning this honeysuckle that should not be questioned...it's just gotten to be way too much and we dont know what to do anymore.

i'd be perfectly happy happy alone by myself and my thoughts, playing videogames practicing my guitar, trying to draw and paint, study more

screw other people I'd just devote my time to developing my body and mind with out a regret or drop of melancholy what so ever

Yeah.

but biology did not program us this way

*sigh* Yeah.

so it seems that small talk and group stuff is something our psyche needs

Perhaps more for some than others. Could it be that we just need a very very small amount? And the majority of others seem to have an inquenchable thirst for it? Are they driving us away with intimmidation?

hmm try new movies current events music

things you care about or just something you've been thinking about recently

maybe go over what you're going to say in your head before hand and then practice saying it out loud

this is something hard to do, but just prolonging the isolation won't help

like swimming, eventually you've just got to dive right in

good luck

:)

Great thread Silvernight and great reply evanescence. Likewise to the rest of you who replied. Good night.

By the way, if anyone else here gets as annoyed as I do by the smilies to the left of the post text-box while you're writing your message, (particularly the one bashing the other one with a club over and over; sorry, but that drives the honeysuckle out of me!) anyway, post-it notes work great! ;) <---I know, Im a **** hypocrite.

i have a feeling you are really shy at first. then, when the conversation has started... people forget that you exist, simply because humans normally can only focus on a person at a time. especially when the conversation gets really exciting.

a good method of hopping into a conversation is be kinda loud. i know it sounds rude... but, if someone says something laugh.....and be like "HAHA THATS FUNNY... WELL, THIS HAPPENED TO ME....." and there you have it..... you will probably be heard.

dont like YELLLLLL, unless you are with a drunken crowd thats already loud.

okay wait..................................................

small talk...

so...

small talk is an easy way to talk about nothing...true?

you talk about the weather...the hockey game... whatever.....usually NOT your personal life... because lets face it.... who the HELLL wants to hear about how you got dumped, or robbed, or how your mother beats you. There are just some things better left unsaid....

some good tips with small talk (i think) are...
-stating the obvious -"hey look at that sign... thats a very big sign"
-laughing
-expressing your own opinion
-objecting to opinions
-agreeing with others
-talk about your weekend (movies, dates, drunkness, et c)
-talk about common things you guys like
*movies
*videogames
*sexy womennnnnnnnnnnnn <-------one of my favourites

i used to be the quietest person in elementary school... now i never shut the hell up... and WHYYYYY should I? I believe i should be heard as everyone else.

i think that seriously depends on people that you're talking to..

i couldnt find a way how to talk to my ex classmates in highschool mostly because i had a feeling of insecurity because it seemed pretty much that i wasnt having their respect.
I really tried to get involved by asking questions about the topic that was being discussed but i got ignored more often that was necessary.
One made a funny comment and someone replied with another funny comment.
no one would even mind me simply asking: "where did you hear that" because usually i had no slightest idea what they're saying or i didn't have any strong opinion to share with them.

now in college are things different, because somehow i managed to at least get the "respect" part and i'm being listened to. But it's so much easier in a big group than just a conversation with one person. I could get relaxed when there's more people around and they don't expect me to be interesting all the time and i hated the moments when someone left and asked "if anyone goes the same way". That sometimes applied to me and being all cool and relaxed as i was trying to look like, i went with that person.

With some of them things got really weird in the awkward silence kind of way. I swear i'd rather go alone. But somehow you manage to figure out what that person likes to talk about..
so there's one that enjoys talking about getting drunk, what he and his friends did, how crazy that party was. I can't really say much to him but atleast it gets him talking.

the worst thing i did once was that i rambled about everything, pretty much the things that johnaboy mentioned lol, not makind heads and tails at all. And the guy mostly kept quiet. I wanted to shoot myself when i was alone, because he was one of the "respected, funny people" and i was sure he thought i was an idiot.
Well luckily, things later turned out okay because the guy himself found a topic to discuss with me.
It was concerts lol.
For some reason he thinks i'm a concert person. So the last time we spent like.. 30minutes or more talking about concerts, well.. he talked.. i was mostly like "really! awesome, yes, seriously, how cool" and sometimes i added some wannabe opinion that sounded cool. lol. And i was happy because it was obvious that he could have gone away if he had really hated me.

So the point is.. being quiet in a 2 person conversation is much much better than talking honeysuckle. Why would you have to try and be funny when there's a second person here too? =)

goodjob! now, go make another friend. the more you live... i notice... the more there is to talk about...

what i mean by "live" is..... doing something new with new people. it gives you more things to talk about, and knowledge of anything.

johnayboy said:
i have a feeling you are really shy at first. then, when the conversation has started... people forget that you exist, simply because humans normally can only focus on a person at a time. especially when the conversation gets really exciting.

a good method of hopping into a conversation is be kinda loud. i know it sounds rude... but, if someone says something laugh.....and be like "HAHA THATS FUNNY... WELL, THIS HAPPENED TO ME....." and there you have it..... you will probably be heard.

small talk...

so...

you talk about the weather...the hockey game... whatever.....usually NOT your personal life... because lets face it.... who the HELLL wants to hear about how you got dumped, or robbed, or how your mother beats you. There are just some things better left unsaid....

-laughing
-objecting to opinions
-agreeing with others
*movies
*videogames

i used to be the quietest person in elementary school... now i never shut the hell up... and WHYYYYY should I? I believe i should be heard as everyone else.

o_O

EveWasFramed said:
johnayboy said:

small talk...

so...

-laughing
-objecting to opinions
-agreeing with others
*movies
*videogames

o_O

scruffy_futurama.jpg

I'm scruffy, the janitor.

Honestly, I just think that people want someone that will listen to them. Time and time again, I have come across people that would just randomly go on and on about whatever to me. Of course, during every pause, I would give my take on whatever is being said. Perhaps give some advice, or make some humerous comment. Whatever was appropriate at the time. I dunno if I have some sort of magnetic personality, but it seems like people are just drawn to me. Negative and Positive people, but people none the less. All in all, they just want someone that will listen.

Thought I'd mention... I have noticed it is much easier for me to chat with people of similar zodiacal signs. As an Aquarius, I find it easiest to communicate with Libras and other Aquarians, somehow it requires little to no effort. It's very telling that pretty much all my more or less close friends had been Libras. A couple of days ago I returned from a two-week tour across eleven European countries (I took a risk and went alone, by the way), but I had no problem finding company, which really surprised me, because it's usually the opposite. As it later turned out, the two people I got along with best (who also went alone) were both Aquarians. So I suppose I was lucky. Often, when I have great difficulty talking to anyone in a group, their Sun signs turn out to be rather different from mine or completely incompatible.

Well, I'm in the South. Once someone starts a conversation here, the people involved usually end up finding that they are either related to, or friends of a friend of the all people present. :p In the South, it's not, "what do you do", it's :WHo do you know?" :p

But seriously...

I can usually come up with something to chat with friends or strangers about. I stay pretty up to date on local and world news and events, so I always have some fact or recent event I can talk about. I know it sounds silly, but if someone mentions something that's going on in the world today, I usually have at least a few minor facts that I can throw in. I have my home page set to see the most recent news and events, so it's the first thing I see when I get on line.

Maybe that will help a little. :p

Latest posts

Back