Not sure what I am doing with my life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike510

Reaction score
Alright so I was a member on here years ago, the problems I used to face came from someone I trusted turning there back on me. I got over that some time ago, I was feeling happy and became engaged to my girlfriend, yet something just isn't right. It's not the relationship I love that, it is that I am 26 and unemployed and have no other close friends that my Fiancée. The thought of having friends is appealing but I remember in the past when ever they need someone to talk to I was there but when I needed someone to talk to they disappeared. I have grown content with the no close friends situation but I am 26 and haven't worked a regular honest job in my life. I did a job that I can't ever list on my employment resume for personal reasons that got me a lot of money at the time. I have been living off of it the past couple years but it's dwindling and I have tried applying for work since then but the reaction is always the same, "Wait your 26 and haven't worked for anyone before?". I thought I got weird looks when I was 24 and started this, but not I am 26 I might as well just not even bother. I have a college degree, although it is only in general studies I figured it would have counted for something, but I spent two years following college taking care of a sick family member as well as doing the private work I spoke of. Yet none of this seems to matter unless I have worked at a business or store. It is bothering me more now because I spent everyday for a month either applying for jobs from the minute I got up till the minute I sat down for dinner or I drove to these stores/business and asked to speak to the managers. I am beginning to feel nervous that I will eventually be dependent on someone else because I will never find work.

What about doing voluntary work in order to gain some experience?

I had a gap of a little over a year when I was between jobs, so I just put "online sales." One manager saw that and asked about it and I told him I did ebay for that time period and was successful at it (I actually do ebay, and have been since 1999, so I was telling the truth). He smiled and then mentioned how he thought that was neat and his wife sells stuff on there, from time to time. I ended up getting the job.

I think filling in that gap is important and maybe there is something you can put on your resume that shows you were working, but not raise any eyebrows....went around your area doing car washes and detailing, mowed lawns and did odd jobs for people in your area, bought wholesale items and/or thrift store items and sold them at the flea market. That way you fill in the gap and there really isn't any way they can call you out on it.

Latest posts

Back