Over educated and under qualified

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsuhideakechi

Reaction score
So, I've been trying to get a job for the past 6 months to no avail. I keep finding that I get passed over for jobs because I am either over educated or "lacking experience". How am I ever supposed to get experience in any field other than fast food(can't even get that because I'm way over educated) if all the "entry level jobs" require 3years experience doing that job. I have to wonder why I should even bother trying if it is so clear that unless you "know a guy that knows a guy" you can't get any work after college.

is anyone else having similar problems?

(Ps I'm in America)

I have similar problems. Mostly under educated and under qualified for me though. =P
I mostly just get by from working my ass off.

I've worked with many people in fast food/restaurant jobs that have degrees. I don't think being over educated is holding you back.

Fast food managers would rather take someone that seems reliable and responsible over some kid that doesn't give a fresia about anything.
After all, they have to actually work along side the people they hire.

Do you have any experience? You can build a resume with anything really.

If you cannot find a job, what about internships for the experience. I would explain to the people hiring interns that you need experience to build your resume, that is what they are for.

Also, put yourself out there as much as possible, have you tried career builder, or linkedin? I have had job offers from both.

I have a job, and I have applied for others that are more desirable, and I am having that "experience" problem as well. Sometimes you just have to wait for someone to take a chance on you. Goodluck!

Here are some tips, I had a similar problem trying to get a full time job while in education. Hope they help: -

- Voluneering, it is a way to get something on your CV & get experience. THIS is more valuable to an employer, a qualification is just seen as an entry "Oh he has that" sorta thing. (you cant always expect to get the work where you volunteer but as long as it is in the same field of work, it will benefit you)

- Job Hunting, as the UK is a heavily populated scrap of land, people are fighting over jobs. Sending emails and letters does not seem to cut it nowadays, so many people can bombard their CV through the post & email that it will just end up on some random desk for a person to go "Bin It"... When I was at college & uni here is how I got work...

~ I made my CV stand out, make it look and sound professional as possible and even putting it on coloured card makes it stand out in the pile of hundreds. I use the companies & government bodies I am associated with & have/still done work for, it is eye catching and stands out.
~ I packed my bag full of CVs & cover letters and I literally walked miles upon miles. (This was the stage where I had ran out of work when I was in my teens while at college and didnt have a full time job) I went in every shop, every industrial estate & every where I could find a business. I made sure I was well dressed (not TOO well dressed but looked tidy) and presented myself in a happy, professional & enthusiastic manner.
~ I was young, had college/uni bills coming up (I had enough to pay them for a while with past work but I like to be ahead of my game) and would have took any job.
~ At the end of the day although most shops turned around and said "No we don't accept CVs" or "You have to do it online" I got 4 job offers, which isn't much considering I walked within a 15 mile radius of my mothers house and got a bus further into cities I didnt have time to walk to. I was out from 8am and I got home at 7pm.
~ 1 Cleaning Job offer, 1 Job at a Printing Company and 2 Jobs in the industry I was training/being educated in (Arboriculture).

Yes it seems like a lot of hard work, but that is how I stood out from the crowd a couple of months of applying for jobs daily online and via post got me no where, and in 1 day I got 4 offers, it was worth it. (and years later I still work for one of those companies and sub-contract once in a while to the other) :3 Sorry for the block of text & hope it was helpful.

(In Addition: - Appearance, attitude & in some cases in the UK, the way you speak e.g. accent may affect you getting a job; I have extremely long hair, there is a lot of prejudiced towards it by some & I have a thick accent which I have to try hide when in a professional situation)

Latest posts

Back