panic attacks in class

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I saw a psychogist. It was kind of weird. She thinks its panic inside me from my childhood wanting to come out or something, pretty stereotypical if you ask me. She proposed to go into this weird therapy in which I also see a physiotherapist (because it's also related to the body), apparently it's very effective. She also said not to avoid the panic attacks, obviously this will be hard. Also because after next week we'll be working almost entirely individually. I'm not sure if this treatment is the right one, I might consult my GP about it.

Anyway, I'll send the head of my department a mail and maybe arrange for us to speak privately, and next week I'm seeing the councellor in school again. I'm on my way to school now, It's just listening to lectures and music improvisation today so I guess I should be fine. I hope I feel capable of going to class tomorrow too.

aspalas said:
So I saw a psychogist. It was kind of weird. She thinks its panic inside me from my childhood wanting to come out or something, pretty stereotypical if you ask me. She proposed to go into this weird therapy in which I also see a physiotherapist (because it's also related to the body), apparently it's very effective. She also said not to avoid the panic attacks, obviously this will be hard. Also because after next week we'll be working almost entirely individually. I'm not sure if this treatment is the right one, I might consult my GP about it.

Anyway, I'll send the head of my department a mail and maybe arrange for us to speak privately, and next week I'm seeing the councellor in school again. I'm on my way to school now, It's just listening to lectures and music improvisation today so I guess I should be fine. I hope I feel capable of going to class tomorrow too.

Psychodynamic therapy I think. Interesting. Thankfully, I've heard it CAN actually help with these sort of issues. And sometimes, psychological therapy can include physical aspects as well.

I hope all goes well. :)

I think one of the most important things is how you are able to relate to that particular shrink..don't be to judgemental at least at this stage...be open and honest and if you have concerns about the suitability of the treatment discuss this with her...don't allow yourself to have concerns about the therapy itself and just opt for containing it...rather than drawing it very clearly to her attention...

Yeah I know... I think I'll just do it. I actually feel a lot better at the moment. I'm not thinking about it all the time anymore. I wonder if I can stay this relaxed when I actually will face a situation in which I had a panic attack earlier. I hope so at least.

I guess in part the fact that you are unwilling to permit the attack to dominate your total functioning...unpleasant, uncomfortable, possibly frightening..but ultimately within your control...and with further exposure it will have less impact...So you can see where your therapist is coming from 😗

Very glad to hear you're doing okay so far. :)

If it turns out that you wind up having a panic attack, well, sounds like you're making progress. Pretty quickly too. I hope it keeps working well.

One thing the psychiatrist told me is just to make sure I am the first one to speak in group situations. Obviously I'm not always in control, but I already figured out that works. I'm also trying to get more comfortable around my classmates. Some of them are in the music improvisation class I have so I know them know, there is actually just 1 person I haven't spoken to personally in the class, so it's more familiar anyway. I guess it's best to do the therapy anyway since I'm not very comfortable in more private situations either, and I haven't experienced a situation where I'm required to speak in a group since the last time I had a panic attack.

I'll keep you posted on this, it might come in handy for anyone else who has similair issues. I'm going to write a sort of diary about all my experiences (just to keep track of everything that's happening and what people are telling me / what I think about it) , I'll share it with anyone who likes to.

So today I'm going to the class in which I had panic attacks for the first time 2 weeks ago... I'm kind of scared but I hope for no reason.

Hope it goes well....in the event you have any difficulty, your in a better mindset and more able to take control...maybe not to the degree you would wish initially but that will resolve itself over a little more time...keep us posted 🙋

So I was comfortable, we were in a small group which was nice. I could participate in discussions and stuff without any problem, but then we had to present our research again... Since I hadn't been there for a while I had nothing (the teachers know this and it's fine), but while I was waiting for my turn I just got this feeling again. Now I'm on the toilet (I actually had to take a number 2) waiting for them to finish... I guess this waiting is the largest trigger for me, I can't stand it. At least I know this for sure now, so I guess it can help me beating it.

I'm pretty uncomfortable now though... Also waiting for them to finish is killing me, I don't want to walk in having to talk or something.

Try tricking your brain...It will be difficult but think about something else, find your "happy place" and reside there. Everything is in your head and you should start resetting it. I know how you feel, believe me, but will power will heal you.

Hi Aspalas,

I'm a life coach and I wanted to share with you some helpful tips that I give to my clients....

1. Don't be afraid. It is temporary. You've done it before, you can do it again. Not being afraid will take the power away from Anxiety.

2. Move, Moving helps your mind and body stay empowered. Pace the floor, walk around the house, go outside for a walk.

3. Talk. Anxiety held in has more poer. Stay with people, call someone. Say aloud all of the thoughts in your head. THis takes the power away from them.

4. Breathe. DOnt forget to breathe. You can do it. This won't last.

5. Feel empowered. Keep faith and trust in yourself...You go this!

By: Jodi Aman

I believe the more you give into it the more it will be harder for you to get out of it and it will consume you. Try these steps, see if it works for you. I also recommend, Yoga and meditation...it will help relax you as well.

and the most important thing is don't forget to Breathe....when you feel an attack, take a minute and go somewhere and count to 20....
Hope this helps.

I'm sorry for writing such a long story, but I'd appreciate it if you read it.

Hi there. Haven't posted here for a while because I've actually been doing pretty well overall, until now. This year I started with a new small-scale media art/music bachelor, we're with a small group and discuss/talk a lot in groups of around 20 persons during, most courses are attended by people from all years including the master. There's no "fixed" groups usually. So far for the background info.

2 weeks ago a small workshop started, and it started off just sitting at a table, introducing ourselves. At that point I had the most terrifying experience I've ever had, I think I had a serious panic attack, I literally felt like I was about to die and walked out of the classroom, eventually using "I don't feel well" as an excuse. The whole week I was kind of shocked by this experience, but everything else went well, tho I hadn't been in the same sort of "setting" (around the table with full attention of everyone) anymore. I knew there was something wrong because for the past few months I've had some similair but way less intrusive experiences too, more about this later.

Well, today it happened again. A new course started, we had to do some research in small groups, and tell the group about it on 2 occasions that day. Both times I also was so extremely anxious that I just blacked out and walked away. My heart was racing, there was some strange pressure on my chest, I could barely hear or see anymore, I just was on a total meltdown. As you can understand, this was extremely awkward and I'm literally exhausted because of it, I can't stop thinking about it and I'm scared to death that it will happen again, it's making me extremely restless.

Additionally to all this, I've been having trouble in more casual social situations too. I sometimes get really shaky hands and moderate anxiety, once when I went out for dinner for instance with a friend and some of his friends and family because he graduated. I had a hard time lifting a glass of wine and not making it spill. Same thing happened this weekend at my grandma's birthday, resulting in me not drinking or eating anything in front of my own family. I just felt so uncomfortable that I couldn't do it. This was still fresh in my memory today, and also the first "panic attack" I told you about. I've been constantly thinking about it and I can't help but to think that being scared of this kind of stuff happening, actually makes it happen.

Anyway, I'm calling my general practitioner tomorrow first thing in the morning to send me to a psychologist or psychiatrist and mailed my university's "shrink". I'm not going to school tomorrow. I'll go wednesday again because the courses I have are just listening that day, I don't have to say anything. I guess I just wanted to write this off, and maybe get some support or tips. I also wonder if it's possible that this goes away or if there's any solution that makes it possible for me to participate in my studies and not being terrified every single day... So if anyone has (had) the same issues or has anything to say. I'd be incredibly grateful if you posted here.

By the way, I've never had these issues before. I've always had very little trouble with this, I've even spoken to large groups of people (100 or more) without being very nervous. That's what is making it so incomprehendable for me.
[/quote]

How are things going with your therapist? Do you think it may be worth asking her advice on seeking a medication that you could use 'as needed' before a presentation for example, that would offset the strength of the symptoms

First of all, thanks for the support and the tips :)!

@ sothatwasmylife, I've also been thinking about that. Wednesday I'm seeing her again, she gave me 2 weeks time to think about if want to do that therapy I talked about (I am going to). The coming month or 2 I won't have to go to school that much anymore because we will be working individually and there's the christmas break. The only thing is that friday we have a meeting to talk about what we are going to do (individually), and I'm not feeling like showing up because I'm pretty sure it will happen again. I'm also going to talk with the head of my department somewhere next week I guess, both to talk about my situation and I guess about my studies.

I do think I am somehow doing better in "normal" social situations. When the attack first occurred I was just scared all the time, I was even scared to go get a haircut. Now I'm taking my time to make some smalltalk during whatever I am doing (for instance when I'm doing groceries at the cash register, or when I'm shopping for clothing), and that's going better now. Obviously I am still kind of scared about everything that's happening to me, but I guess getting help will probably get a ball rolling, and trying to be as social as I can gives me at least a bit of confidence in myself

I'm not too worried about it anymore, especially since there's not that much pressure from my studies for the coming period. I'm looking forward to working on this... I've been thinking a lot lately about myself and my life and I guess there's a lot to discuss. It's not just panic attacks, I haven't felt really confident or really happy in a long time and I've been kind of drifting aimlessly through my life the past few years. Also I'm not sure if I want to continue my studies (for those who don't know, I study at an art school and music academy in some sort of joint electronic music/next gen art bachelor course), I don't feel at home in my department and I don't really see myself becoming an artist. I might go and study something else next year. All these things are probably causes of the panic attacks. I kind of feel like my life has been partially crumbling down and the panic attacks were just the last straw. I don't feel very depressed or something, but I do feel like I could be feeling/doing much better than I'm doing right now.

I'll keep you posted on my progress, and again thanks for the support and tips! (oh and sorry for the kind of incoherent post :p).

So I saw the psychologist today, she gave me some tips and in the beginning of 2015 I will start with that therapy. I hope everything goes better from here on out.

Good thread, here. I never got panic attacks really. I have ADHD.

"We the hooligans outside of school again Sayin don’t be a fool never follow rules again We the bad boys bully with the fully that The teachers say ain’t honeysuckle and in the need of discipline We the goddamn reason for ritalin In the back of the class, twitchin’ and fidgetin’ Dead wrong we never got along We laughed at the kids that was active participants Bad boy walk right past church with the work in a bag and a bible of Gideon Got suspended for bullyin' a bully When I go back to class I'ma punch him in his honeysuckle again."

This was pretty much me. I was bored with school. I never really got into fights unless I was defending myself, but yeah... There was some social anxiety, but it was mainly just too lame and stodgy for me. I regret not paying attention. I'm intelligent, but I'm more street smart than book smart. I wish I'd paid attention and read more books in school.

Thanks all. Feeling quite a bit better now I don't have to go to school during christmas break. I wonder how I'll cope with christmas, I've experienced some anxiety during my grandmother's birthday so I wonder if it will happen during christmas when my family gets together. I'm also a bit scared of a presentation of an artwork I have to do in the end of january, and I'm going to Poland with school for 2 weeks in February (which will also involve situations I had panic attacks in before), but I hope I'll just manage to do everything. I've been thinking a lot and I don't feel as miserable anymore. I'll keep you up to date about everything, again, thanks for the support!

Latest posts

Back