Side-effects

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabai.Youth

Reaction score
Hello

Gosh it's been a while since I have been on the forums. School sure does eat up a lot of time. I was wondering if there is anyone here who have experienced negative psycological side effect/s from antidepressents. If so I would like to hear your stories.

Yabai.Youth

I have. They made me very sleepy. A chemical sort of fatigued sleepy. This was on the generic form of Zoloft btw.

Currently I'm on St. John's Wort and it seems to have no negative side-effects. :)

SophiaGrace said:
I have. They made me very sleepy. A chemical sort of fatigued sleepy. This was on the generic form of Zoloft btw.

Currently I'm on St. John's Wort and it seems to have no negative side-effects. :)

How has the St. John's Wort been for you? I'm asking because I have tried two different antidepressents with no results. I'm not too keen on admitting this, but the new drug my doctor prescribed for me has made me obsessed with suicide.

Yabai.Youth said:
SophiaGrace said:

How has the St. John's Wort been for you? I'm asking because I have tried two different antidepressents with no results. I'm not too keen on admitting this, but the new drug my doctor prescribed for me has made me obsessed with suicide.

It works quite well. I feel a lift in my depression currently. I went off of it for a week and acquired a sort of mild-depression sort of mood.

You should try it. :)

note: do not take st johns wart if you are on any anti depressants, you will be at a high risk of getting serotonin syndrome which can be fatal. you can take one or the other but not both at the same time.

stella said:
note: do not take st johns wart if you are on any anti depressants, you will be at a high risk of getting serotonin syndrome which can be fatal. you can take one or the other but not both at the same time.

Thanks for this. x_x

My doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin two or three months ago. From what I understand (and have been told), it's different than most anti-depressants because isn't a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Instead, it works with dopamine (a different "pleasure" chemical in our brains).
For that reason, I've read that some doctors will prescribe it WITH a sertonin type of anti-depressant to combat the negative side effects (drowsiness, lethargy, etc).

I don't necessarily feel that my mood/out look has improved, but I think it gives me enough "umph" to get what I need to get done. For example, if I tell myself "well, I need to do my laundry", I just do it. Otherwise, I'd let clothes pile up in my closet until it's thigh-high on me.

It also decreases my appetite (not complaining), aids my insomnia, and it revs up my anxiety.

there was a moment in my life where i had no choice but to ask for professional help. it deeeply went against my grain. but at the time, i had no grain left. there wasn't even grain.

the temporary emergency assistance helped. the rest did not, and there were horrible side effects. i pressed on, and after 2 weeks, i refused any further professional help and medication.

it was very very difficult.

i kept pressing on. finding my own way.

i'm not saying its for everyone, but i am now much better (not "perfect") but doing much better. it took years. i did it on my own. although, would never refuse emergency help.

to me, and this is just me, some of it is chemical, much of it is not. and its always been more than one 'thing'.

in some situations, regarding chemical, broccoli helped. it gave me a 'superpower' brain so to speak, but could still sense the undertow, yet couldn't feel it as much. the 'undertow' i was feeling had a real reason to be there aside from chemical. but it was also mixed with chemical.

i actually laid off the broccoli, because i didn't care for the absense of emotion. (while sensing it was still residing within me)

(sounds like i may be joking, but i'm not). (and broccoli might not have the same effect upon you).

and broccoli doesn't always work. sometimes it is the weather. (not always) but sometimes.

Tesla was a pioneer of biochemistry. (wrong word, but close, i can't remember at the moment). but anyways, he had similar problems. and he found through himself, some of the sources.

i have this similar problem as well.

today was a very happy day for me. many things to be happy about amidst the other problems. but the undertow remained through it all, and it was STRONG. its been quite strong recently (along with other side effects), due to universal changes.

i have "real" reasons to be upset etc. as well. i also have reasons related to biochemistry.

right now, many people are very nervous, fragile, worried, more sad than usual, angry, etc..

there are specific days of the year i sense to truly watch out for! and believe me watch out! time to stay inside and hide!

anyways, sorry for rambling, but i'm thankful that you are concientious about things. it is very difficult, but i made it through many many various things without medication. i would never say the route i took is for everyone. this is just my experience.

good luck, i guess i wasn't much help, i wish i could help somehow.

Thanks Stella, I will ask my doctor about St. Johns' Wort on Monday. I've heard of it before but I am very skeptical about the effeicy of herbs.

I actually went to the After-Hours Emergency Clinic at the hospital because I wan't too sure about the medication. The doctor there was very good, she lowered my dosage and recommended me for cognitive-behavioural therapy.

Posted by csmswhs - Today 07:49 AM
there was a moment in my life where i had no choice but to ask for professional help. it deeeply went against my grain. but at the time, i had no grain left. there wasn't even grain.

the temporary emergency assistance helped. the rest did not, and there were horrible side effects. i pressed on, and after 2 weeks, i refused any further professional help and medication.

it was very very difficult.

i kept pressing on. finding my own way.

i'm not saying its for everyone, but i am now much better (not "perfect") but doing much better. it took years. i did it on my own. although, would never refuse emergency help.

to me, and this is just me, some of it is chemical, much of it is not. and its always been more than one 'thing'.

in some situations, regarding chemical, broccoli helped. it gave me a 'superpower' brain so to speak, but could still sense the undertow, yet couldn't feel it as much. the 'undertow' i was feeling had a real reason to be there aside from chemical. but it was also mixed with chemical.

i actually laid off the broccoli, because i didn't care for the absense of emotion. (while sensing it was still residing within me)

(sounds like i may be joking, but i'm not). (and broccoli might not have the same effect upon you).

and broccoli doesn't always work. sometimes it is the weather. (not always) but sometimes.

Tesla was a pioneer of biochemistry. (wrong word, but close, i can't remember at the moment). but anyways, he had similar problems. and he found through himself, some of the sources.

i have this similar problem as well.

today was a very happy day for me. many things to be happy about amidst the other problems. but the undertow remained through it all, and it was STRONG. its been quite strong recently (along with other side effects), due to universal changes.

i have "real" reasons to be upset etc. as well. i also have reasons related to biochemistry.

right now, many people are very nervous, fragile, worried, more sad than usual, angry, etc..

there are specific days of the year i sense to truly watch out for! and believe me watch out! time to stay inside and hide!

anyways, sorry for rambling, but i'm thankful that you are concientious about things. it is very difficult, but i made it through many many various things without medication. i would never say the route i took is for everyone. this is just my experience.

good luck, i guess i wasn't much help, i wish i could help somehow.

You know, it's funny, one of the reasons why I'm embarassed of my depression is because I have a comfortable life. I'm not rich, I would be considered as "lower middle class", but if someone was to meet me on the street, I don't think they would ever guess I'm depressed.

Yeah I have these mood swings that go along with the weather too. Especially when seasons change, and you can start to smell the winter air drifting into the summer landscape and vice versa. Very strange indeed.

Porman said:
do anti depressants have a comedown period that make you even worse to start with?

Yes they do. The doctor who I spoke with at the emergency room said that the "comedown period" usually lasts a week. It's because your body has suddenly been deprived of a large amount of serotonin. The emotional side-effects also occur when you start taking anti-depressents as your body has to get used to a sudden large amount of serotonin. Comming off anti-depressents is a stressful time for your body, thats why you need to ease yourself off; instead off seddenly stopping your medication.

In some countries, such as Germany, it is commonly prescribed for mild depression, especially in children, adolescents, and where cost is a concern.[5] A report in the Cochrane Review states,

The available evidence suggests that the hypericum extracts tested in the included trials a) are superior to placebo in patients with major depression; b) are similarly effective as standard antidepressants; and c) have fewer side effects than standard antidepressants. There are two issues which complicate the interpretation of our findings: 1) While the influence of precision on study results in placebo-controlled trials is less pronounced in this updated version of our review compared to the previous version (Linde 2005a), results from more precise trials still show smaller effects over placebo than less precise trials. 2) Results from German-language countries are considerably more favourable for hypericum than trials from other countries.[6]

Standardized extracts are generally available over the counter, though in some countries (such as Ireland) a prescription is required. Extracts are usually in tablet or capsule form, and also in teabags and tinctures. Herbalists are more likely to use a fluid extract than a tincture. The first recorded use of Hypericum for medicinal purposes dates back to ancient Greece.[citation needed] and it has been used ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort#Depression_treatment_use

An analysis of twenty-nine clinical trials with more than five thousand patients was conducted by Cochrane Collaboration. The review concluded that extracts of St. John's wort were superior to placebo in patients with major depression. St. John's wort had similar efficacy to standard antidepressants. The rate of side effects was twice lower than for newer SSRI antidepressants and five times lower than for older tricyclic antidepressants.[6] However, this review also noted that studies more favourably supporting the effects of St. John's wort as an antidepressant were predominantly from German-speaking countries. The authors could not rule out the possibility that some smaller studies from those countries were flawed and reported overoptimistic results.

National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and other NIH-affiliated organizations hold that St John's wort has minimal or no effects beyond placebo in the treatment of major depression[7][8] This conclusion is based primarily on one trial of 340 volunteers, with negative outcome conducted by NCCAM.[9] The authors of the study themselves, as well as several others, pointed out the low assay sensitivity of this study, and how only limited conclusions can be drawn from its results.[10][11] The same study also indicated that sertraline (Zoloft) has no positive effects vs. the same placebo.

St. John's wort has not been found to be effective for patients suffering from dysthymia, a less severe and more chronic variety of depression.[12]

Latest posts

Back