So why do people think/ feel/ believe that they are Alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlikeasilhouette

Reaction score
Man why do I feel so alone?(that's how I feel)

What makes you think/ feel/ believe that you're alone?

Because this is a world of lies and half-truths. People tend to look after themselves, and even when trust is earned it's hard to trust someone completely. On top of that people change. People, history, the future, life, death, god, all these things are uncertain. So why would anyone feel not alone in the midst of such uncertainty?

Even if I approach this world with the intent of being entirely honest about my life, there is no way to validate it. Words are limited when it comes to sharing your life with someone. No matter how I describe my past it is lacking and I cannot give you an accurate representation of it. There are visual dimensions, audio dimensions, smells, feelings, impressions, inspirations, that cannot be accurately shared, some of them can't even be accurately remembered. Thus we are forced into lies, half truths, or at the very least inaccurate representations. We "bullshit" with one another, but are are alone. There is no comfort nor intimacy in a world of lies, just lonely truth that is unreachable. When we lie to each other we do not find real intimacy.

It's easy to get the wrong idea about people, and dischord reigns supreme. Yes there is even the Dischordian religion. In such a world of chaos, even if there are people out there who have been through what we have, even if there is some form of spiritual oneness with God, we are still very much alone. What you get out of life is equal to the effort you put into it. Of course theres always the risk you will be building your foundation on the quicksand of lies.

If you have someone who is with you all the way, then you are lucky. Family, lifelong friends, and the very best of partners. Most of us don't though. We are forever chasing the grim shadows of faint traces of love. We humans have the ability to make interconnected machines that are so absolutely perfect we can fly to the moon, yet we ourselves are chaotic and cannot solve our problems. Problems such as bigotry, greed, racial intolerance, selfishness, the list goes on and on. We are an ignorant barbaric race of simpleminded fools.

Aside from all that, procedure is lacking. If we are alone and unable to be with like minded individuals then we are going to waste away on the world's bookshelf collecting dust. God, if he does exist, is not in charge of this world. In fact the Bible says that satan is. Each of us has challenges and abilities and we want to go where we are useful, where we can meet those who are like us, where we belong, but there is no order amidst the chaos. All of it is just the mess we make of it. We just have to do our best and hope things work out.

Maybe one day we'll put our perfect technology to use and unify the world under a computer god that analyzes every moment of every persons life. It would be able to assess talent and play the perfect matchmaker, make our lives easier, and though it violates privacy it will be for the computers eyes only. A real God that is actually present in our lives and actually gives a **** about our world. Not some self righteous fool who might come down after we've all annihilated each other to say "see I told you so. Humans can't rule this world on their own without messing up."

You can only rely on yourself, and sometimes you can't even do that. So tell me why anyone would feel they are NOT alone? Why would anyone feel they are cared about in the least? Aside from those lucky few who have real loyal lifelong companions. This is the better question. Your life is your own, you have to do it all yourself. There are no shortcuts. You say how can we feel alone; how can we not feel alone?

Despair said:
Because this is a world of lies and half-truths. People tend to look after themselves, and even when trust is earned it's hard to trust someone completely. On top of that people change. People, history, the future, life, death, god, all these things are uncertain. So why would anyone feel not alone in the midst of such uncertainty?

Even if I approach this world with the intent of being entirely honest about my life, there is no way to validate it. Words are limited when it comes to sharing your life with someone. No matter how I describe my past it is lacking and I cannot give you an accurate representation of it. There are visual dimensions, audio dimensions, smells, feelings, impressions, inspirations, that cannot be accurately shared, some of them can't even be accurately remembered. Thus we are forced into lies, half truths, or at the very least inaccurate representations. We "bullshit" with one another, but are are alone. There is no comfort nor intimacy in a world of lies, just lonely truth that is unreachable. When we lie to each other we do not find real intimacy.

It's easy to get the wrong idea about people, and dischord reigns supreme. Yes there is even the Dischordian religion. In such a world of chaos, even if there are people out there who have been through what we have, even if there is some form of spiritual oneness with God, we are still very much alone. What you get out of life is equal to the effort you put into it. Of course theres always the risk you will be building your foundation on the quicksand of lies.

If you have someone who is with you all the way, then you are lucky. Family, lifelong friends, and the very best of partners. Most of us don't though. We are forever chasing the grim shadows of faint traces of love. We humans have the ability to make interconnected machines that are so absolutely perfect we can fly to the moon, yet we ourselves are chaotic and cannot solve our problems. Problems such as bigotry, greed, racial intolerance, selfishness, the list goes on and on. We are an ignorant barbaric race of simpleminded fools.

Aside from all that, procedure is lacking. If we are alone and unable to be with like minded individuals then we are going to waste away on the world's bookshelf collecting dust. God, if he does exist, is not in charge of this world. In fact the Bible says that satan is. Each of us has challenges and abilities and we want to go where we are useful, where we can meet those who are like us, where we belong, but there is no order amidst the chaos. All of it is just the mess we make of it. We just have to do our best and hope things work out.

Maybe one day we'll put our perfect technology to use and unify the world under a computer god that analyzes every moment of every persons life. It would be able to assess talent and play the perfect matchmaker, make our lives easier, and though it violates privacy it will be for the computers eyes only. A real God that is actually present in our lives and actually gives a **** about our world. Not some self righteous fool who might come down after we've all annihilated each other to say "see I told you so. Humans can't rule this world on their own without messing up."

You can only rely on yourself, and sometimes you can't even do that. So tell me why anyone would feel they are NOT alone? Why would anyone feel they are cared about in the least? Aside from those lucky few who have real loyal lifelong companions. This is the better question. Your life is your own, you have to do it all yourself. There are no shortcuts. You say how can we feel alone; how can we not feel alone?

Yeah I believe that satan's in serious business. Butyeah I still am hoping and believing that someone out there will make us feel that we're not alone some how, people with transformed hearts.

thank you for answering though! :D

lol I'm surprised the OP didn't say "sorry I asked" after a reply like that.

Despair, there is some cause for optimism. You might calculate the odds of finding anything substantial to be set against you, but there's always the law of attraction to consider.

Like attracts like. If you constantly focus on negative things or how much life sucks you will get more of the same. What you feel is who you are; the universe interprets this as your wish. So if you focus on debt, but want more money the universe will grant you a wish of more debt.

Mother Theresa understood the law of attraction. She was invited to an anti-war rally, but refused. She said if they have a pro-peace rally to invite her, but not an anti-war rally. There's a war on terrorism, a war on drugs, etc etc etc, but this continues to emphasize the negative and give it strength. This is just an example I remember.

For a better definition of the law of attraction watch the vastly successful movie "the secret." or buy the book. I hear it's been translated into like 20 languages.

As for the question: I feel alone right now because im a long distance relationship, I miss her, and barely get to speak to her.

Catharsis said:
lol I'm surprised the OP didn't say "sorry I asked" after a reply like that.

Despair, there is some cause for optimism. You might calculate the odds of finding anything substantial to be set against you, but there's always the law of attraction to consider.

Like attracts like. If you constantly focus on negative things or how much life sucks you will get more of the same. What you feel is who you are; the universe interprets this as your wish. So if you focus on debt, but want more money the universe will grant you a wish of more debt.

Mother Theresa understood the law of attraction. She was invited to an anti-war rally, but refused. She said if they have a pro-peace rally to invite her, but not an anti-war rally. There's a war on terrorism, a war on drugs, etc etc etc, but this continues to emphasize the negative and give it strength. This is just an example I remember.

For a better definition of the law of attraction watch the vastly successful movie "the secret." or buy the book. I hear it's been translated into like 20 languages.

yeah ive watched the movie 2 years ago. mainly revolves about the law of the attraction principle stating that feelings/thoughts can attract events and stuff. pretty interesting movie.

Spend more time with other people, I always feel lonely and depressed when I'm alone in my room, it's easier to not focus on negative thoughts when ur joking with other lively people.

And I think that some people are just lucky to have the right social upbringings to not have negative thoughts when they're alone, I'm an only child and sometimes i wonder if i'd be more positive if i had a sibling to talk to all the time.. but generally other people are what u need to keep urself happy, i guess we're all made to be lonely so that we'd be forced to go out and bond with other people, make memories, make babies and etc =/

Sway said:
Spend more time with other people, I always feel lonely and depressed when I'm alone in my room, it's easier to not focus on negative thoughts when ur joking with other lively people.

And I think that some people are just lucky to have the right social upbringings to not have negative thoughts when they're alone, I'm an only child and sometimes i wonder if i'd be more positive if i had a sibling to talk to all the time.. but generally other people are what u need to keep urself happy, i guess we're all made to be lonely so that we'd be forced to go out and bond with other people, make memories, make babies and etc =/

aw. gee thanks.
good point. but yeah some times the people the make you feel alone and depressed are your family members.

but in my case its mostly my friends that make me depresseed
:/
strange huh

I don't feel alone anymore becuse I'm more active. I go to work. I hang out with friends or bussied doing something.
The more I'm out and about ...the more I run into people or old freinds. I've been very, very social able so
that aspect of wanting to party hardy all the time. I belive I partied a couple of life time worth.

I have a couple of close friends male and female. They express and show me that love me as a person. I know they love me.

I've also raised a family and had the experince of not partying or being social all the time.
My focus shifted to taking care of my children and spending time with my GF...on top of work and school
We did a lot of family activites together.

I don't feel empty anymore. I know Chelle loves me. I love her very much and she has always
been important to me. The pains, guilt and shame I've carried around for so long had been healed.
I feel complete again. Whatever hurt I've cuased Chelle she has forgiven me. I know I was wrong.

I also know my parents loves me very much. Even though my father has problems or behavior issues.
He had applogized to me serveral times in tears and don't really understand why he dose what he dose to me sometimes.
He say he's trying...I know he's trying even though he reverts most of the time. I've establish a healthy boundary with my father
My mother on the other hand had always been, gental, kind and supportive to me.
I get alone with all of my sisters for the most part even though we're not really close. They all love me...I know this.

I was in a relationship with Sherry...I felt very lost, lonely and alone while living with her. It was a very. very toxic relationship.
Her alcoholism made life a living hell.

After Jenni died..I isolate myself...not so sure if I felt alone... I felt hurted more than anything.
Having gone through a deviorce, a couple of failed long term relationship. When Jenni came into my life,
I felt I had to climb montains, cross deserts just to be with her. And to have her died after all that...I just fucken gave up.
My heart was broken in a different way..not becuase it was a bad relationship or dramma. She was simply taken
out of my life.

I once read a quotation that said "Being around other people isn't the cause for loneliness it's the cause" (saw it in a video used by the comedian Daniel Kitson on his Stories for the Wobbly Hearted show but don't want to credit him if it's not due). I feel there is a great amount of truthfulness to the quotation.

I can feel dreadfully lonely when I'm on my own, however there's been many many times when I've thought that I needed to be with people to cure this. However when I've spent time with others it's made me feel worse, because so called friends and work colleagues we don't have that many similar interests or the activities I've been forced into partaking in to be with company are terribly drab and just so not me that I've felt incredibly isolated. Like there in body but not in mind, that I've wandered out of my vessel and I'm away doing my own thing whilst my body is there doing their thing. This is the main reason why I now choose to stay on my own rather than do things with others. Well it would be if I ever got the chance these days, but I can't deicide whether not getting the chance is a positive for my plan of wanting to be alone or negative in that no one wants to spend time with me.

imlikeasilhouette said:
Man why do I feel so alone?(that's how I feel)

What makes you think/ feel/ believe that you're alone?

I live alone in an area about an hour away from where I went to school. I've been here for about a year and still feel very alone.. some people are just meant to be alone I think. I go to work, I do my thing, come home, play a game. go out thursdays and some saturdays but always alone. Its pretty weird going to the bars/movies alone. I keep hoping i'll make a friend but usually don't even talk to anyone. So yea I literally spend every moment alone, only time I have social interactions is at work. Come home, haven't had a phone call from a friend in months, haven't had an IM from anyone in months, or facebook messages. I still try to keep in contact with "friends" from college but they are always busy. never iniitiate hang out or conversation.

So yea I think some people feel they are lonely because they are. I talk to my ex girlfriend even though it absolutely kills me because there isn't anyone else to talk to. I dunno, I don't get how people make friends... really don't.

Wow, why I am alone? It could be any one of many reasons:

1. I can take a while to feel comfortable enough to let it all hang out, maybe at first I am too closed-off and fail to let people get to know me; as a result, people don't think that I'm really anything special;

2. Once people get to know me I am either not what they want or not what they bargained for (this, no coincidence, is one of the many reasons online dating sites blow so hard - the reality of me must not live up to the idea of me or something);

3. I am a stone-cold freak.

cheaptrickfan said:
1. I can take a while to feel comfortable enough to let it all hang out

Really? You've been on chat less than a week and hot **** If you aren't stirring up a storm! :p

I know, I know... real life. The number of times I've said cock in real life this year: none. The number of times I've said it in chat: at least 100 and that's just counting last night :D

mintymint said:
cheaptrickfan said:
1. I can take a while to feel comfortable enough to let it all hang out

Really? You've been on chat less than a week and hot **** If you aren't stirring up a storm! :p

I know, I know... real life. The number of times I've said cock in real life this year: none. The number of times I've said it in chat: at least 100 and that's just counting last night :D

It's way easier to let things hang free online, because you can't see the disdain in their eyes. :p

Chat is $#&*-riffic.

people do feel alone.
but in order to remain sane,
they convince themselves that they are not alone.
or we would all kill ourselves.

Latest posts

Back