Social Blushing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
Does anyone else struggle with this condition? I blush almost every time I meet someone new or have to talk to someone I don't know very well. It's a social anxiety thing, not because I'm embarassed which is the reason most people blush. Sometimes it happens for no reason even. I could be sitting in class and it will randomly happen because of anxiety. Or, any time there is too much attention on me I will blush then too.
It isn't as bad as it used to be but still has the ability to ruin my life. People who don't have this problem will tell me "oh, it's not a big deal, no one notices." No, it is a big deal and people certainly notice. I am very fair and when I blush it's not pink, it's beet red, bordering on purple. Depending on my anxiety level I can stay this color for up to four or five minutes at a time. People get concerned and ask if something is wrong. It is hugely humiliating.
I'm just looking for someone else who struggles with this and understands how destructive it is.

I get this. I'm also incredibly pale and suffer from anxiety. For a long time I even thought it was Rosacea (I probably butchered the spellling). I know there are special facials that exist that can help reduce the amount of redness.

I buy expensive foundation to help mask it... Or have also gotten the habit of always having my hands near my face... Covering it.

shells said:
I get this. I'm also incredibly pale and suffer from anxiety. For a long time I even thought it was Rosacea (I probably butchered the spellling). I know there are special facials that exist that can help reduce the amount of redness.

I buy expensive foundation to help mask it... Or have also gotten the habit of always having my hands near my face... Covering it.

Shells, what brand of foundation is it? Funny story (kind of)...I was seeing a new dermatologist once and I started blushing. She thought it was Rosacea and actually wanted to put me on an antibiotic for it! I was like, no I'm just a spaz.

I use Estee Lauder's foundations -- the double extended kinds. I have yet to try the liquid foundations... But the powdered does a great job at cover-up.

It helps to shop around... Even going to the mall one day and talking to the make-up vendors. They're there to help you out. Be aware that they are trying to sell things to you -- so you have to be firm... Tell them you're shopping around. Go by how you genuinely feel/what you see about the make-up.

Besides, what better way to find out. Sure, it might be a little awkward. I blush even in tame social situations like that... But at least you'll definitely get to see which make-up is right if it's in action while at the mall.

I'm going to check into that brand. Right now I don't usually use foundation but it would probably help with confidence.

I guess I do that if someone says something that embarrasses me...which is pretty much anything when in public. I do it without even knowing it. My boss once made a comment that I was blushing and I hadn't even realized it, which lead to more teasing. I'm a guy, that's not something you want to happen.

BLUSHING IS CUTE.

WOMEN LOVE IT WHEN MEN BLUSH. MEN LOVE IT WHEN WOMEN BLUSH.

I honestly don't see why you think it's such a bad thing. It's endearing.

Badjedidude said:
BLUSHING IS CUTE.

Because it's not cute pink blushing at a socially acceptable time. It's deep crimson blushing that can happen several times with in one class or one interaction with a person. People get worried. They notice it's not normal and think I have a medical condition or that I can't breathe or something.

Lmao
"OMG! OMG! r u OK????"
yes
ppl tend 2 thnk ur going 2 drop
LoL

roguewave said:
Badjedidude said:
BLUSHING IS CUTE.

Because it's not cute pink blushing at a socially acceptable time. It's deep crimson blushing that can happen several times with in one class or one interaction with a person. People get worried. They notice it's not normal and think I have a medical condition or that I can't breathe or something.

It's also obnoxious when someone is like "OMG, DO YOU LIKE HIM? YOU WERE SO BLUSHING LIKE HARDCORE, OMG."

It's about as controllable as breathing or blinking.

take a klonopin to relax, that will help u with the anxiety so the flushing will not be so noticeable

shells said:
roguewave said:
Badjedidude said:
BLUSHING IS CUTE.

It's also obnoxious when someone is like "OMG, DO YOU LIKE HIM? YOU WERE SO BLUSHING LIKE HARDCORE, OMG."

It's about as controllable as breathing or blinking.

It can send people the wrong message for sure. That's one of the hardest things about it. People assume you are blushing because of embarrassment or because you have romantic feels for someone that you don't.

blushng makes me feel weak
h8 dat honeysuckle more than nethng else
BUT>>
the good news is?
i have had sum success w/using mental imagng 2 control it
only about 50% of the way there>>
but steadily climbng
if a girl says sumthng sexual tho?
im history
:rolleyes:
all the mental imagng goes out da window

Chasm said:
blushng makes me feel weak
h8 dat honeysuckle more than nethng else
BUT>>
the good news is?
i have had sum success w/using mental imagng 2 control it
only about 50% of the way there>>
but steadily climbng
if a girl says sumthng sexual tho?
im history
:rolleyes:
all the mental imagng goes out da window

That sounds interesting. What mental images do you use that you've found helpful? Usually I try and do the deep breathing exercises but they are not useful for blushing.

Actually, now that I think about it...

It could have to do with your blood pressure. If being in a social situation raises your anxiety level, it will also raise your blood pressure... which will in turn flush your face with blood.

Maybe anxiety meds would help? *shrug*

^^ That makes sense. Maybe anything that would help control blood pressure could potentially help people with this problem?

I blush so much and I hate it. I hate it because it is something you can't really hide.

roguewave said:
^^ That makes sense. Maybe anything that would help control blood pressure could potentially help people with this problem?

It's possible, and worth a shot. Maybe you should visit a doc and see how high your blood pressure is. If it IS high blood pressure, then you'd want the medication for a better reason than just avoiding blushing! :p

Might keep you alive!

Latest posts

Back