That time of year again...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyS13

Reaction score
For me, this is the time of year when longing for someone to love is strongest. It's painful when you have no one to love.

Valentine's Day is my least favorite day of the year. One reason is because people get all mushy and it drives me crazy. Not to mention all the commercials I hear on the radio while driving to college around this time of year. I have to turn the thing off whenever "Valentine's Day" is mentioned.

Does anyone agree that V-Day is overrated and should be replaced with "Singles Day" or something along those lines?

I think valentines day is probably great for people who are in love but yes maybe there should be a singles day aswell. Then again how would you celebrate being single?

No, forget singles day. In fact, forget valentines day. Give it up. Know that you don't need to conform to the expectations of others and evolutionary human psychology. Evolve from it, go above it and live.

tyler-durden-on-meeting-expectations.jpg

I find Valentines Day depressing as well, but Christmas and other 'special' times are just as difficult when you are alone. I am hoping that noone asks me today if I got any Valentines cards.

anthonyS13 said:
For me, this is the time of year when longing for someone to love is strongest. It's painful when you have no one to love.

Valentine's Day is my least favorite day of the year. One reason is because people get all mushy and it drives me crazy. Not to mention all the commercials I hear on the radio while driving to college around this time of year. I have to turn the thing off whenever "Valentine's Day" is mentioned.

Does anyone agree that V-Day is overrated and should be replaced with "Singles Day" or something along those lines?

I know what you mean. However, the older you get, the less it hurts. And it is only one day, all forgotten tommorrow.

I don't mind holidays such as Valentines Day and Christmas. Most single people (me included a good amount of the time) don't like it because they have to deal with lots of questions, having to watch others close to them engage in romance and not being able to do so themselves. I understand this can make these holidays pretty tough.

However, I urge you to remember that these holidays tend to remind every single person they are single, and as a result they become the best times of year for finding a significant other. Instead of wallowing away watching T.V in your house alone, go out for a coffee and read at a nearby Starbucks. It may suck to have to watch so many couples, but you'll also see a lot more interested singles than on an average day.

Huge hugs for anyone feeling bad this V-Day.

I felt awful last year, but I just take the mickey out of myself now and it all feels better when I get laughs from others :)

It's a crap "celebration", driven by corporate profit. I now just try and see it as a day that I might enjoy in future with someone, nothing more, nothing less.

Foxo said:
I don't mind holidays such as Valentines Day and Christmas. Most single people (me included a good amount of the time) don't like it because they have to deal with lots of questions, having to watch others close to them engage in romance and not being able to do so themselves. I understand this can make these holidays pretty tough.

However, I urge you to remember that these holidays tend to remind every single person they are single, and as a result they become the best times of year for finding a significant other. Instead of wallowing away watching T.V in your house alone, go out for a coffee and read at a nearby Starbucks. It may suck to have to watch so many couples, but you'll also see a lot more interested singles than on an average day.

I never thought of it this way before, that meeting someone is more likely at these sorts of times. I'm going out later on, and think that I will go earlier than I had planned so that I can test this out at a coffee bar.

I don't see what the point of VD Day is anyways even if you are dating someone. Such a huge waste of money. Prices get marked way up all because you are supposed to buy things for someone.

If you are going to get someone something, just wait till the prices go back down and then get it. You saved yourself some money and still accomplished the same task.

Its to punish people who forget to make the effort the other 364 days a year :)

Man, sitting in the bus today, seeing all the couples hugging and kissing, even overhearing some of them talking about how they will be with eachother throughout the lifetime.

Ay....what can you do....

the-alchemist said:
Man, sitting in the bus today, seeing all the couples hugging and kissing, even overhearing some of them talking about how they will be with eachother throughout the lifetime.

Ay....what can you do....

This is why I am avoiding any public places today. Maybe hit the car wash after work but after that it's straight home.

With or without someone... it is overdone for sure. We should be loving whoever it is the same everyday like that. Minus all the fancy gifts.

I had a coworker tell me this morning that he is taking a half day today. He said, "need to keep the woman happy. You know what I mean." I replied, "no, I don't know what you mean."
*laughs*

anthonyS13 said:

I agree, I do think it's overrated. But I can sense a bit of bitterness with the singles day thing. Love isn't just celebrated on Valentine's. I celebrate it every day.

It upsets me that people care, its just made up nonsense. While getting something is sweet I wouldn't actually care if I didn't.

Anyway isn't the whole point of valentine's day for singles? Isn't it supposed to be when you ask someone out? Will you be by valentine? Somewhere that got lost and it ended up being a day for boyfriends to get in trouble for not getting their girlfriend stuff.

Weird thing is people who are in love don't care!

Hugs to anyone feeling down but really there's no need.

the-alchemist said:

Smile? There are a regular couple on my bus to work who have been getting friendly over the past couple of weeks to the point where today he brought her some flowers and she gave him a card. It was incredibly sweet and they make a cute couple.

I’m old, lost and confused but refuse to be bitter about romance, sure it can be sickly sweet sometimes but the world is a much better place than it would be without it.

At the end of the day I’m in love with the idea of love all through the year, Valentines is just a day but those feelings keep me smiling.

Latest posts

Back