Tongue Tied and then you fail.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sway

Reaction score
Basically it's the age old problem, where boy meets girl, boy doesn't know what to say, and girl runs away thing.

I've just kinda noticed that when I'm in a group with a girl that I have a crush on, it always end up with me being tongued tied and indecisive every time that I try to talk. It leads to worse impressions than usual, and then what ever chance you had at the beginning just turns into "just friends.":(
Mind you I never had a GF so maybe that's my problem but....

Did anybody have this problem? and how did you solve it?

It'd be interesting to know different peoples take on it =/

I'm almost 23 and still have this problem. I haven't solved it.

My take on it is that it sucks ass. It's basically keeping me from talking to the cutest redhead I ever dun seen because I know she won't dig me.

Why can't we just be smooth like everyone else? There's this dope in my Speech class who's got a perfectly trimmed goatee, a nice smile, blah blah, and all he does is just...talk to the girls in our class (there's just the two of us guys and like...4 or 5 girls). And they immediately give him their undivided attention. I say something or tell a joke and I get the 'corner of the eye' glance. It took me forever to make myself tell that joke. What the hell, man?

It happens to everyone, guys....the key to getting past it is to use self-depreciating humor to soften the situation. Sometimes I get tongue-tied or start to say something and then forget what I was saying...

...so I just stop, look at the girl, and say, "You know what? I'm a retard. I forgot what I was going to say!" And amazingly usually that will get a laugh and the situation will be glossed over like it never happened.

Seriously. It's how you REACT to the tongue-tiedness that makes it awkward or not.

I have the same exact problem. It's just that I still suffer from it most of time, even though I have gotten better talking to girls lately.

I'd take badjedidude's advice though :), it sounds solid. He always gives good advice and knows a lot about it.

hahahaaaa..I used to get totally shited face. My tongue tie issue was resolved..I just slurrrr my words.:p

You're still stuck in the competing and comparing mode...in practice, if you're worried about some other dude.

Tease the chicks man...

Pultonic relationships. That's the pro of having female as freinds. You'll simply be more at ease talking to the opposite sex.
Depending how close you are to your female freinds...you'll simply talk the them about personal matters..which will require
you to open up at a deeper level. You're tongue getting un twisted is a by-product of that.

and exposure. If you have been with women...hawt women. Then it's all down hill from there.lol
Go out talk to talk to a veriety of people...after a while you'll get use to making small talks or ice breakers.
You don't have to tell jokes or have a serious conversation...just go with the flow...let her talk.
Then make repore with her

You're came on too stronge.
You gatta spoon feed her. If a woman is interested in ya..her body lanuage talks more than words.
If she's undecided...then just play it cool. Like... let her catch you looking then make eye contacts with her.
Then take deep breathe, look up and say OMG...silently. hahahaaaaa or just smile at her.
This way she knows you think she's totally awesume and it's just between you and her.
You gatta give her time to process it for a couple of days or weeks. If she's not interested she'll let you know.
Just act like you're stuck up to her too..fresia it. She's just another human being. Let her know...you're the honeysuckle.
If she's interested or sometimes she might be going through the samething you're going through.
She's start giving hints with her body launage. Then just say hi to her when you catch her looking at ya..hahahaaa

If she starts talking...then just go with the flow and RELAX.
The more relax you are the more relax she'll be.
The less internal confilcts you have the less she'll feel tension or vibe.
Stop trying to impress her. Don't say stupid honeysuckle like "WOW...you're so beautiful"..hawt babes hear that all day long..it's retarded to them.

Then one day you might even notice..she'll make herself avaliable to you...like she'll just be hanging out
giving you changes to talk to her and approach her.
No crazy pick up likes...no stupid jokes. She'll bascailly talk to you about any subject matters.
You're hanging out...without formally hanging out. Then build on that.
it depends on the woman and situations...sometimes i'd go to lunch or dinner with chicks...other times I went to the libuary and studied
with them..other times they take me home with them.

Or a variation on Badjedidude's line:

"You're so stunningly beautiful I've forgotten what I was going to say."

Maybe that's too corny - I've never used it myself, that's for sure!

If you have trouble talking to girls you've never met before, you could try a more structured environment. So speed dating, online dating, clubs, etc. where either you're given something to talk about, or else you've found out something about each other before hand.

AndrewM said:

Haha that's probably too cheesy to work. ;)

Maybe something more along the lines of, "I forgot what I was going to say! I always get nervous around pretty chicks." :p That's a bit less in-your-face and a little more mysterious.

A woman hearing this would think, "Is he saying I'm pretty? Does he hang out around other pretty girls? How often is he around pretty girls? This guy is shy; that's cute!".....something along those lines. :p

Lonesome Crow said:
Pultonic relationships. That's the pro of having female as freinds. You'll simply be more at ease talking to the opposite sex.
Depending how close you are to your female freinds...you'll simply talk the them about personal matters..which will require
you to open up at a deeper level. You're tongue getting un twisted is a by-product of that.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I agree with LC on the girls as friends point.

AndrewM said:
Or a variation on Badjedidude's line:

Maybe that's too corny - I've never used it myself, that's for sure!

lol

Talking to people in general is hard for me, be it online or in real life. I don't differentiate much between girls and guys as they both make me quite anxious. I've learned to play down the anxiety pretty well, but it's still a constant. I find that if you have some charm and a sense of humor girls will respond well even if you're being a (playful)jackass like you would be with your friends. After all, they're just people too... aren't they!? :p

Badjedidude said:
Maybe something more along the lines of, "I forgot what I was going to say! I always get nervous around pretty chicks." :p That's a bit less in-your-face and a little more mysterious.

A woman hearing this would think, "Why does this guy smell like garlic? Why's he so weird and talking to me? Does he know there's food stuck is his teeth? Life would be awesome if he'd go away. God, I HATE GARLIC..."

Fixed for me

LOL awwwwww poor Brian. :p

Try talking to minty about some altoids for that garlic breath. ;) haha

lol thanks for the input guys, it's good to know that even experienced ppl have these awkward moments :p

Latest posts

Back