Traveling Alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really considering taking a working holiday by myself in New Zealand sometime in the next year. I have been considering this for some time. Who knows if I'll have the nerve to go through with it.

Antihero said:
I'm really considering taking a working holiday by myself in New Zealand sometime in the next year. I have been considering this for some time. Who knows if I'll have the nerve to go through with it.

DOOO ITT MAN!!!!!, DOOO ITTT.
Love the little comic strip btw.. :)

Antihero said:

I second ahaikulife. If you have the time, money and courage, do it! Taking a working holiday in New Zealand has been one of the only genuinely satisfactory things I have done in my life. Besides breaking the mindnumbing conformity of life back home, it has infused me with renewed positivism, curiosity and completely expanded my previously limited view of life and the wonderful, diverse people inhabiting it. Sure, there's moments of loneliness, but those are usually counterbalanced with the excitement of exploring new places and meeting new people; New Zealand is like a modern melting pot with a multitude of different cultures intermingling and tons of solo travellers always willing to socialize and exchange experiences. And, best of all, there's plenty of activities and achingly beautiful landscapes to occupy your time and thoughts if you're searching for moments of excitement or contemplion :)

Like you, I was terrified at the prospect of facing the world alone, but now I'm actually afraid of going back home to resume my boring, hollow life. I'm afraid the part of my soul New Zealand has nourished will die.

Antihero said:

You really should. The future is not wrought by timid men, remember? It could and would likely be a really awesome experience.

When I was 16yo I traveled to Moncton, New Brunswick for a "Jr." chess tournament.(18yo and under) It's about an hour's drive away from where I live in New Brunswick. Not my most pleasant trip I'll you. I was walking down the road to the building where the tournament was being held. On the way, I saw a guy in a suit scraping blood off a bench. Detective I guess.

I think traveling alone is just fine. I've done it many times. I've even sat alone in restaurants having dinner. I'm planning a cross-Canada trip starting next spring for a few months, just me and my little dog (if he makes it, he's 17 years old). I have no qualms about being alone at all. If I had someone to go with me that would be great, but I'm not going to wait for it. I like the freedom, and it's true that you will meet people along the way too, I don't think it'll be lonely at all.

Montreal Skye said:
I think traveling alone is just fine. I've done it many times. I've even sat alone in restaurants having dinner. I'm planning a cross-Canada trip starting next spring for a few months, just me and my little dog (if he makes it, he's 17 years old). I have no qualms about being alone at all. If I had someone to go with me that would be great, but I'm not going to wait for it. I like the freedom, and it's true that you will meet people along the way too, I don't think it'll be lonely at all.
Jesus Christ! 17yo!? Wow. What kind of pooch is he? Is he a purebred?

LoneKiller said:
Jesus Christ! 17yo!? Wow. What kind of pooch is he? Is he a purebred?

Don't get me started with the doggie talk, I guarantee it will become intolerable. ;) He's a pug, he was the runt of a litter from a puppy mill that was since closed down by the local government (thank goodness). I got him when he was just 3 months old. Spencer:

Spencer+Lil+Slugger.JPG

I worry about traveling with him only because of his age, I was concerned he may not handle the heat/humidity of camping for 3 months.

My empty house is to quiet (wouldn't ya know just now my neighbor started the loudest push mower in the country..)

Latest posts

Back