Went to a movie alone and... LIKED IT!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeoneSomewhere

Reaction score
There have been quite a few debates here about going to the movies alone. Well, inspired by them, I had my go at it and I must say, it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be.

For starters, the hall wasn't packed so I was really comfortable. I didn't miss my friends one bit and most importantly, I enjoyed the movie (could concentrate well on the storyline, only if it weren't for those stupid 3D glasses!).

So yeah, I've decided that I love going to the movies alone and I will do it, at least once a month, to grow comfortable with being alone (I like it for the most part, I just haven't grown used to it yet) and to grow a pair.

Just wanted to share... :)

That's awesome! Good for you for taking that step you wanted to take. I used to work at a movie theater and watched movies alone all of the time, for free. It was awesome, and I could see whatever I wanted and enjoy the movie by myself! It was so great. I wish I had a car so I could take myself to the movies often. We have a theater here that shows brand-new released movies for $3.

That's great, SomeoneSomewhere! :) That inspires me to try the same thing sometime, so thanks for sharing. What did you see?

That's great, SS!

Inspire said:
That's awesome! Good for you for taking that step you wanted to take. I used to work at a movie theater and watched movies alone all of the time, for free. It was awesome, and I could see whatever I wanted and enjoy the movie by myself! It was so great.

That is uber cool. I want that job. :O

Good stuff!

I used to go to movies alone all the time when I was at uni. My uni was right near a cinema that did great student prices (£2.50, about 6 years ago but that was still a really decent price), and there was one day a week where I had a really awkward schedule that meant I had a lecture at 9am and then not another until 3, so that cinema became my regular "time killing" exercise

SomeoneSomewhere said:
There have been quite a few debates here about going to the movies alone. Well, inspired by them, I had my go at it and I must say, it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be.

For starters, the hall wasn't packed so I was really comfortable. I didn't miss my friends one bit and most importantly, I enjoyed the movie (could concentrate well on the storyline, only if it weren't for those stupid 3D glasses!).

So yeah, I've decided that I love going to the movies alone and I will do it, at least once a month, to grow comfortable with being alone (I like it for the most part, I just haven't grown used to it yet) and to grow a pair.

well done !

I can't think of any good reason to go see a movie alone. The fact that we have cinemas is so people can gather together and share the experience, I have lost massive amounts of interest in movies since becoming single, I just don't see the enjoyment in it.

Nice But Dim Jim said:
I can't think of any good reason to go see a movie alone. The fact that we have cinemas is so people can gather together and share the experience, I have lost massive amounts of interest in movies since becoming single, I just don't see the enjoyment in it.

some people (like myself), we don't have a choice. We have nobody to go with. So we would miss films we want to go and see.

Once you do it once and realize that people don't look at you and point then it becomes easier and more enjoyable.

Nice But Dim Jim said:

Sex is a good reason. It's in so many of the movies whether it belongs or not and, at least for me, it's **** awkward watching sex with anyone but a romantic partner.

I've done it on occasion, too, but it's expensive for a solo outing when I could be watching movies at home. :(

Glad you had fun.

Good to hear. I sometimes like to do stuff alone too, but I prefer to be alone in other cities/countries. I went out to buy some clothes once in my hometown (a small city) and I ran into people I know, pretty awkward. I do enjoy travelling alone, having a coffee or whatever alone, or buying anything that's not clothes alone.

Good on you! A friend of mine does it sometimes. It's generally seen as slightly 'Sad' but I don't really see a problem with it. If you want to see a film and no one else is up for it, what can you do?

SomeoneSomewhere said:

Going to the movies alone when it's really busy, sucks! BUT going alone when the theater is pretty much empty, is great. There's nobody there to remind you that you're alone. No couples, no groups of friends, nothing. Just you, your popcorn, and hopefully a great movie.

I went to see Man of Steel alone for its first showing. My biggest concern was that I'd have to go tinkle and lose my place in line. Luckily, that didn't happen.

ZynischeWirklichkeit said:
I love to go to the drive in movie theater alone. I sit in my car by myself and watch the movie. It is very therapeutic in my opinion.

We don't have those anymore. They've all been either demolished or abandoned. I last went to one in 1994 with my family. They had these super thick milkshakes and everything seemed new...aaahh, life was better back then. :p

Baka said:
I love to go to the drive in movie theater alone. I sit in my car by myself and watch the movie. It is very therapeutic in my opinion.

We don't have those anymore. They've all been either demolished or abandoned. I last went to one in 1994 with my family. They had these super thick milkshakes and everything seemed new...aaahh, life was better back then. :p

Around these parts drive ins are just a memory.
If I go to google maps I can still see the place the one near by was.
I applaud antone going to a movie solo I just feel too self conscious.:(

Can I sit in the back seat? I wont chew on my popcorn loudly or anything.

Latest posts

Back