What did I say?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Reaction score
I seem to say things, and some people take it wrong or seem to look at me strange or like I'm weird or something. It's not all the time, and not to a massive extent, but it happens. It's like I have a social disease sometimes. Been blessed with the ability to just say the wrong thing at the wrong time I guess. Sometimes I will say something to someone, just a harmeless thing, and they are just like (I think), "Eh?", cause that's how they sort of seem, and it's like they can't work me out or something. It's strange.
I do spend a lot of time on my own and am anxious and depressed so put it down to that, just cause of simply being in my own thoughts a lot of the time and maybe what I'm thinking isn't like everybody else so, well dunno. Maybe I'm just weird lol! tends to be women mainly as well. Anybody get this?

SimonT said:
I seem to say things, and some people take it wrong or seem to look at me strange or like I'm weird or something. It's not all the time, and not to a massive extent, but it happens. It's like I have a social disease sometimes. Been blessed with the ability to just say the wrong thing at the wrong time I guess. Sometimes I will say something to someone, just a harmeless thing, and they are just like (I think), "Eh?", cause that's how they sort of seem, and it's like they can't work me out or something. It's strange.
I do spend a lot of time on my own and am anxious and depressed so put it down to that, just cause of simply being in my own thoughts a lot of the time and maybe what I'm thinking isn't like everybody else so, well dunno. Maybe I'm just weird lol! tends to be women mainly as well. Anybody get this?

Quite often. If a woman says a joke to me, they usually say after 'Only joking' or 'I didn't mean it' - because I don't laugh at their joke. Sometimes I have to explain what I mean. People are not on my wavelength sometimes.

Maybe you are like me. My facial expression, body language, tone of voice, mannerisms make me look a bit odd. Although people do get used to me after awhile.

It may not be the reason in your case, I don't know. But sometimes what comes out of someone's mouth is a result of a thought process, and if that chain of thought isn't evident to another person, they wonder 'where the hell did THAT come from?.'

To you it makes perfect sense, but as not everyone thinks the same way, explanations may be a good idea.

As an example, I was subject to a huge misunderstanding because I expressed the opinion that a set of interviews might as well have been conducted on a beauty pageant. The other people thought I meant it was all about looks and youth. What in fact I meant was the 'I want world peace' element of pageants, where interviewees state what they think the panel wanted to hear.

I didn't explain, they didn't get what I was meaning because they had no frame of reference for my comments ..

Yeah and a lad said to me the other day, "Cheer up!" and I wasn't aware I was being gloomy in any way, or that what I said had any negative aspect in any way. It's like people just misinterpret me all the time or I come across as strange or something.

I find that some people have no problem saying things like, "Wow. You look really tired." I usually reply by saying, "Thank you for that."

I used to get comments about how I was supposedly intimidating, possibly because I'm on the tall side and I'm smart. But I never thought anyone would think I was intimidating since I have always been a good person. I have since realized that I have no control over how people see me. So, I try not to think about it.

It sounds to me like these things you say do not match your character, or type of person you are. Maybe in most cases it's just unexpected.

Unfortunately, that is one of my things. And generally, communication itself when I´m being myself, not being formal or trying to be "normal", is rather complicated. Misunderstanding, style of humor etc., all is gets rather complicated. Have met only a few people in my life who I was able to communicate with while being myself.

SimonT said:
Yeah and a lad said to me the other day, "Cheer up!" and I wasn't aware I was being gloomy in any way, or that what I said had any negative aspect in any way. It's like people just misinterpret me all the time or I come across as strange or something.

I got that all the time. I mean EVERYWHERE !
People looked at me like I was some sort of alien or something.
I was never miserable either, I don't know why they said it.

And then when I got a job serving customers it was difficult. People said things, gave me looks, called me names. I probably still get remarks but I ignore them or they don't register.

Triple Bogey said:
SimonT said:

And then when I got a job serving customers it was difficult. People said things, gave me looks, called me names. I probably still get remarks but I ignore them or they don't register.

Some people are just shits. End of.

jaguarundi said:
Triple Bogey said:
SimonT said:

Some people are just shits. End of.

I remember going to this pub, a works night out, walking there all dressed up looking forward to it. This person saw me and shouted 'bald knobhead' at me. Made me want to turn around and go home.

Yeah people Iike that knobhead that shouted that deserve a slap. Would love a bald Vinnie Jones-esq person have been somewhere near when he shouted that and thought he was referring to him.

Latest posts

Back