What mistakes did you make when you was younger ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
Regarding dating and relationships.

I was way too sensitive. For example if I asked a girl to dance and she wasn't interested, I would be upset for days.

Focussed too much on one girl. I always seemed to have a crush on one girl which led me to ignore others who may have been interested.

Continued to be interested in a girl when it was clear she didn't like me.

Expected girls to approach me because I thought I was good looking.

I wasn't talkative enough, I was too shy.

I'd say I always tried too hard with the few relationships I did have. I'd end up doing too much and putting people off unintentionally and ultimately I'd feel like I still needed to do more. Vicious cycle.

Triple Bogey said:
Focussed too much on one girl. I always seemed to have a crush on one girl which led me to ignore others who may have been interested.

I do the same thing with girls really...

My bad.

I'm not pushy about it when it's clear she doesn't like me. I accept it and am okay. I just don't do well with moving on.

Triple Bogey said:

I was way too sensitive. For example if I asked a girl to dance and she wasn't interested, I would be upset for days.

Triple B - not to undermine your posting, but does any of this matter in the here and now? And the things you list as mistakes, they are more personality traits, not 'mistakes' - I mean, too shy, too sensitive, not talktative enough...who says so? There is nothing wrong with being sensitive and quiet and shy - you are an introvert, it's not something to be shameful of. Anyway, my response to your question: I don't consider anything I've done in my life to be mistakes, more learning opportunities about both myself and other people & situations and a chance to grow. There ya go! :)

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

Triple B - not to undermine your posting, but does any of this matter in the here and now? And the things you list as mistakes, they are more personality traits, not 'mistakes' - I mean, too shy, too sensitive, not talktative enough...who says so? There is nothing wrong with being sensitive and quiet and shy - you are an introvert, it's not something to be shameful of. Anyway, my response to your question: I don't consider anything I've done in my life to be mistakes, more learning opportunities about both myself and other people & situations and a chance to grow. There ya go! :)

it only matters if you are making the same mistakes I guess.
Just thought I would start a thread.

Triple Bogey said:

pretty much all of this.

Thinking that at 16 I was adult enough, to be what I thought was In love.^.^

this forum is too short to write the mistakes I made when I was younger

I don't think I really made any. I made pretty good choices when I was younger. Adulthood is when I've done all my screwing up.

ringwood said:
And the things you list as mistakes, they are more personality traits, not 'mistakes' - I mean, too shy, too sensitive, not talktative enough...who says so? There is nothing wrong with being sensitive and quiet and shy - you are an introvert, it's not something to be shameful of.

Exactly what I was going to say. These aren't really mistakes. They're just personality traits. Remember nobody's perfect.

I was too trusting and not selective enough. If I liked them and they were friendly, we'd date if the feeling was mutual.

Popular opinion would have you believe I was blessed with dedicated, happy relationships for being so open-minded and low-maintenance. All I can say to that is that I was cheated on, manipulated, and spent a lot of time trying to comfort a troubled schizophrenic who sometimes wouldn't take his medication, and I did not come out of it a happier person.

These days I decide very quickly who I do or don't like and to what extent, and I don't second-guess my my impression of someone's honesty or possibility of taking their problems out on me. Call me all the names you wish for it. Intuitive snap judgments have served me well in whittling down the number of such people I accept into my life, and experience has shown I can tell when they're oriented towards me (friendly) or past me (seeking something). At least if it ends now it's mutual or my mistake, and not me just getting fed up and being too exhausted to take any more.

I guess I lived by the foolish adage of "love conquers all", and I didn't think too deeply or critically on my relationships and how little I actually needed them.

I didn't really understand people due to my Asperger's, and because of it, I have trouble making friends and have become kind of an awkward person. I even became a bully when I was younger because back then, nobody paid attention to me and I thought if I would be ignored by being friendly, I would be able to at least get attention by being mean. I didn't (and sort of still don't) have much of a backbone however, so it went as well as you'd probably expect. :p

Thankfully, I gave that up a LONG time ago. I've accepted who I am now, ignored or not. (Though with the odd hiccup here and there. Old habits I guess) I even joke a bit about it to lighten the mood.

SophiaGrace said:
Mr Seal The Albatros said:
If I'm going to be ignored by a lot of people,

:(

A lot. Not all. I still consider you a friend. *hugs* :)
I mean as in the people on my campus for instance. People just have a habit of avoiding me I guess. I'm sort of shy, boring, and often quiet, so that might be the reason.

Sorry. I tend to oversay things sometimes. I didn't mean it like that.

Tealeaf said:
spent a lot of time trying to comfort a troubled schizophrenic who sometimes wouldn't take his medication, and I did not come out of it a happier person.

You know, perhaps you don't want to hear this but you did a good and kind thing by this person. It's common for schizophrenics not to take their medication (they think the meds are contaminated or think they don't need the meds anymore).

Whether or not you were successful in helping this person be more balanced is besides the question. Thanks for caring about another human being.

Tealeaf said:
I didn't think too deeply or critically on my relationships and how little I actually needed them.

At least now you know. I wish you hadn't been forced to learn it this way though. Life is sometimes cruel and the messages that we receive through the media about love and the ideal life aren't accurate. Then we learn the harsh truth…by being burned.

I am hoping you are in a happier more stable place now. You seem a bit bitter, but, you're protecting yourself more.

SophiaGrace said:

I mean as in the people on my campus for instance. People just have a habit of avoiding me I guess. I'm sort of shy, boring, and often quiet, so that might be the reason.

Are you finding my attention towards you overwhelming, or do you feel vulnerable…something else? I sense I made you uncomfortable with my response for some reason.

(hug)

It seems a lot of us on ALL think we are uninteresting and boring. I myself feel quiet a lot and as if I am not an interesting person to get to know.

Whether this is the objective truth is another thing entirely I think.

SophiaGrace said:

Are you finding my attention towards you overwhelming, or do you feel vulnerable…something else? I sense I made you uncomfortable with my response for some reason.

(hug)

It seems a lot of us on ALL think we are uninteresting and boring. I myself feel quiet a lot and as if I am not an interesting person to get to know.

Whether this is the objective truth is another thing entirely I think.
[/quote]

Just a misunderstanding and started worrying a bit. I tend to think too much when I worry sometimes haha. :)
I see. Huh. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. I've felt like I'm uninteresting for years now, but I'm focussing on changing that.

Tealeaf said:
I was too trusting and not selective enough. If I liked them and they were friendly, we'd date if the feeling was mutual.

Popular opinion would have you believe I was blessed with dedicated, happy relationships for being so open-minded and low-maintenance. All I can say to that is that I was cheated on, manipulated, and spent a lot of time trying to comfort a troubled schizophrenic who sometimes wouldn't take his medication, and I did not come out of it a happier person.

I'm sorry you've been through all that. *hugs*

I made some grave mistakes when I was younger. One of my first relationships that I had was one that lasted for over 2 years and it ended really badly. To make a long story short. I messed it up. And not even once or twice.. I was 15/16 at the time and not ready to be in such a serious thing but that doesn't make up for the things I put her trough. I was a complete and utter scumbag then. Also not paying enough attention to school really made a hard impact on my life. I'm really struggling to get my life on track at the moment. I'm probably gonna spend the rest of my 20's trying to make up the mistakes I made.

The biggest ones are these:

Taking too many drugs.

LSD screwed my head up big time. It magnified all my insecurities. It intensified both the frequency and the intensity of my panic attacks. It turned me mildly paranoid. It also made me left-handed for a long time...

Letting bullies prevent me from getting a proper education.

I was once considered highly gifted, but I was also relentlessly attacked both physically and emotionally by the other kids. I let that turn me into someone I wasn't. I also dropped out of formal education at the age of 15 leaving me with very few formal qualifications.

Getting married.

I hate saying this was a mistake, but, in retrospect, it obviously was. I would advise everyone to find what they love about themselves prior to falling in love with anyone else. If not, it's liable to end in disaster.

Trying to fit in too hard as a teenager only to realize that there was nothing desirable to be found in "youth culture" for me.

Forcing myself into public only to learn that I'm more comfortable being alone and among very few people.

Being too forgiving of a person's emotional situation and continuing a relationship though she faked her own suicide just to inflict pain onto me.

All in all, not knowing my own limitations. And the life lessons never stop...

Latest posts

Back