Work woes...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alonelyshyboy

Reaction score
I don't think people like me in my office. I am the new guy and we all went to lunch today and basically no-one spoke to me. Only this other asian guy (from China) spoke to me. There is only one other person who is around the same age as myself, but she hasn't spoken to me yet, and I am too scared to approach her.

Interactions during work are all 'friendly', but that's just how it should be in an office.

Makes me feel like s**t to be honest.

Sucks to be the new boy. You have to keep at it man. Hopefully the days well seem not so long when ppl get used to you and you to them. We all been there. Some one well start talking to you at one point. Just keep at it.

Hello :)
It may be your co workers are not quite sure of you yet. It might help to start talking to them instead of waiting for them to talk to you :) I know it's hard to talk to new people. I find people pretty open when you start talking to them. They may be shy too :)

I've been at my job for 24 years and still don't fit in. When I started I was the young guy, then all the older guys retired and now I'm the old guy. They never invite me to do anything with them, I'm always left out. They forget about me sometimes, someone will buy breakfast and not get me anything. I'm used to it, that's just how my life has always been. I'm just a ghost.:(
I hope things get better for you. Nobody should have to feel this way.
I see others make friends all the time so don't give up.:)

GHOSTNYOURMIST said:
I've been at my job for 24 years and still don't fit in. When I started I was the young guy, then all the older guys retired and now I'm the old guy. They never invite me to do anything with them, I'm always left out. They forget about me sometimes, someone will buy breakfast and not get me anything. I'm used to it, that's just how my life has always been. I'm just a ghost.:(

Dang. You've had your job longer then I've been alive.

I never really had issues fitting in at work. I'm always cheerful, and to anyone who is being an idiot and being mean or anything I just don't help them and tell my manager. I'm a bagger at a grocery store go me :p

Just keep your job. The whole "New guy" thing will soon dissipate.

BlackCat said:
GHOSTNYOURMIST said:

Dang. You've had your job longer then I've been alive.

I never really had issues fitting in at work. I'm always cheerful, and to anyone who is being an idiot and being mean or anything I just don't help them and tell my manager. I'm a bagger at a grocery store go me :p

Just keep your job. The whole "New guy" thing will soon dissipate.

Ya! Rub it in, pick on the old guy.:p Hey I was a bagger at a grocery store to, in 1981.:( Gee, I am old. :(

GHOSTNYOURMIST said:
Ya! Rub it in, pick on the old guy.:p Hey I was a bagger at a grocery store to, in 1981.:( Gee, I am old. :(

Yes but there is a good thing to this. Your making me feel young :D I was only 6 then.

I've had that feeling when I've started new jobs. I had one job where it seemed like everyone was at least 10 years older than me and a lifer at the company. I never felt unwelcome, but I never felt trusted either. People didn't talk to me, and I knew I could've tried to talk more myself, but honestly, I didn't find any of my co-workers all that interesting. But it can suck to go to a place 40+ hours of the week and feel like you're a constant stranger.

Yeah I started feeling left out at my job when the others were down the other end chatting away, couldn't be helped though I had to stay down the other end to serve customers. Still made me feel left out, the thing that really makes me feel left out is that I don't know what to say when conversations arise. I might as well be a fly on the wall.
Hang in there dude, you haven't been there too long, and I think you're just too aware of being shy, it's like being frozen in one spot while life revolves around you, at least you've got a good job and I bet the pays great too.
So what are you working as?

Latest posts

Back