Your Creative Process

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theSmokingRabbit

Reaction score
To all the artists and creators out there I have a question.

What is necessary for you to have a chance at successfully expression and extension of your thoughts or feelings?

I'm asking for that integral part of your process that allows you to think and move freely.

Do you need to eat certain foods or listen to certain melodies? Certain time of the day or whenever? A specific mood or state of mind?

Mine is simple. I need the ability and freedom to start over. When I know I can safely get back to square one I usually take off in one direction or another recklessly. For the more physical artistic mediums it can be as simple as crushing up a canvas sheet or smashing clay. I find words the easiest as I simply delete or scrap the document.

Anyone else care to share?

It would definitely be the music I'm listening to that drives my feelings and flow of ideas with a project. Been this way for years. I believe the music has a connection to the work in one way or another, whether it be the mood and essence of various genres, or the theme in general.

I wouldn't call myself "Skilled," but my process is an emotional one.

If I were to just sit down and write or draw something without sadness, it would be very difficult for me.
It can sometimes help if depressing music is playing, but once I'm in my element, everything tends to flow.

It's hard to describe. For me, it doesn't have anything to do with food or music though. It's like this itch, that comes around every once in a while, but other than that, I wouldn't be able to describe it much better than this.
It's sort of a moment of clarity, which can be the result from gaining a new insight, or just enjoying a really simple thing, such as watching the rain, or seeing something that really makes me think.

Perhaps moments of awakening and or boredom. Or perhaps amidst the comedown of a an emotional climax. Or great pain or suffering. It does not seem my artistic musings ever gain enough momentum to be projected any great distance. Once the feeling is gone, so to is the will to project the art, whatever form it may have taken.

staying up for a few days or something simple as going for a journey somwhere new, if you cant afford the air fair go on google street view round the world Red bull do this one of banksys work:

http://streetartview.com/

just expose yourself to art galleries have a load of coffe and chocolate and get your juices flowing check out Tommy Mchugh on u tube he painted his whole house keep on meaing to go and call in on him

I agree that music is great for getting in the zone

I travel a lot, and I tend to get most of my inspiration from that. However I also read a lot of world news, and if you can't find something around the world that causes a spike in emotion then I don't know what will.

For instance, I came across a video of Al Quaeda lining up 9 members of the Afghan military and then gunning them down. It was an extremely graphic video, and I was pretty stunned by it. What got to me most was that none of these 9 soldiers cried out. None of them even looked afraid.

Those kinds of moments stick with me, whether they're out of movies, novels, moments from other countries or just inspiration in media. Put in a little effort and you can find some pretty amazing stuff. Nowadays I always feel like I've got to say something or write something when I come across these moments, and so I do.

The closest I come to "art" is making a bird feeder out of a chunk of tree trunk. I've never had artistic talent. I am a **** good writer, though. I get all kinds of ideas but these days don't often write about them. I lack motivation. My inspiration comes, though, a lot when I'm driving. I was on the road a lot last year and had all kinds of stuff in my head. This year being stuck at home, not so much.

tedgresham said:
The closest I come to "art" is making a bird feeder out of a chunk of tree trunk. I've never had artistic talent. I am a **** good writer, though. I get all kinds of ideas but these days don't often write about them. I lack motivation. My inspiration comes, though, a lot when I'm driving. I was on the road a lot last year and had all kinds of stuff in my head. This year being stuck at home, not so much.

Writing is definitely art, even if it isn't poetry, a novel or something grand like that. Simply the use of rhetoric in a newspaper article, or a diary that you feel holds your emotion can be seen as art. It is a creative use of language to convey the mind of an individual to another individual.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have a very narrow definition of art. In truth it has a place in all of our everyday lives, and everyone creates it. How did you organize the furniture in your house? How do you line-up the food on your plate at dinner time? All of these thoughts stem from your unconcious mind, and in a way they are physical incarnations of what your mind deems beautiful. We don't realize it when living day to day, but these are creative/artistic expressions that stem from our unconcious.

Foxo said:
tedgresham said:

Writing is definitely art, even if it isn't poetry, a novel or something grand like that. Simply the use of rhetoric in a newspaper article, or a diary that you feel holds your emotion can be seen as art. It is a creative use of language to convey the mind of an individual to another individual.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have a very narrow definition of art. In truth it has a place in all of our everyday lives, and everyone creates it. How did you organize the furniture in your house? How do you line-up the food on your plate at dinner time? All of these thoughts stem from your unconcious mind, and in a way they are physical incarnations of what your mind deems beautiful. We don't realize it when living day to day, but these are creative/artistic expressions that stem from our unconcious.

I agree. Very good post.

Latest posts

Back