No sense of direction, no motivation, no flair for life.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timzor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Holidays have just finished and back to school for the second day today. Its the last 10 weeks of high school I will have but I have no motivation to do any work or study. Sometimes I just feel like laying down and never waking up again, life can be a chore sometimes. Most of the people in my school are quite annoying and the few that I do talk to, rarely, the conversations are short and about unimportant things. It would be nice to just have a friend to confide in and who shares similar interests but over 5 years of high school I haven't really found a person I could really call "friend". My lack of social interactions also makes me few low at times, don't really know how to talk about people and act.... I know I should probably just do things instead of thinking of them but not long ago I started feeling a bit depressed, might be medical as I was having some stomach pain just now, not a stomach ache but waves of moderate pain. Might also be loneliness caused depression.

As it is nearing the end of the year I will also have to pick a course to study at uni but not really sure what I want to do for the rest of my life... There's not much time left before I have to pick something, any idea on how to find direction?

I have a chemistry test tomorrow with which the contents are vague as it was suppose to be based on note-taking on an excursion but I did not get some of the information or it wasn't given out. I don't really have anyone to check or get notes from and can't find any of the information on the internet.

Any tips on how to overcome depression and get some motivation to do some productive things?

Anyone here also have a good knowledge of industrial chemistry?

Thanks guys.

Hiya Timzor

Not an industrial chemist, sorry - can help you there, I'm afraid!

But I do recall what it was like when I was roughly your age. Got depressed myself, lost many good friends because of it - even ended up leaving this group I used to play guitar with, which was a shame, because they ended up playing Wembley Arena! Ah well...we make our decisions and live by them.

You say you lack motivation. Now, I suspect that this might have something to do with the fact that you do not yet know which direction to take your life in, as per your studies. So I have a suggestion. Dunno if it will be of any use to you or not, but here goes anyway: take at look at all the things you like doing. Take a look at your hobbies. Think about the books you like to read, your favourite films - hell, even as something small as your favourite cartoon on the funny pages. And then ask yourself if there is a commen thread linking all or most of these things. If you can find one - or even more than one, come to that - then maybe you might get an idea of what would be a worthwhile pursuit to study. I can't make any guarantees...might it might be worth thinking about.

Unfortunately, there's no supremely wise sage here who can offer some profound revelation as to what any of us should be doing to help our many and varied situations. But I'm sure it'll help to stick around these boards for a while, read some posts and exchange ideas. It seems to be working for me, anyway.

timzor said:
As it is nearing the end of the year I will also have to pick a course to study at uni but not really sure what I want to do for the rest of my life... There's not much time left before I have to pick something, any idea on how to find direction?

What country are you from? In the US at least, people rarely pick what they "want to do for the rest of their lives" at the end of high school or the beginning of college. Lots of people go in undeclared, and then they start by working on their general education classes and maybe take some electives to further explore their interests. And even after all that, lots of people don't end up in the career field that they studied in school anyway. Unless it's something really specialized (like science, or engineering), it doesn't matter all that much. It's only when you get to grad school that it really matters that what you're studying correlates to your career goals. Education and a degree *definitely* matters, but don't stress so much about the specifics! You'll figure it out! Good luck~!

timzor said:
Hi guys,

Holidays have just finished and back to school for the second day today. Its the last 10 weeks of high school I will have but I have no motivation to do any work or study. Sometimes I just feel like laying down and never waking up again, life can be a chore sometimes. Most of the people in my school are quite annoying and the few that I do talk to, rarely, the conversations are short and about unimportant things. It would be nice to just have a friend to confide in and who shares similar interests but over 5 years of high school I haven't really found a person I could really call "friend". My lack of social interactions also makes me few low at times, don't really know how to talk about people and act.... I know I should probably just do things instead of thinking of them but not long ago I started feeling a bit depressed, might be medical as I was having some stomach pain just now, not a stomach ache but waves of moderate pain. Might also be loneliness caused depression.

I have a chemistry test tomorrow with which the contents are vague as it was suppose to be based on note-taking on an excursion but I did not get some of the information or it wasn't given out. I don't really have anyone to check or get notes from and can't find any of the information on the internet.

Any tips on how to overcome depression and get some motivation to do some productive things?

Anyone here also have a good knowledge of industrial chemistry?

Thanks guys.

study chemistry

You know, I was the same as you... when I went to school, I lacked motivation, I did not really get why the hell I was going there, since I had no friends, at least not "real" ones.

However, my dad, he showed me that if I know what I want to reach or attain, I must work hard to reach that goal, despite the difficulties that might arise. Hehe, it may sound silly, but at that one time something "clicked" in my head, and I finally understood the reason I was studying! I've always wanted to become a pilot, and to be one, I had to get good grades at school, I had to get into a good university in order to pursue my dream!

What I'm saying here is, in order for you to be motivated you must find the reason why you are doing all of this. Find it, and you will get what I mean...

Cheers for replies guys, will probably try and find what I find interesting to pursue in my spare time!

I know this thread is over, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

I truly believe that everybody on this planet is destined to do great things. We all have, in our heart, a burning desire for something. But in order to get it, we have to (sorry for the repetition) work for it.

Imagine 80 or 90 years from now as you're lying on your deathbed. You're life flashes across your eyes, you can see yourself riding your first bike, you remember the birthdays when everybody was around to celebrate with you, and then near the end, you suddenly realize through your entire life, you have not done anything to achieve your untimate goal, your "purpose" if you will. You realize that time has ran out, and there is absolutly nothing you can do about it, and you pass away knowing that you have done nothing to conquer the maountain and attain your "calling".

I hope that wan't too deep or depressing, but that is what I think about when I feel less then motivated.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I certainly do not want to be in regret on my deathbed and when I think about that situation it makes me want to work towards something but right now I'm not sure what that thing is...

I used to have a pretty clear idea of what made me happy but over the years that has changed and I don't know what I'm really interested in now and basically going through the motions of life, life which is bearable but not sure why I'm alive. Just going through the routines to stay sane ;|

Like everyone else, I just want to be happy but I don't know what is the thing that makes me happy, just caught up in school life and routine, playing games to forget about things so I never really figure out what it is that makes me happy. Sometimes I question why I was even born, these times in life seem surreal and the question that rings in my head is "Why me?"

Like you said Yabai.Youth, perhaps that I am destined to do great things but perhaps I'm also destined to live in the shadows like so many others who just go by in life unnoticed. I think I'd like to leave something after I die, a notable legacy of sorts but have no clue as to what that might be. I'm quite sure I would be able to put in the work to achieve something I want but right now I don't know what I want, where to find it or even where to start to look for it, so many places to look and our time on this Earth is so short...

And again, it makes me sad to think about the possible future of lying on my deathbed regretting all the things I did or didn't do in life and makes me want to overcome that fear by doing something notable, productive, something that would make me feel happy when I look back at it and say "at least i tried"... Hmm...... Been considering asking a girl out for a while now............. maybe i'll start there, if i can overcome my social awkwardness...

Like everyone else, I just want to be happy but I don't know what is the thing that makes me happy, just caught up in school life and routine

I know it's easiar said then done, but your hardwork today will pay off once you have finally found your "calling". Don't give up because it will pay off later.

Like you said Yabai.Youth, perhaps that I am destined to do great things but perhaps I'm also destined to live in the shadows like so many others who just go by in life unnoticed.

You are destined to do great things, with all patronization aside (not that I was patronizing before) I really do think we are all able to rise up and impact this world; and it's only circumstance that inhibits us from doing so.

Been considering asking a girl out for a while now............. maybe i'll start there, if i can overcome my social awkwardness...

Thats a good start. Individuals are often influenced by others, and she may be the one who leads you to the career or goal in life. At least for me, spending time around others is a good way to cheer yourself up when the "Black Dog" starts gnawing at your knees.

You mentioned "Industrial Chemistry", is that a field you are interested in?

I have some advice that might help.

Box.
Seriously.

Boxing is the ultimate motivating sport. No teams, no one to rely on or blame. Its all you. And losing isnt just a bad score, its bruises and cuts.
Very good motivator if you ask me haha. Also, that motivation might carry over to the other aspects of your life.
just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Thanks Yabai.Youth

It was for a chemistry assignment, I find chemistry interesting but don't know if it is enough to warrant a career but considering it as a possibility. Just took a UMAT test to see if I might be eligible for medical but not sure if I want to pursue that...

As for boxing, I do partake in a martial arts class 2-3 times a week, the style its closest to would probably be kickboxing but its more of a MMA thing. But there's not much sparring atm, probably when I move up to the next belt there will be more of that... I do enjoy sparring/boxing as well, you're not thinking about anything else, just in the moment..

Thanks Yabai.Youth

It was for a chemistry assignment, I find chemistry interesting but don't know if it is enough to warrant a career but considering it as a possibility. Just took a UMAT test to see if I might be eligible for medical but not sure if I want to pursue that...

As for boxing, I do partake in a martial arts class 2-3 times a week, the style its closest to would probably be kickboxing but its more of a MMA thing. But there's not much sparring atm, probably when I move up to the next belt there will be more of that... I do enjoy sparring/boxing as well, you're not thinking about anything else, just in the moment..

Latest posts

Back