Mood swings - anyone else?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietGuy

Reaction score
I experience extremely rapid and dramatic mood swings, and I was just wondering whether anyone else here experiences the same thing?

It really is quite extraordinary. In the space of half an hour (or even less), I can go from extremely depressed to extremely happy, and vice versa. I feel like I'm on a colossal emotional rollercoaster.

If the mood swing is positive, it's usually because I've been forcing myself to think positively and optimistically about life. I convince myself that life is actually good overall, and that there are a lot of things to be happy about. When this works, I can reach a state of near euphoria, and walk around grinning like a maniacal cheshire cat.

If the mood swing is negative, it's usually because some random event has suddenly and painfully reminded me just how lonely I really am, and how deeply I want to be in a relationship with a special girl. This swing can happen extremely rapidly, and its effects can last for hours or even days.

Today, I unfortunately had a really massive negative swing. I was bouncing around quite cheerfully and happily, when I happened to briefly meet the prettiest and sweetest girl that has ever lived in the entire history of the human race. No exaggeration. How such a girl could possibly exist, I have no idea - she must have been touched by God himself. I literally melted instantaneously into a mushy gibbering puddle in front of her. With no warning at all, I was suddenly in the presence of an angel from heaven, and then just as quickly, she was gone.

(Life seems to have a habit of doing this to me - bringing me into contact with wonderful girls, and then making them inaccessible to me, either because they're already in a relationship, or they're completely uninterested in me, or they suddenly disappear completely from my life with no way for me to find them again, etc. I digress.)

Anyway, for some reason, that experience quickly brought sharp stabbing pains of loneliness, and within about 10 minutes, I had emotionally fallen from a mountain peak into a black chasm.

So I was just wondering if anyone else experiences such massive mood swings? Or are you permanently lonely / depressed? Or even... permanently happy?! :)

While I do have mood swings at times, it's generally always triggered by some external event, rather than just being "moody."
I don't really have any first-hand knowledge of mood swings not directly caused by some event or situation.

i am very similar. i've come to accept the fact that i will always be all of these things. i am trying to figure out how to deal with all my sides and stuff. good luck

QuietGuy said:
If the mood swing is positive, it's usually because I've been forcing myself to think positively and optimistically about life. I convince myself that life is actually good overall, and that there are a lot of things to be happy about.

This is pretty much how I've been feeling lately. What's going on with me, and which is probably similar to what's happening with you, is that I'm trying really hard to not be depressed. It sometimes works, but it sometimes doesn't. I can't get my happiness to be stable. So something small can trigger it to come crashing down. I'm starting to get really tired of trying so hard though...this sounds odd, but it almost feels easier to stay in a sad state than work so hard to be happy.

Yes, it is much easier to just stay in a sad state, and not make an effort to be happy. But I refuse to do this. There's some fighting spirit inside me which refuses to be crushed. No matter how many times my fragile happiness gets shattered, I will always slowly rebuild it. If I have to spend the rest of my life doing this, then so be it. I will never give up. I will never let sadness and loneliness be victorious over me.

(As you can probably tell, I'm sad and lonely tonight, but I'm **** well going to fight it.)

QuietGuy said:
Yes, it is much easier to just stay in a sad state, and not make an effort to be happy. But I refuse to do this. There's some fighting spirit inside me which refuses to be crushed. No matter how many times my fragile happiness gets shattered, I will always slowly rebuild it. If I have to spend the rest of my life doing this, then so be it. I will never give up. I will never let sadness and loneliness be victorious over me.

(As you can probably tell, I'm sad and lonely tonight, but I'm **** well going to fight it.)

(((((hugs))))))

i don't indulge my moods. they scare me. i'm sure they're in there somewhere.

I'm also fighting my own depression, so my moods can change from happy to sad. But usually only after a bad events triggers it like not having anyone to talk to for the whole day or someone being particularly harsh to me. Things like that can trigger a down spiral or negative thoughts where I blame myself for everything bad in my life.

I really wouldn't call it a mood swing though as it takes a while to reach that point. If I can find something positive before then, I can usually avoid it all together and being around positive people and having a good laugh can easily bring me back out of it.

Mostly, I just try to stay in the neutral zone where I'm not overly happy or overly sad. My life's pretty bad right now, but I'd rather not mope about it and I'd rather not smile like a idiot about it either. Just stay calm and work on making things better.

I did have real mood swings about a year ago when my calcium levels were through the roof. I never noticed them, but other people did. Too much calcium makes you loco :club:

i cud probably win award for moodswing girl. its all the time. fed up

Latest posts

Back