How to have a happy lonely life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter

Reaction score
How to enjoy loneliness?
How to have a great time without friends?

I would like to hear your thoughts on these questions.

^ Bingo.

AND, if you're lucky, your hobbies might lead you to meeting people.

Yes, hobbies and aim big. Find those things that you enjoy about different subjects, things that interest you and involve yourself in things.
We are only on this earth once... I came to the conclusion that it would be really interesting to travel and see what the world has to offer... That is essentially my goal in life.

I will most likely be single my entire life but having ambition to travel and see the world, actively searching for things that interest me and having things to look forward to help ease the loneliness.

Think about it like this too...

If you don't have any friends or a partner or anything, at least there can be practically no social hindrance whatsoever. What I mean by that is you can do what you want and when you want without anyone ever questioning it.

The world is your oyster.

Gym :) Being physically active helps. Hiking alone can be awesome, as you can hike at your real own pace. Did it several times. Take pictures :)

Gym could definitely b one of them! It helps as a stress reliever as well.

Hmmm ive actually been thinking about the idea of going hiking alone. I don't usually like to go places alone but we'll see... i really did enjoy it when i went with people before.

ShybutHi said:
If you don't have any friends or a partner or anything, at least there can be practically no social hindrance whatsoever. What I mean by that is you can do what you want and when you want without anyone ever questioning it.

The world is your oyster.

Indeed. Enjoy the simple things in life. Play your favourite music and don't worry about singing along (if you have the kind of non-voice that I do. lol). Light a candle - or thirty. Cook your favourite meal. Sleep alone in a big bed by yourself (that one is awesome :) ).
You get what I'm saying. Happiness comes in small doses. Embrace those moments.

Dexter said:
How to enjoy loneliness?

stop giving a ****?
stop considering loneliness as a huge problem?

Exercise helps me , swimming or walking in fresh air.
You could always try voluntary work.The charities would be grateful for your help.

Thanks for your answers.
Looks like most of you found the things that make you happy, nice to hear that :)

Dr. Strangelove said:
Hobbies... hobbies... and hobbies. Basically anything you can do that keeps you busy and you enjoy doing.

Yes, hobbies ... I just need to find the right ones I guess. I can't think of any hobbies right now that lead to ultimate happiness though.

pandas123 said:
Gym could definitely b one of them! It helps as a stress reliever as well.

Yeah, I started going to the gym at the beginning of this year. Now I am going twice a week and it is quite ok, but I don't really think that it makes me happy.
Indeed. Enjoy the simple things in life. Play your favourite music and don't worry about singing along (if you have the kind of non-voice that I do. lol). Light a candle - or thirty. Cook your favourite meal. Sleep alone in a big bed by yourself (that one is awesome :) ).
You get what I'm saying. Happiness comes in small doses. Embrace those moments.

I am definetely enjoying the small things in life, but I am not sure if that is enough to be happy at the end of the day?

But how?
To be honest, stop giving a **** sounds like giving up to me.
Drama, may I ask you if you did actually stop carrying about your problems?

Dexter said:
I am definetely enjoying the small things in life, but I am not sure if that is enough to be happy at the end of the day?

It can be, with a little practice. And sure, not every single day either.

See, the thing is, we as humans place hugely unfair expectations on happiness. For some reason we have it worked out to be the one big goal in life that we must achieve. Happiness was never meant to be that. Happiness is never a lasting, on-going thing. It's small, short moments - burst of energy, if you will; only there to revive us and by that to carry us through the next stretch of pain and hardship (or banality, mundanity......whatever yours is). Happiness makes us careless and ignorant to an extent. Unhappiness, in whatever form, is what keeps us on our toes.

Therefore, there is no such thing as a happy life. It's a life with intermittent bouts of happiness. If the remainder of it can be lived fairly contented, we have already received more than we could ask for.

daughter of the moon said:
See, the thing is, we as humans place hugely unfair expectations on happiness. For some reason we have it worked out to be the one big goal in life that we must achieve. Happiness was never meant to be that. Happiness is never a lasting, on-going thing. It's small, short moments - burst of energy, if you will; only there to revive us and by that to carry us through the next stretch of pain and hardship (or banality, mundanity......whatever yours is). Happiness makes us careless and ignorant to an extent. Unhappiness, in whatever form, is what keeps us on our toes.

Therefore, there is no such thing as a happy life. It's a life with intermittent bouts of happiness. If the remainder of it can be lived fairly contented, we have already received more than we could ask for.

Of course there's such a thing as a happy life, but when someone says that obviously they don't mean it to the extent of living every single day with a song in your heart and a beaming smile on your face. If anyone has that in mind is either high or 12 years old. What they mean is to be more happy than not; doesn't everyone want that?

People shouldn't take what others say so literally.

Learn to accept it and who you are IF that truly is who you are. I also second the notion of hobbies. If I didn't get so into the fictional stories/universes I love I don't know how I would be.

9006 said:
daughter of the moon said:

Of course there's such a thing as a happy life, but when someone says that obviously they don't mean it to the extent of living every single day with a song in your heart and a beaming smile on your face. If anyone has that in mind is either high or 12 years old. What they mean is to be more happy than not; doesn't everyone want that?

People shouldn't take what others say so literally.

Oh, you'd be surprised how many people expect just that of life though.

My 'Happiness is isolation' wishlist:
- lots of money for:
-- toys (all i ask for is a dual xeon workstation and a variety of juki industrial machines--that's all!)
-- fresh produce daily
-- decadent pastries HOURLY
-- a hundred acres of my own property to putter about on. Long walks enjoying nature without harassment or disturbance; hugging up to beautiful trees and reading all about a sunny day. (Things I cannot have in this urban shithole.) Some place to run and race and play and do cartwheels.

And this lamp! The toys, the foodstuffs, the lovely green acres, and this lamp, that's all I need.

Everyone has there own definition of happiness. I've seen a good varying degree of that in replies here. It's what will make you happy, not what makes anyone else happy. One thing that works for some may not work for others. I would say the same thing as Dr. Strangelove, hobbies, but that's because mine bring me some sort of joy.

Sci-Fi said:
Everyone has there own definition of happiness. I've seen a good varying degree of that in replies here. It's what will make you happy, not what makes anyone else happy. One thing that works for some may not work for others. I would say the same thing as Dr. Strangelove, hobbies, but that's because mine bring me some sort of joy.

Yes, seems like one just needs to find the right hobbies for oneself

Dexter said:
How to enjoy loneliness?

I would like to hear your thoughts on these questions.

Action. But I wouldn't call it 'happy' so much as a 'distracted' state of mind.

If you've ever seen movies where they have that action sequence where the hero (or heroine, depending) is pressed for time to solve a problem, and they need to deduce XYZ or defuse XYZ or thwart XYZ problem in X amount of time, you're aiming for that.

A continuous schedule of stuff to do or problems to solve.

Unfortunately I call this workaholic syndrome.

Latest posts

Back