This nail woman

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I go and see my Mam every Monday night. Once a month there is this woman there doing her nails. (cutting them not decorating). She is about 30, good looking.

Now I don't expect her to be too friendly with me. I am just sat down watching the tv while she see's to my Mam's nails. But honestly she does everything she can to avoid even looking at me. It's like she is pretending I am not there. The first time my Mam introduced us and she said 'Hi' but after that nothing. It's odd and she is very rude.

My Mam is fussy about me so she talked, telling this woman what I do and her replies were either silence or 'um' or she changed the subject. It happened time and time again.

I've seen her about 4 times now. Her attitude hasn't changed one bit. Yesterday I tried speaking to her. I was stood a few feet away asking her something and she just ignored me. She was looking at the ground. She does that all the time, twists her head in unnatural positions so she doesn't have to look at me.

I don't like her. She reminds me of how all women used to treat me 20 years ago. Up to the age of 25 women were like that all the time !

Her attitude may not be related to you personally. Maybe she is shy with men? Could you have a word with your mum about it on one of the Monday nights when this lady is not there? Or could you visit your mum on a different night the week that the lady comes?

Tiina63 said:
Her attitude may not be related to you personally. Maybe she is shy with men? Could you have a word with your mum about it on one of the Monday nights when this lady is not there? Or could you visit your mum on a different night the week that the lady comes?

She doesn't seem the shy type, she looks a confident person.
It's not too much of an issue to change my day to visit my Mam but it is a bit annoying.

I heard this woman complain yesterday that she is single because she never 'meets anybody new'

The first time she was there my Mam was talking about me, telling this woman all about me. Her attitude was 'I couldn't care less' - she walked in and my Mam introduced me, I smiled and said 'hi', she said 'hi' back but it like in those few seconds she had decided I wasn't worth talking to. Which is rude and based on nothing on what ?

Is she rude to everyone else or just you?
I would confront her about it. Ask her flat out what her problem is with you and why she's so rude to you.

Also, I do want to add that you shouldn't decide for yourself why she doesn't talk to you. It could be any number of reasons and unless they come from her, you can't know her reasons. Ask her or your Mam what's going on.

TheRealCallie said:
Is she rude to everyone else or just you?
I would confront her about it. Ask her flat out what her problem is with you and why she's so rude to you.

Also, I do want to add that you shouldn't decide for yourself why she doesn't talk to you. It could be any number of reasons and unless they come from her, you can't know her reasons. Ask her or your Mam what's going on.

She's very friendly with my Mam but I guess she has to be. My Mam is paying her to cut her finger nails. My Mam's boyfriend gets his nails done as well. She doesn't talk to him much but he's really quiet anyway.

Like I said I don't expect a great deal from her. Simple manners will do. She avoids looking at me, that is certain.

Just my opinion, but you may be taking this one a little to personally when it may have very little to do with you at all. There are a lot of thing that it could be, that nothing you do or say will change. Some people are awkward in social situations, some people don't like their job and aren't incredibly social when they're at work. Not to mention the fact that she's in a position where it's really in her best interest to keep her attention focused on the person sitting in the chair, because they're the one's paying (and potentially tipping.) If there's something in you that wants to get to know this person, try setting an appointment to get your nails done and see if her attitude changes when you're in the chair, then go from there. If it's just something where it seems kinda rude, I'd probably just brush it off, hang out and wait for your mam (sorry, I'm assuming it's mom, and you're from somewhere other then the states :p) and then go on about your day. Would it be worth the possibility of making things even more awkward during the visit?

Like I said though, just my opinion...I usually go out of my way to try to avoid confrontation though, so there's that :p

Either way...good luck

*bows*

Triple Bogey said:
She is about 30, good looking.
Now I don't expect her to be too friendly with me.

Are you sure about that?

Triple Bogey said:
It's odd and she is very rude.
I've seen her about 4 times now. Her attitude hasn't changed one bit.
She does that all the time, twists her head in unnatural positions so she doesn't have to look at me.
...she just ignored me.
I don't like her.
She reminds me of how all women used to treat me 20 years ago. Up to the age of 25 women were like that all the time !

Is it all possible that she might be picking up on the fact that you don't like her? People can sometimes pick up on that.

EveWasFramed said:
Triple Bogey said:

Are you sure about that?

Triple Bogey said:
She does that all the time, twists her head in unnatural positions so she doesn't have to look at me.
...she just ignored me.
I don't like her.
She reminds me of how all women used to treat me 20 years ago. Up to the age of 25 women were like that all the time !

Is it all possible that she might be picking up on the fact that you don't like her? People can sometimes pick up on that.

Possibly but when I first saw her I smiled and said 'Hi' - I was polite. I didn't expect her to bombard me with attention or questions though. There is no chance I can be friendly with her because she pretends I am not there. She avoids looking at me even when she is not busy doing anything. My Mam tells her things about me and she either shows no interest or changes the subject. For example in the summer My Mam said 'look our tanned he is' - she just replied 'umm'

Last Monday I did talk to her a bit. She talked back and asked me a question. She even looked at me directly which was the first time.

This isn't important but reminds me how all women treated me when I was younger. Like I am invisible.

Triple Bogey said:
EveWasFramed said:
Triple Bogey said:

Are you sure about that?

Triple Bogey said:
...she just ignored me.
I don't like her.

Possibly but when I first saw her I smiled and said 'Hi' - I was polite. I didn't expect her to bombard me with attention or questions though. There is no chance I can be friendly with her because she pretends I am not there. She avoids looking at me even when she is not busy doing anything. My Mam tells her things about me and she either shows no interest or changes the subject. For example in the summer My Mam said 'look our tanned he is' - she just replied 'umm'

Last Monday I did talk to her a bit. She talked back and asked me a question. She even looked at me directly which was the first time.

This isn't important but reminds me how all women treated me when I was younger. Like I am invisible.

OMG I just had a thought. Do you think that she might think your mom is trying to set her up with you and it makes her uncomfortable?!

EveWasFramed said:
OMG I just had a thought. Do you think that she might think your mom is trying to set her up with you and it makes her uncomfortable?!

This! ^ Exactly this. I bet you anything she thinks your mum is trying to play matchmaker and it's making her uncomfortable and that's why she keeps trying to change the subject. And TripleB, that is NOT a reflection on you if that's the case (as in 'I'm so horrible, who could ever want me?' because I know that is what you will immediately think) but merely the fact that she is a professional there to do a job, and most people would be uncomfortable in the same situation.

EveWasFramed said:
Triple Bogey said:
EveWasFramed said:
Triple Bogey said:

Are you sure about that?

Triple Bogey said:
...she just ignored me.
I don't like her.

You may be right. Even though I am sure my Mam isn't. She is very proud of me and is always talking about me to anyone who listens.

But yes didn't think about it like that. She is obviously uncomfortable about something.

ringwood said:
EveWasFramed said:

This! ^ Exactly this. I bet you anything she thinks your mum is trying to play matchmaker and it's making her uncomfortable and that's why she keeps trying to change the subject. And TripleB, that is NOT a reflection on you if that's the case (as in 'I'm so horrible, who could ever want me?' because I know that is what you will immediately think) but merely the fact that she is a professional there to do a job, and most people would be uncomfortable in the same situation.

You could be right. Maybe my Mam had spoken about me and told her I was single and looking for a girlfriend ?

She might become more friendly. She did acknowledge my existence on Monday night which is more than normal.

beautiful loser said:
Bogey, all you need to do is this...she'll be putty in your hands ;)

[video=youtube]

Haha...Awesome fella he is, but Bogey, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, listen to Beautiful Loser's advice in this situation. The very thought of the 'Hey, how you doing?' line makes me cringe and want to do this to the man saying it: :club:

:p:D

Triple Bogey said:
My Mam tells her things about me and she either shows no interest or changes the subject. . .

Sounds like to me that your mam needs to stop telling her things about you. She may be rude and may be avoiding you, but she doesn't need to be told about someone she doesn't want to hear about.

Or maybe she does like you and is more shy than you're thinking. Who knows... I'd ask if I offended her or something.

I wouldn't ask her that or confront her in any way. You're just a relative of one of her clients, she doesn't owe you an explanation. Had you actually been on friendly terms prior to this it would be different, but you've not even spoken. Just ignore this rude person.

ringwood said:
beautiful loser said:
Bogey, all you need to do is this...she'll be putty in your hands ;)

[video=youtube]

Haha...Awesome fella he is, but Bogey, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, listen to Beautiful Loser's advice in this situation. The very thought of the 'Hey, how you doing?' line makes me cringe and want to do this to the man saying it: :club:

:p:D

Lol - No I would never do that. I'm not that bothered, I hope I don't meet her again. She just reminded me of how women were with me when I was younger.

Triple Bogey said:

Looks can be deceiving. She might be an incredibly shy person but is friendly with your Mum because it's her job and easier do be because of that fact.

Triple Bogey said:
I heard this woman complain yesterday that she is single because she never 'meets anybody new'

Maybe because she is so shy?

Why don't you offer her a cup of tea next time she is round and keep doing it whenever she comes? If you don't know her and haven't done anything to her to cause her to be rude to you then I would hazard a guess that it is just shyness.

Of course, I could be wrong. She could just be a total cow. I wouldn't take it personally either way though.

Minty said:
Triple Bogey said:

Looks can be deceiving. She might be an incredibly shy person but is friendly with your Mum because it's her job and easier do be because of that fact.

Triple Bogey said:

Maybe because she is so shy?

Why don't you offer her a cup of tea next time she is round and keep doing it whenever she comes? If you don't know her and haven't done anything to her to cause her to be rude to you then I would hazard a guess that it is just shyness.

Of course, I could be wrong. She could just be a total cow. I wouldn't take it personally either way though.

She's probably a cow. Hopefully I won't see her again.

Think about it from her point of view. Her client talks about her son a lot, how wonderful and single he is. And sometimes he is there when he doesn't live there, and when she has booked an appointment to do her nails.

A safe strategy might be to rescue her subtly when your mum starts going on about you. Be the one to change the subject, even by offering drinks. This will also make it seem like you want the subject changed, and she is safe.

Latest posts

Back