Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nonfiction Book Discussion
Sigh.

Does anyone read sociological books, articles, anything? Does anyone know anything about economic injustice? Does anyone care?

I'm just getting a bit frustrated how hard it is to find people that understand and care about what is going on in current society.
You sound a little... exasperated! =P

I used to be into all of that when I was in college but not anymore. It doesn't do anything for me. Yeah it's all fucked and depressing but reading about it doesn't really do much. There isn't much I can do to fix it. Not now anyways.

I used to be really into learning and reading about philosophy but once again, it didn't get me anywhere. It was just something to pass the time for me. The more I got into it and the more time I spent thinking about things, the more depressed I got.

Nowadays the only time I'm learning about those subjects is when I listen to certain podcasts.

I can't be bothered with reading about those topics any more. I'm much more interested in self improvement and learning skills. I'll figure out the world's problems when I have my own life sorted.
Plenty of people most definitely understand and care about social issues on this forum, from what I've seen.

Maybe start a thread devoted specifically to that?
And blood-black nothingness began to spin
A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.
I know a lot of people are interested and care, but the issues are not being able to do anything about it as well as the fact that no matter what there will always be people who feel they are more equal than others.

For me it's all about trying to learn from the mistakes in the past and understand why they happened so they won't be repeated.

Don't get discouraged, don't be afraid, we can make it through another day. Make it worth the price we pay - Triumph "Fight the Good Fight"
(03-02-2015, 10:12 AM)exasperated Wrote: Does anyone read sociological books, articles, anything? Does anyone know anything about economic injustice? Does anyone care?

^ I do, a lot; but I share kamya's sentiments.

I do what I can do.
Yes, this thread has been exasperating. I'm sorry I even tried.
(03-03-2015, 04:25 PM)exasperated Wrote: Yes, this thread has been exasperating. I'm sorry I even tried.

What is wrong with the way this thread has gone? =/ Your original post never specified that you wanted it to center around injustice or current events. Why don't you make a thread about that if that's what you want to discuss?
(02-28-2015, 09:09 PM)lifestream Wrote: I'm reading Ayn Rand and the World She Made by Anne C. Heller. I'm not an objectivist or anything but I find Ayn Rand fascinating. At first it was because I'd never really heard of a female philosopher but the more I found out about her the more I wanted to know.

Thanks for this tip. I've not read anything that she's written but will keep an eye out for something with her name on it.

....This is a nice tread people, please keep posting
Try Anthem, Greenish. The rest of her books could double as doorstoppers but that one is nice and slim. Smile

exasperated, I'm quite perturbed by your last few responses. You start a thread about what non-fiction books other people are reading, then become despondent(?) when nobody's reading the same books that you're interested in?
And blood-black nothingness began to spin
A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Book(s) are you Reading? Spare 541 89,947 10-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: LostintheBardo
  Grab the book closest to you, turn to page 44 what does line 4 say? Incognita 138 41,683 09-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Blue Bob
  What is the last book you bought? Drama 48 14,193 07-24-2017, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Lonelybear
  Book Suggestions Nuke1967 5 2,189 10-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Broken_Doll
  Favorite Quote from Favorite Book sk66rc 10 4,368 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Juliet
  What was the last book you read? annik 209 34,910 06-01-2014, 02:57 AM
Last Post: WildernessWildChild
  ALL Book Club: January 2013 flaneur 5 2,792 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Badjedidude
  ALL Book Club: April '12 flaneur 21 5,767 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM