Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painfully insecure to the point of avoiding people and places
(11-29-2016, 06:11 AM)Zevon Wrote: That can be very difficult, my wife suffered from anorexia so I have some experience. I do not think you are superficial or vain at all. May I ask, did you decide how you perceive your body image or did someone else?

Not meaning to pry, just trying to work myself out.

Not at all. This is what this site is about. To talk about and air issues. 

But to answer your question. Its just from very deep seated issues that must go back years. I don't even understand how it got this bad. But having severe acne in teens through 20s which did serious damage and plays big role into lonliness and isolation. But that is part of it. Also if someone confuses me or tell me  that I look like somone else that seems to annoy me and upset me greatly.
I can see that being confused for someone else could affect your self esteem as you are not being seen for yourself. I do not know "How it got this bad" as you put it, but for me it is due to not addressing things sooner.
Pick the stars out one by one,
and place them in a drawer.
Leave them there for a thousand years,
and forget what they were for.
Right. That is true
I recently started doing EMDR (at my partners request) to try and make sense about my feelings of worthlessness, however my partner has decided it is time to split, which has compounded the feelings. As such I am having a break from it. Not trying to sell it, just saying that some therapy can help.
What is emdr exactly?
Stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. Sounds really weird but it involves you moving your eyes from left to right looking at a light (or holding small pads that buzz alternately in your hands). You do this whilst re-living a traumatic experience (for me it was childhood put downs) and it helps you overwrite these, so that when faced with any situation, you do not respond as if to the original experience. I think that is a fair explanation. Seemed to be working until my legs were cut from under me.
Hmm.. sounds like something i can benefit from
For me it was interesting just to find out how much I respond to, or judge my life by early experiences.
Actually it seems like something that might really pertain to me
It has mixed reviews online, but may be worth looking into. I have no agenda here, but I hope to continue in time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avoiding people - because of what they said Restless soul 120 3,407 04-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Restless soul
  "Stop caring what other people think" rant MentatsGhoul 9 1,675 07-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Volt
  Does it turn people off when you are slow to reply msbxa 27 2,972 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  When people think I don't speak loudly enough. GrannySmith111 15 5,087 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Volmornu
  I hate it when people are so tight and serious! MisterD 5 4,751 01-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Reverie
  need your perspective people bonin151 6 1,634 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Senamian
  Comparing yourself to other people theglasscell 29 3,961 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Last Post: amoraniva
  fear of people Mr Hermit 17 3,859 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Last Post: MTrip
  I need to stand up to people African_weasel 27 3,102 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Last Post: African_weasel
  I feel like people hate me here LeaningIntoTheMuse 53 7,399 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83