Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do people become less interested in making friends with age?
My efforts to improve myself are to embrace my solo activities.
'When the pack rejects their weakest member, he learns to adapt and to find his own way.  He is the lone wolf.'
Yea maybe it's my age but can't be arsed now quite happy with who I've got .I am a bit annoyed with myself that I waisted time bemoaning my lack of friends.Often wonder though if I had been single if I would have made more effort.
Thinking about it though this website has really helped in getting where I am today.The little interactions and conversations I've had and the excellent information on dealing with lonliness have helped me except who I am compared to when I started a year ago.I think when I finally cut the cord and don't lean on it so much when feeling down it will be interesting how I cope...but stuff seems to replace stuff in my life so far so looking forward to the next chapter.
Never ,never ,never give up

Winston Churchill 
People would rather spend energy maintaining the friendships they have.

As for why lonely introverts aren't reaching out - well I find a lot of people who might describe themselves as such are oversensitve, are dealing with their own issues or have an obvious superiority complex where I'd rather keep my distance. The thing with building a frienship with unstable people is the smallest thing and it's over, so it's just not worth the effort. More 'average' people are usually easier to get along with, but as said they already have established social circles.
(05-30-2017, 01:55 PM)Tealeaf Wrote: Where are all the lonely introverts who just want a nice cup of coffee and some chat?

On the rare occasion I'm actually out and about, I hang out at the library, or in indie bookstores or coffee shops. Somewhere that you wouldn't think to find a crowd of people. I tend to avoid night clubs, bars, malls, and most "main street" areas if I can.

I'm more inclined to make new friends, and more excited about making new friends, than I am of the notion to try to keep up with whatever my friends are doing because chances are typically pretty likely that I won't be able to afford it. Though, I'm also blessed with the ability of being pretty easily entertained, which keeps me simply satisfied with little to no cost. That's sort of how I'm able to get by having grown up in a welfare family. Likewise, I'm really not all that spontaneous...or if I am, it's within a budgeted limit. I can work out budgets to hang out with my friends if need be, but they have to be something I can tie down.
Hello all!
On the question of the initial post, I would tend to say yes. I'm getting older - I'm an old 52 year old geezer - and, I feel such is the case. But, the question is why?
I think that in my early teens, if I wasn't friends with certain people - my life was over. I was not living for others.
The more I aged, the more I became a "guest" of my own life - I observed.
Then, I got to a point where I didn't really care much for others' drama. Today, I feel that I live for myself. I understand that no matter what happens from, greeting a new neighbor to...lol...alien invasions, I can only live life thru my own perception. If a close relative or favorite actor dies...I still breathe - my life goes on...until...it doesn't.
It's a little sad (but there's also a little gust of hope in there too) but, I suppose it's only reality.
Because of tv, net, all medias, we have come to make ourselves believe that some people are just super-people. But, all this hype is only dressing. We are all the same in the inside. A lot of people in here would'be suprised that some of the people they idolize are...in worse shape than them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I blend in with friends who drink when I don't :( UpsideE23 9 366 01-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Last Post: quangdan234
  The workplace as a good place to make friends? Tealeaf 12 971 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Last Post: ringwood
  Can't seem to be able to get friends of my gender Obunga 8 438 01-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Last Post: ringwood
  I don't have any platonic friends Unalome 7 720 12-21-2018, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Phantimos
  I can't make friends at work and it makes my days super hard lovableplatypus 11 2,179 12-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: lostinmusic
  Why are most British people so socially cold? matt4 79 20,360 11-29-2018, 03:09 AM
Last Post: RedNemesis
  Recently alienated when I tried to make friends via meetup.com hewhowalksalone 19 977 11-19-2018, 01:49 AM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Tired of my 'friends' Dear-_-Tragedy 13 4,223 10-09-2018, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Miriam1966
  Friends and why i always seems to get alone.. owmygod 11 4,234 08-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: harper
  People who have tons of friends cause of their looks make me sick lonelyloser 50 17,445 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Azariah