Let's share recipes!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
I've always found cooking is a really good way to alleviate the problems of boredom, sometimes sadness, and of course hunger. My big thing to cook has always been breakfasts...but lately I've been learning dinner and lunch ideas.

So lets have a thread where we share recipes! Post ingredients (measured or approximate), prep instructions and maybe something that goes good with it. I'll start.

Last night I made up some pasta. Tonight when I reheated it, the sauce was about ten times better. This recipe uses pre-made sauce as a base. I've made sauce from scratch before, but this is much simpler and quicker for when you're pretty busy or tired. It's a meatless sauce, but you could add some sausage if you like.

Brian's Pepper Pasta Sauce
Approx. 1/2 can Hunt's Zesty and Spicy Pasta Sauce (or simmilar, enough to fill a sauce pan)
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1-3 cloves of garlic
Some Mushrooms
1 Tomato (optional)

Slice your bell pepper lengthwise, so you're cutting rings. Cut each ring into thirds or quarters. I suggest quarters. Add them to the sauce, and heat up the sauce on medium heat until it starts to pop up bubbles. Stir semi-frequently to keep it from burning. While the sauce and peppers are heating, dice up your garlic cloves in to chunks that will remain bite-size yet still let a lot of flavor out in to the sauce. Add this once it's diced and reduce the heat to low-medium. You'll want to have your water for your pasta boiling at this point.

Let the sauce sit for at least five or ten minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning and to mix flavor. It will be best after sitting overnight...but you're hungry NOW. Put your pasta on...follow cooking directions on the box or bag. Slice your mushrooms (I recommend peeling the top layer of mushroom skin off and removing the stems) and slice off a few slices of tomato. Cut these in half.

When the pasta is done, add your mushrooms to the sauce and stir. Let cook for another three to five minutes on low-medium heat. Top your pasta with the sauce, sprinkle on some parmesan or romano cheese, and then if you like tomatoes, place your tomato slices on top of that for some nice, fresh flavor and aesthetic appearance.

Goes good with:
Milk
Cabernet Sauvignon

I don't do exact measurements... I'm more of an eyeballing kind of cook.... But I made this tonight, and it was awesome.

In a big pot with a lid, place some chicken breasts, and fill it with water about half way. Place the lid on and let it cook and simmer on medium low all throughout the day. When the chicken is nice and tender, take your ladle and place all the liquid in a small mixing bowl.

Now that the chicken is cooked, and you have the chicken broth in a bowl, whisk flour slowly into the broth to make a gravy consistency. Add flour slowly... Add too much and it can become lumpy. Floury gravy isn't good. =/

Season to taste, and once you're done with that, pour all that gravy goodness back over the chicken. I had added a can of carrots, but any vegetables you'd like, fresh or canned can go. Depends what you want.

I also made mashed potatoes. Peel and cut up potatoes, and cook until soft. Strain the water from them, and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add some butter, seasonings of your liking, and I use Carnation condensed milk. Take your hand mixer, and mix it up. I left mine a bit lumpy tonight, but you can blend it to whatever you fancy.

Quick, good dinner.

Then I mixed up some banana cream pudding real quick. Mixing bowl, whisk, pudding mix, and 2 cups of milk, or whatever the box instructions are. I also added some Carnation condensed milk. Whisk it up, place it in the refrigerator until it's firm, take it out, mix it up a bit, and you have smooth and creamy banana cream pudding. :)

Brian said:
I've always found cooking is a really good way to alleviate the problems of boredom, sometimes sadness, and of course hunger. My big thing to cook has always been breakfasts...but lately I've been learning dinner and lunch ideas.

So lets have a thread where we share recipes! Post ingredients (measured or approximate), prep instructions and maybe something that goes good with it. I'll start.

Do recipes for disaster count? lol, j/k

Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

16 oz corkscrew noodles
1 stick margarine
1 can cheddar cheese soup
2 eggs
1 12oz can evap. Milk
1 ½ cans whole milk (18oz) (use the evap. milk can)
8 oz sharp, 8 oz mild shredded cheese (save 1/2 cup each for topping)
Salt & white pepper

Boil the noodles as you normally would, except don't cook them completely done. They need to be firm. (A little more firm than al dente.) Once the noodles are cooked and drained, you basically just add the rest of the stuff in with the noodles and heat it until everything melts. :D Don't over do the salt and pepper. Once that's done, just dump the entire concoction into a crock pot, top with remaining cheese, and cook it on low for two to three hours. A good way to tell if it's ready, is if the cheese on the top is melted. The sides and bottom will brown a bit, so don't worry that it's burned. :p

OK and now for an easy desert....

Easiest Ever Fruit Cobbler (You can use any fruit, but peaches seem to work best)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches with juice
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish. (I prefer glass baking dishes)
2. Stir together peaches and juice with melted butter. Pour into prepared pan. In a small bowl mix flour, sugar and salt. Stir in milk. Pour mixture over peaches. (Do NOT stir the mixture once you pour it into the pan!)
3. Bake on bottom rack of preheated oven 15 minutes, or until lightly browned, then move to top rack for 20 minutes more. Serve warm.

OK, While these two aren't exactly dinner at the Ritz, they are the two that get requested the most. Well, these two and my home-made soups, but since I never make soup the same way twice, I wouldn't dare try to actually type a recipe. :p

Simple and fast,,,, and very tasty :D

2 pacers of toast
1 packet of supper noodles. Preferbly chicken but can be any flavor. (chicken my favorite)
2 slicers of cheese.

butter toast, Put cheese on toast then put supper noodles on everything. Then make a pig of yourself :D

If all that fails and it taste minging call this 554594567564156 My local chines number lol

number of chines is fake and just was a random number I typed in :p

Cinnamon sugar toast. (Bluey's post made me want toast. xD)

Toast up some bread, spread some butter on the toast, sprinkle some cinnamon and sprinkle some sugar. Yummers in my tummers. Good snack to munch on during the day.

VanillaCreme said:
Cinnamon sugar toast. (Bluey's post made me want toast. xD)

Toast up some bread, spread some butter on the toast, sprinkle some cinnamon and sprinkle some sugar. Yummers in my tummers. Good snack to munch on during the day.

Heeeyyy.... I do this too! But instead of sugar I use honey...
Butter, honey and cinnamon on toast... mmmmm... yum! :D

"I've always found cooking is a really good way to alleviate the problems of boredom, sometimes sadness, and of course hunger."

My feelings also, plus I just really love to do it. Favs are soups, casseroles, anything creamy or with gravy, and any type of meat.

Sadly, I have diet restrictions due to health, age, and lack of tolerance for some foods. But, on the bright side, it made me get more creative and branch out of my food comfort zones. So I have become a collector of recipes. (Many hours on the net searching and saving, buying books, trying out recipes, and even throwing some food away. Ugh!)

Sorry for the ramble. This is one of my favorite recipes. Be sure to use the Granny Smith apples, or other tart apple, to get the taste intended for the recipe. Savory Squash and tart fruit. Mmm Yummy!

You can substitute another kind of squash- I even tried sweet potatoes, and liked it.
You can skip the roasting (it does add a lot of flavor though) and just boil the veggies until soft.
You can also leave it in small chunks instead of processing it.
This recipe freezes very well.
I eat this with just a piece of fresh baked crusty French bread.

Finally, the recipe. Lol

Roasted Winter Squash and Apple Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients
1 large Butternut Winter Squash (about 2.5lbs) peeled, seeded, and cut into 2in pieces
2 medium onions peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic peeled
2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and quartered
2 tblsp Olive Oil
5 cups vegetable stock, or chicken stock, or water can be used
Chili Powder and salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Put all the vegetables on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with the olive oil. Stir so all vegetables are coated. Roast vegetables for 40 mins, stirring every 10 mins. They should be fork tender and golden.

Using only four cups of the stock, process the vegetables and stock together until smooth. Move to a saucepan and simmer over medium to low heat while adding the remaining cup of stock slowly until the desired consistency is reached. Season with the salt and Chili Powder. Enjoy!

Bluey said:
Put cheese on toast then put supper noodles on everything.

Huh, i never thought of noodle on bread. Sounds interesting.

Ecstatic that this thread was made!:D Love to cook, bake, throw different ingredients together. It's one of my hobbies:)

A variation of the Mr.Noodles/Ramen Noodles Salad:

Ingredients:

Salad
2 packages of Mr.Noodles/Ramen Noodles
1 Head of green cabbage
2 Green onions
3 cloves of garlic
Sesame seeds (Add as little/much as desired)
Slivered almonds (^)
Pine Nuts (^)

Dressing
Balsamic vinegar
2 packets of Mr.Noodles/Ramen seasoning (From the 2 packages)

Directions:
1. Set oven to 350 degrees celsius.
2. Pick your flavour. I use beef or chicken. Break the Mr.Noodles/Ramen noodles, uncooked, into pcs. Break into desired size. I break them up small ('bout 1/2-1 cm.), but not too tiny.
3. Wash and julienne the cabbage. Can be boiled if desired. If you want to boil it, cut it into large pcs. and julienne it after. Let cool. I don't boil it.
4. Wash and chop green onions. Pcs. should be chopped to 1/2 cm. or less. Up to you. I find the smaller the better.
5. Mince cloves of garlic.
6. Place all the seeds on a cookie sheet or large baking tin. Spread out. Put in and toast. Duration depends on how toasty you want them. I usually leave them in for 3 mins. Make sure you don't burn them.
7. Add 2 packets of seasoning to balsamic vinegar and mix. Amt. of dressing up to you.
8. Blend all the ingredients together in a large salad bowl.

Minus said:
Bluey said:
Put cheese on toast then put supper noodles on everything.

Huh, i never thought of noodle on bread. Sounds interesting.

Dip your fries in your milkshake at mcdonalds. Now that's interesting and for some reason very tasty :D lol

Bluey said:
Dip your fries in your milkshake at mcdonalds. Now that's interesting and for some reason very tasty :D lol

I do that too! It's sooo good. My brother and all his friends were like, "Ewww" when they first saw me do it. I told them it was good, and they looked at me funny.

Ok, I found this to be a great great side dish, something I threw together on my own.

Take a bunch of pearl onions and cut the ends off of them. Boil the onions until they are very tender. Drain the water and take the onions out, if you squeeze them gently the inside layers should come out as a ball, try to keep it together as much as possible but get it out of that outer layer.

Place the onion that you squeezed out into a baking dish and generously coat with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Bake until everything begins to carmalize.

Pull it out of the oven and stir in baby spinach leaves. Serve hot.

(You can put the spinach in sooner but it will wilt more).

Bluey said:
Dip your fries in your milkshake at mcdonalds.

Sounds a little unusual but then VanillaCreme seems to like it that way also so it may be worth a try.

I only did it at first as a joke to make everyone go Eww, then to my surprise it tasted nice lol. I was like WOW! :eek: that's gooood. Then I keep doing it lol

VanillaCreme said:
Bluey said:

I do that too! It's sooo good. My brother and all his friends were like, "Ewww" when they first saw me do it. I told them it was good, and they looked at me funny.

Bluey said:
I only did it at first as a joke to make everyone go Eww...

What else have you invented in the pursuit of an Ewwww?

Minus said:
Bluey said:
I only did it at first as a joke to make everyone go Eww...

What else have you invented in the pursuit of an Ewwww?

Well since you ask lol. Your going to regret asking that :p

when I was a little boy and my sister was even littler we used to eat the snow. One day I told my younger sister to eat the yellow snow cos it had moor flavor in. LMAO she did. she also told my mum that the yellow snow had moor flavor in and that I told her this. And yes I got a clip round the ear for it :( But is now funny as hell :D ent I a tinker ;)

Bluey said:
One day I told my younger sister to eat the yellow snow cos it had moor flavor in. LMAO she did.

Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

~Frank Zappa

Minus said:
Bluey said:
One day I told my younger sister to eat the yellow snow cos it had moor flavor in. LMAO she did.

Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye

~Frank Zappa

LMAO, I was thinking WHAT, But then at the end I see you got it :) very good :)

Latest posts

Back