A different kind of loneliness, perhaps

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramp

Reaction score
So I've been a member for a while now, but haven't really managed a post until now. While there are quite a few threads that I would like to respond to, I figured it would be a better idea to introduce myself first, so that people could get to know a little about me.

As I mentioned, I have gone through a number of posts here and I believe I suffer from loneliness of a rather different kind. While the core of the problem is the same, the parameters are not so common (or so I think).

I am a 23 year old male who does not necessarily have trouble mixing with people and making friends. I work as a software engineer and love what I do. I go out with friends and colleagues now and then and share good times with them. Yet, I feel lonely. I feel a void, as if something is missing in life.

I am not really an extrovert either, which makes me a good talker once I get to know someone, but I find it difficult to maintain contact. I may have fun with friends one day, but will be very lonely for a good few weeks or even months before engaging in social activities again. There are too many weekends (like this one, for example) when everyone else seems to be busy with their friends/significant others, and I find myself browsing the internet at home and such, wishing I had people to go out and watch a movie or share some drinks with.

Then there are times when I don't feel very comfortable with the way I look. These are times when I wish I were better looking. I have had a few relationships, but things haven't gone too well lately, and I believe that may have something to do with this feeling.

The good part about my situation, I guess, is that I always hope. I hope for better times; I hope that I will have someone to spend weekends with, that I will have people to talk to when I get home after work. I just grind it out and let the state of depression wane away. I try to convince myself that life is meant to be like this, and I, being a very ordinary person probably don't deserve any better.

I am not sure I am making a whole lot of sense here. I guess it is just one of those times when you have a flurry of emotions but don't really have the ability to put them in words to actually describe how you're feeling. In any case, now that I have attempted to express myself, I intend to spend some of my lonely times here, talking about other people, myself, and all the other kinds of things that are usually discussed here.

I truly appreciate your honesty and courage. I read you post on my thread and I am glad you responded. They are some very useful thoughts. I'm not exactly in the same type of situation, but my heart goes out to you. I think we all have our lonely moments, some days are better than others. I keep a positive attitude about it and think tomorrow will bring something new (maybe). I hear so often, how even when we have friends, we still long for someone to share things with. A partner in life, a really close friend (confidante), someone who just understands us and gets what we are about. Also too, I think we all go through a time of not liking how we look. I still don't lol. But, I work with what the good man upstairs gave me and hope I don scare ne1 when I step outside heh. Well, I am glad you are here (in a good way) and I wish you all the best. I would be happy to talk to you if you ever need an ear :)

Thanks, I am actually amazed by some of the things that you've said. Here I was, thinking that I made absolutely no sense at all, but you seem to have grasped my situation for exactly what it is :)

Hiya

There are times in life for all of us when we share the same thoughts and feelings. I myself work long hours during the week...it comes with the job that I do...however the weekends can often be a very lonely affair...when the only person you talk to would be the checkout girl at the supermarket...or the man at the garage when filling up with petrol. I myself only joined the website a week ago and, after one of the best weeks of my entire life, am having a dreadfully lonely time tonight...much for the same reasons that you are.

It makes perfect sense to me. If you want to bounce anything around or just vent your frustrations then I am always about.

Tramp said:
The good part about my situation, I guess, is that I always hope. I hope for better times; I hope that I will have someone to spend weekends with, that I will have people to talk to when I get home after work. I just grind it out and let the state of depression wane away. I try to convince myself that life is meant to be like this, and I, being a very ordinary person probably don't deserve any better.

I am not sure I am making a whole lot of sense here.

Hope is about the only thing some of us have...and you've made perfect sense. Welcome aboard.

Wow Tramp, not only that this is making perfect sense to me, I can relate myself to it. Felt as if I was reading my own thoughts...

One day I feel I'm flying high and the next 10 days I spend feeling low over nothing. Sometimes I'm 100 % fearless to talk to anyone or do anything, and some days I don't get out of my place. Some days even if everything is alright I feel something is missing. Some times even if there are 1000s of people around me I still feel lonely.

Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back