A long ramble from a new member...Hello!! :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringwood

Reaction score
So...Here I am at my computer as I am every day, for hours on end. For some strange reason, I found myself googling 'lonely people', and lo and behold, this site came up. Gee...I think I belong here. A question: If the most meaningful conversation you have during the course of any given week is with your cat, does that constitute a lonely person??! LOL. Seriously, I know that sounds really sad, but it's the truth a lot of the time...And I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, somebody out there can relate...:)

So...A little about me, and why I find myself here. My name is Julie, I'm 36, and I live in a very small (and I do mean small - population, about 800 people) town on northern Vancouver Island in BC, Canada. My fiance and I moved here about a year ago - he actually grew up here, so he knows quite a lot of people and he works at the local grocery store in town. Being such a small town, there's not a lot of opportunities for work and I don't drive, so my options are pretty limited in regards to a job. Also, I'm currently 4 months pregnant, so I'm currently 'retired', so to speak. :) This town is pretty and all, but this is the rugged West Coast of BC: fishing, hunting, drinking in the local bar, driving the local logging roads, golfing...These are things people do around here...Which is great - if you're into that sort of thing...Unfortunately, I'm not...

I guess I would describe myself as your typical daydreamer... I read voraciously and have an extensive collection of books on all sorts of subjects from philosophy to the occult; I'm a bit of a computer geek, I love gaming, I love messing about with Photoshop and that sort of thing. I like photography, I like sewing, I like writing, I love all sorts of music, I'm a medieval/renaissance history buff, I love historical costumes, the SCA, cats, roaming about old cemeteries (I've always wanted to go on a ghost-hunting expedition!), exploring new places....Yeah. 'Daydreamer' is definitely the perfect word for me! :)
On the other hand, I'm also rather neurotic, shy, and anxious around new people, which can be a problem. I see a counsellor every couple of weeks or so, and he's really quite concerned about my lack of social outlets...Especially with winter coming on here - it rains straight for about 4 months or so and it can get very depressing. I had a bout of depression last year, and I really don't want to go through that again! :(

So, again, here's the problem. A typical week for me is spent by myself for at least 8-9 hours a day. My fiance gets a couple of days off a week, BUT...Hunting season is now open here, which means he'll be taking every spare day to go out hunting with his buddies for at least the next couple of months (I'm not a lover of hunting, by the way, but I guess I've managed to come to terms with it.) I don't have any friends here at all, and aside from the odd visit from his family (they live here, and they're nice, but I don't really relate to them), I see and talk to no one. Being shy and being a great lover of my privacy, I don't really go out at all, except to the local library. So, I pretty much stick around the house and occupy myself. Which is fine most of the time - I'm kind of a loner at heart, so being alone for hours on end doesn't really bother me too, too much and I'm fairly adept at finding things to do. But, that said, I'm also not a social pariah - I do need human contact. There's times (especially lately) when I wish to God I had someone to hang out with. Someone to have an intelligent conversation with (my cats are fine and all, but someone human would be nice to talk to, too!!) Yes...I admit it. I'm lonely, and feeling lonelier by the day.

Most people who actually take the time to get to know me, find me quite interesting. I'm a little weird, and some of my interests are not quite run-of-the-mill, but I'm intelligent and curious about all sorts of things and I have a good, somewhat odd, sense of humour. I enjoy writing, whether by hand or email, so penpals are always welcome too. I guess what I'm seeking is somebody to connect with on a fairly regular basis. Of course, a friend in person would be fabulous, but I highly doubt that anybody reading this would live in my area of the world. And that's OK. Email conversations, chat, MSN, even phone calls would be most welcome....Here's a invite from a fellow lonely person in the world...Let's connect! :) Cheers...Take care, everyone.

Hmm I can relate in regards to the cat thing, and I also have a lot of those hobbies.

Welcome and stuff.

What philosophers do you take to?

Also is it snowing there yet?

Unacceptance said:
Hmm I can relate in regards to the cat thing, and I also have a lot of those hobbies.

Welcome and stuff.

Hello...Nice to meet you. I'm glad someone else can relate to conversations with cats...:)

LOL. No...It's not snowing here. Typically, it doesn't snow - it rains...For months, and months, and months. It's coastal rainforest...:) Maybe once during the winter, we'll get a light snowfall but it's gone within a day or so. I used to live in the Interior of BC (Salmon Arm), and you do get snow there - lots of it. I miss it...

As far as philosophers go, I suppose I'm more partial to the ancients - Plato, Socrates...History and ancient civilizations make for good reading material.

Welcome Julie :)

Hello Julie :)
Wow, you sound so interesting! I like a lot of the same things you do. Congradulations on the baby :) I would love to talk to you sometime if your up for it. Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Naleena said:
Hello Julie :)
Wow, you sound so interesting! I like a lot of the same things you do. Congradulations on the baby :) I would love to talk to you sometime if your up for it. Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Hi Naleena...Thanks for the congratulations :) It's my first, and I'm so, so nervous and scared (and happy too, don't get me wrong!). I'd definitely be up for a conversation - sounds like we'd have lots to chat about...Feel free to email me anytime. Maybe we can have a chat through MSN or something...

P.S - I love your avatar picture. Very gothic and mysterious. :)

ringwood said:
Unacceptance said:

Welcome and stuff.

Hello...Nice to meet you. I'm glad someone else can relate to conversations with cats...:)

LOL. No...It's not snowing here. Typically, it doesn't snow - it rains...For months, and months, and months. It's coastal rainforest...:) Maybe once during the winter, we'll get a light snowfall but it's gone within a day or so. I used to live in the Interior of BC (Salmon Arm), and you do get snow there - lots of it. I miss it...

As far as philosophers go, I suppose I'm more partial to the ancients - Plato, Socrates...History and ancient civilizations make for good reading material.

You like Diogenes at all?

I like reading about history too. Might end up becoming my Major.

anime girlboy said:
hi Julie, wow, i can relate to your not talking to anyone for most of the day! but i guess everyone here can!

This is very true.

Welcome to the forums ringwood!:) Vancouver is one of the most beautiful Canadian cities existing (even if it rains A LOT) and its nice to read someone as smart as yourself inhabiting it. You seem like someone who is very open minded to try different and interesting things. I suggest maybe trying to get into some workshops in your local area. Whether it be a photo, book, film or art club I am sure that there are such things occuring to give you an opportunity to start meeting people who have similar interests as you.

That is all I can really say for you even though you probably have thought about and tried such things.:)

Take care.

Latest posts

Back