A talk with myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
I visited my parents this week. For some reason I decided to sleep downstairs; it was too hot upstairs, and the 'basement' used to be my realm of power :p So I decided to reminisce a bit and throw my futon down on the carpet.

I hooked my laptop in to my old internet line and plugged it in to be ready, and headed down the hall to take a shower in my old bathroom. But as I did, I walked by my old room, and I stopped for a moment.

I opened the door.

It was never a big room and never will be, since rooms don't grow on their own. The 'footprints' from my old bed were still in the carpet, and I could more or less see where everything had been. I sat down where my nightstand had been and imagined a shy, nervous young Me, tired from his first month of work in the woods, laying there on his bed. And I imagined him asking me what the future was, because that's what I would have asked the future me at that point in time. I was an optimist.

The answer kind of disappointed me.

"Well kid, you're almost 23 now. The good news is, you have your GED, you've at least started college, and you don't clear brush anymore, but don't take that as an excuse to slack off."

"The bad news is, you have yet to really exceed in the fire testing process. You worked for Westside -yes, that Westside- for exactly a year before they had to lay you off. Then you go to work for EMS part time. Don't worry, they're not as bad as you think. Your studies for the civil service exam are half-assed, your exercise for the CPAT is inconsistent, your degree isn't finished, and you've missed a couple of important application periods that you shouldn't have.

Also, you've had a brief fling with a girl by now, but you still have yet to really talk to one or go on a second date and you've never had a girlfriend."

"Oh, and you live with Bill at the fire station and he snores like a ************ if you don't go to bed before he does."

I went on asking 'myself' a few more questions, and it struck me without me even expecting it: I was disappointed in myself. I'm on the fringe of where I could be if I would double my efforts. Depression and procrastination have been undermining me like there's no tomorrow.

I'm through setting up a disappointing future for myself.

For 8 months I've been telling myself I need to workout more regularly and study to get my written score up so I can use my interview skills and land a position, but I've been so inconsistent it's not even funny; and my written exams languish for it. Somewhere there's a job for me, a badge with my name on it; I have to be ready to earn it when it comes along.

So today's the day. The other night I worked on my resume. Just now I buried my nose in the book for two hours. I gotta go to work, but when I get back I'm going to pack up and run the stairs and do pushups until I'm ready to drop.

That mopey kid from four years ago doesn't deserve another minute of sub-par effort.

Brian--
I read everyone of your posts and the 22 year old I read is; strong, smart, decisive and outspoken. Your words carry a real, go-getter and ballsey, as all hell, tone. You got potential by the ton Sweety, you just have to kick up the out-put and you'll fly....I see this post doing just that....Enjoy the flight..:)

WHy do the most awesome people, always think so little of themselves?

(((((Brian)))))

I think you've got a successful future ahead of you, from what I've seen of your posts. You seem motivated and realistic, just stay focused. Good luck :)

Truthfully, Brian, if you're as honest and grounded in real life as you present yourself on the internet, then you've got nothing to be disappointed about. You've got a great gob of common sense and decency in you, so you're already in the top 10% of humanity. And your drive to continue to improve yourself is nothing less than exemplary.

No worries, man. Keep up the good work. :)

EveWasFramed said:
WHy do the most awesome people, always think so little of themselves?

(((((Brian)))))

What Eve said.

I can tell from your posts that you are well-spoken, sharp and scathingly funny.

I have faith in you. Some of us need the motivation of nearing rock bottom or letting things reach a critical mass to light a fire under our ass to get going.

Go get 'em. :)

Brian, you are soooo young !

At 23 you are more mature and accomplished than most people. You live on your own, you have a good job - these are things to be proud of. Only a fraction of people your age can say these things. youre obviously intelligent and your future looks bright. All of the other things will come. Just be patient. You have a great life to look forward to.

I wish I was even half that motivated, man.

It takes me like a week to muster up the idea in my head of going out just for a walk, but then somehow that gets ruined by the rest of my unmotivated and incredibly frustrating family. :rolleyes2:

wtf...Brain
Just becuase I'm a bad ass. Impregnant a hot babe. Had women throwing themselves at me.
Had a career. Owned my own home. Raising a family. Drove a bad ass cars @ 23 dosn't
mean everyone else can be as bad ass as me. I'm the honeysuckle :p

Stoping compairing yourself to me...hahahaaa
I won't give U the beat me down..cuz U being doing that 2 urself enough.

Maybe visiting ur parents triggered alot of expectations that U couldn't live up to
by your parents or yourself.
Maybe try reserching on low self esteem and all that good stuff.

Maybe try making a gratitide list.
U ever notice gratitude list or things I'm grateful that I write about sometimes?

U should consider dating hawt psycho bitches...man.
Young and single...haVE fUN. eNJOY UR life...Stop taking life so **** serious all de time.
Be bad, miss behave or let lose. Women loves that honeysuckle.

Brian just accept your faults for what they are, simply pieces of yourself that are normal. No one expects you to be perfect. Just love yourself warts and all. They're not faults to begin with. You strike me as a guy with a can do attitude, look at the things that you do well at.

Brian Oh Brian you have a full life ahead, enjoy!. I whish I was half as mature as you are @ 23 funny you wrote that the day I turned 40 ouch!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back