Acceptance of death

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebolt

Life and death. I think one cannot exist without the other. What would life be without death? Infinite in duration, for one. What would that make your life? Exciting? Boring? Interesting? Dull?

I personally think that the fear of death stops one to fully enjoy being alive. I noticed that when i accepted the existance of death, through my spiritual beliefs, many fears and anxieties that i previously didn't link to any fear of death seem to have aleviated. I feel i can truly live now that i have accepted death.

So, what i wanted to do here, is to highlight the importance of accepting death [i[into[/i] one's life. Maybe it works different from person to person, i don't know, but for me it worked very positively, so i thought i'd share it, so other people might benefit from it.

I think to live forever would be interesting. There's so many things to learn, but would the brain deteriorate slower too then?

forever maybe not, but a few centuries, or a couple of millennia, would be cool

I get what you're saying here.

Hmm. But what if I've never really feared death? It would not make much of a difference then would it.

SophiaGrace said:
I think to live forever would be interesting. There's so many things to learn, but would the brain deteriorate slower too then?

Peaches said:
forever maybe not, but a few centuries, or a couple of millennia, would be cool

I was actually talking about accepting death, as a person. Not just remove the fear of it, but accept it being there. I noticed it alleviated alot of fears for me.

Of course, the topic of living forever, or for a very long time, is very interesting too, but not what i was trying to talk about. :)

:) then it's another story, and even more interesting, I might add

Rosebolt said:
I personally think that the fear of death stops one to fully enjoy being alive. I noticed that when i accepted the existance of death, through my spiritual beliefs, many fears and anxieties that i previously didn't link to any fear of death seem to have aleviated. I feel i can truly live now that i have accepted death.

to accept death, makes everything really manageable, I think, everything goes into perspective, big dramas can't take place anymore, things are important but not so scary, the pressure is off, in a sense.

For me acceptance was key to stop once and for all some really bad panic attacks, and to come to terms to all the things that didn't work in my life and that I felt bad about.

I am not saying that if death comes tomorrow or in half an hour I will be perfectly ready, but I guess I don't stress about it anymore, and life without pressure to succeed etc is infinitely more enjoyable.

There have been many times when I didn't care if I died or not, but not caring isn't really the same as accepting. Its not easy for me to accept anyone's death.

I think that religion plays a key role in how one looks at death. I believe in Heaven being much better than life so my death is a blessing to me. I can't speak for others whether they're my family or just people I know. It's a personal thing among different people.

LoneKiller said:
I think that religion plays a key role in how one looks at death. I believe in Heaven being much better than life so my death is a blessing to me. I can't speak for others whether they're my family or just people I know. It's a personal thing among different people.

If that is the case, wouldn't you actually look forward to dying?

Interesting topic.

I cant really understand the idea that anyone truly accepts death. Perhaps choosing not to let it interfere with your LIVING but not fully accepting. Accepting your own mortality is easy in my eyes, its the possibility of losing loved ones that is hard (impossible even) to accept, especially as a parent, the possibility of losing a child. How could anybody accept that?

nelloy said:
Interesting topic.

I cant really understand the idea that anyone truly accepts death. Perhaps choosing not to let it interfere with your LIVING but not fully accepting. Accepting your own mortality is easy in my eyes, its the possibility of losing loved ones that is hard (impossible even) to accept, especially as a parent, the possibility of losing a child. How could anybody accept that?

I was more aiming at the acceptance of one's own death, not really the death of people around you. Though i guess it can be extended to that, as well.

Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:

Yes. But in a natural way. Not by suicide or anything like that. Do you find it odd that I look forward to death in that respect?:)

LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:

Yes. But in a natural way. Not by suicide or anything like that. Do you find it odd that I look forward to death in that respect?:)

Not at all, i'm just interested in the way you look at it. I can learn from that. I think it's good that you aren't afraid of dying, my beliefs are different, but the effect it has on us is pretty much the same, i think.

Rosebolt said:
nelloy said:
Interesting topic.

I was more aiming at the acceptance of one's own death, not really the death of people around you. Though i guess it can be extended to that, as well.

The idea of my own death doesn't scare me at all. All things life can throw at you are much scarier for me. I think you may be right though, extreme fear of death would undoubtedly stop one from fully enjoying their life. A little fear keeps people from doing stupid things (in most cases) but excessive fear of ANYTHING is not good.

Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:

Not at all, i'm just interested in the way you look at it. I can learn from that. I think it's good that you aren't afraid of dying, my beliefs are different, but the effect it has on us is pretty much the same, i think.
nelloy is right. This is an interesting topic. Good choice man.:) I just find much comfort in my belief of Heaven. One could ask how would I know for sure it exists and would get in, and it all boils down to faith. I think this topic would be interesting to the terminally ill as well. I'm certain that they would have some interesting replies.

LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:

nelloy is right. This is an interesting topic. Good choice man.:) I just find much comfort in my belief of Heaven. One could ask how would I know for sure it exists and would get in, and it all boils down to faith. I think this topic would be interesting to the terminally ill as well. I'm certain that they would have some interesting replies.

I'm sure they would. I guess its easy to accept death when you have no reason to believe its imminent. knowing its coming would be different.

I dont believe there is a 'heaven' as such. But I do believe what will be will be, fearing it serves no purpose and wont change it.

nelloy said:
LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:
LoneKiller said:
Rosebolt said:

I'm sure they would. I guess its easy to accept death when you have no reason to believe its imminent. knowing its coming would be different.

I dont believe there is a 'heaven' as such. But I do believe what will be will be, fearing it serves no purpose and wont change it.
Hi nelloy.:)
I used to have a habit of getting ticked off about things that I didn't like even though I couldn't do anything about it. I've just learned to mellow out. Nobody can escape death. That's something we all share. No sense letting drive you nuts.

nelloy said:

I thought about this often. I mean, in reality i'm just a young guy screaming that he has accepted death and is ready for anything to cross his path.

But am i? Yes, because i accepted death, i've done more things for example at work that i otherwise wouldn't. But i have never looked death in the eye, far from it. Last year, my three remaining grandparents all died in about 4 months. I was on good terms with all of them. That is, i think, the closest i have ever been to death, and of course, it wasn't about me.

So how would i react if i did get to look death in the eye? Would i look away? Would i hold a stare contest? I think that that's impossible to tell from where i am now, how i would react in such a situation that is. It's as the saying goes: "It's easy to have faith when everything's fine."

Is death something you can prepare for? It's the biggest happening in our lives, apart from life itself. Something of such a magnitude, can such a thing really be prepared for? I do think so, if you devote your life to, not necessarily death and only death, but devote your life to a cause that is above life, and therefore, above death. Then, you can find peace in dying, because you know you've led a good life, or know that death is not the end, or wathever floats your boat.

I accept death because I look at it as the next great adventure - in one way or another, a lot of questions would be answered that people have discussed for thousands of years.

I accept death like how I click on "I agree" to the "license agreement" pages when I download an app. Just like the license agreement, I have no idea what death contains. I am not really afraid of it, because I don't have a concept of "death", never having experienced it before. I have a notion of it that I've made up, which is that of complete darkness and a not-me, but that's my own invention.

If I chose this life, by default I also chose to accept death as part of the deal. I can either accept it or not. Acceptance seems so much easier than driving myself even crazier living in complete and utter denial. Yet I'm still clearly living in denial because my papers/insurance/wills are not yet in order. Oopsies!

Latest posts

Back