Worse Fears.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colster

Reaction score
A simple subject for debate, today. What is your worse fear?

Do you dear a life unloved. The death of a loved one. Or perhaps your greatest dear is waking to discover that you are married to Brittney Spears.

Mine, I call my Titanic hypothesis. I fear being on a sinking ship, in the cold dark of night, thousands of miles from anywhere, with an uncertain future, or a slow death.

Throughout life, I have coped with some pretty bad disasters, coping knowing the variables. It's the not knowing, the uncertainty, which truly scares me.

Now folks, your turn.

Last edited:
I fear... going blind to be honest, and spiders, but if I was blind I wouldn't be able to see them... but not being able to see them makes them more scary, like when they disappear into the darkness.

I fear... going blind to be honest, and spiders, but if I was blind I wouldn't be able to see them... but not being able to see them makes them more scary, like when they disappear into the darkness.
This is a surprisingly common fear. Do you have your own reasoning or rational as to why you dear blindness and spiders?

This is a surprisingly common fear. Do you have your own reasoning or rational as to why you dear blindness and spiders?

You know... when I was 10ish my parents took me to meet my biological family, and they were old and blind and I was so afraid, I was terrified of being like that one day. Spiders is a strange one, I have no idea about spiders well all bugs to be fair, I scream so loud around bugs the neighbours have like banged my door coming to rescue me before loool I was actually shaking they thought someone was trying to break in or something. 🙈 😅

For me it would be having an accident or a stroke, becoming paralysed as the result, and not being able to make choices about my future. Also, a slow and painful death.
I have to ask, would you be more scared of being a "vegetable" or just paralysed?

I have to ask, would you be more scared of being a "vegetable" or just paralysed?

'Just paralysed' a bit more. Although, I feel really sorry for others when thinking that they would have to watch and care for me being in a vegetative state.

I don't mind looking after someone in such state. But I still find it hard knowing that they can't even hear me.

Hmmm. . . worst fears, eh? There's lots of things I'm scared of: heights, clowns, dolls, gory, excessive horror. But worst fear? Probably being buried alive.

The fear stems back to a certain thriller movie I watched with my hubby a few years back about a woman who is kidnapped and gets buried alive. I can't remember the exact details of the movie, but basically her boyfriend spends years searching for her, only to discover the grisly details of her death. Anyway, I wasn't overly disturbed watching the movie at the time. Fast forward a few months later. I happened to be playing with my son and we were making forts out of large cardboard boxes - I crawled into one of the boxes and it was really dark and a tight fit. Suddenly I was hit with a massive panic attack - like FULL-ON panic. Never experienced anything quite like it.

And now I'm deathly afraid of being buried alive. Weird, huh? o_O

Hmmm. . . worst fears, eh? There's lots of things I'm scared of: heights, clowns, dolls, gory, excessive horror. But worst fear? Probably being buried alive.

The fear stems back to a certain thriller movie I watched with my hubby a few years back about a woman who is kidnapped and gets buried alive. I can't remember the exact details of the movie, but basically her boyfriend spends years searching for her, only to discover the grisly details of her death. Anyway, I wasn't overly disturbed watching the movie at the time. Fast forward a few months later. I happened to be playing with my son and we were making forts out of large cardboard boxes - I crawled into one of the boxes and it was really dark and a tight fit. Suddenly I was hit with a massive panic attack - like FULL-ON panic. Never experienced anything quite like it.

And now I'm deathly afraid of being buried alive. Weird, huh? o_O
This might seem bizarre, but I really like this one. Thanks for the details.

I have a slightly similar fear of horror. I absolutely adores the old 70's movie Salems Lot. I pretty much know it word for word. But, I know it gives me nightmares. Stupid floaty vampire kids at the window. Same with American Werewolf in London, there's one single scene, I can barely bring myself to think about it.

*perils of having successful parents, and then owning a VCR, long before they were commonplace. Weekends were video nights with the neighbours and family included. Video choices didn't always reflect this.

This might seem bizarre, but I really like this one. Thanks for the details.

I have a slightly similar fear of horror. I absolutely adores the old 70's movie Salems Lot. I pretty much know it word for word. But, I know it gives me nightmares. Stupid floaty vampire kids at the window. Same with American Werewolf in London, there's one single scene, I can barely bring myself to think about it.

*perils of having successful parents, and then owning a VCR, long before they were commonplace. Weekends were video nights with the neighbours and family included. Video choices didn't always reflect this.
Same. We had a VCR (two actually so my mum could pirate (ahem. . . record) movies) long before anyone else did. I grew up watching a lot of ‘adult’ movies - horror and the more X-rated stuff too (very liberal parents - I was lucky 😏). Anyhow, I remember watching lots of cheesy 70’s/80’s horror - Hammer movies, Stephen King, etc, The one that freaked me out was The Shining. To this day, just the mere sight of those two creepy little girls sends me hiding. Which brings up another fear - little kids in horror movies. Nothing creepier!

hmmm...so many to choose from....
Being paralyzed for sure, no control of your body, living solely in your own head
another is fearing my stupid anxiety has caused me to pass up all my chances for happiness, you know the old what if I didn't have it and did this or that differently would my life have ended up better?
Biggest is related to that... the old not leaving a mark in the world thing... if I died tomorrow, would anyone truly even notice(family doesn't count)... did I affect anyone's life enough(be it a daily laugh or just opening the door for them) that they would actually miss me...I mean life is kind of meaningless if you are not affecting others positively

For me, I fear being killed by someone. Perhaps this is why it takes awhile to trust someone.

And.... where do these feelings originate? Being bullied in school. Then hanging out with another set of bullies to bully the bullies LOL 😉

Of the potentially realistic:

Being alive during a cataclysmic event.
I.e. Old Faithful eruption, the Ring of Fire of volcanoes being set off, an asteroid hitting the Earth, etc.
Potential Doomsday scenarios.
This scares me, because I have a rather high res comprehension of the voracity of human nature and instinct.
We didn't just "get to the top of the food chain" because we're intelligent, we also got here because of our sheer brutality. There are nearly 8,000,000,000 People on the planet...could you imagine what would happen if all of the sudden no laws mattered, because we're all going to die within 72 hours??

Of the completely unrealistic (I hope):

The notion that something like H.P. Lovecraft's Azathoth might be real, is a terrifying thought of its own. I'm actually more terrified of this, than I am of the more realistic listed above. Because at least the above I can wrap my head around, a concept like Azathoth, not so much.

Latest posts

Back