Admitting there is a problem...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
The first step is admitting that there is a problem, and that you are helpless to….well…whatever.

For a while now I have not been taking care of myself. I can think of it back when I moved out and went to college, is when it started. When I lived with my parents in high school, I took care of myself. I did chores everyday after school, worked with my dogs, then did homework, ate dinner, then relaxed, and then brushed my teeth and went to bed. Every morning, I woke up at 5 am, went to my dog kennel, cleaned it, showered, and was ready for school.

I want that life back. I want that self motivating life. Every since I left that life of routine, I don’t even brush my teeth everyday. Now I look at my health, and I am scared.

My sister was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Actually 1 out of 10 women have it, according to the Mayo Clinic. It can cause heart disease, diabetes, and depression. If you have a female relative that has it, you also have a higher chance to have it. I checked the symptoms of POS, and I have **** near all of them.

When I found this out I felt even more helpless to my health. I feel that I am in such terrible shape that I am going to get some sort of disease. I have never in my life been a hypochondriac or thought I would be susceptible to anything. I felt like the past few months, I have given up even more.

I am tired of feeling this way. I want a healthy life again. I was happy with that. So, today I believe I made another step to get myself better. I made 3 doctors appointments. I have been putting this off for a year now, because I am afraid of what they were going to tell me.

Sorry, this ended up being longer than I thought it would be.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Nicole. I know how tough it is to get yourself going again.

Nicole,

I'm sorry you have been feeling this way.... if it helps at all, I am in the same boat. Not with the PCOS, but not taking care of myself....not being active, gaining weight and feeling pretty crappy overall. I let an ear condition go un-checked for 15 years, and now I need a not so small surgery to clear it up.

It felt good to go and get my physical when I did, it also felt good to have my ear checked..... I was shocked, because I thought the doctors would find much worse in my blood work.

Try not to google symptoms of things, you'll end up thinking you have everything. I do that ALL the time. It good that you are getting checked, you will feel better after you see the doctors.

As far as a Healthy Life Style, I would love to have a "buddy" that i can check in with to make sure i am staying on track with eating better, getting some exercise, as well as making sure i shower everyday. If you would like to do this with me, We could check in on each other..... let me know!

Sorry for my ramble.... I know how you feel, and i wish you the best at your doctor appointments.

(((hug)))

Sounds like you are going in the right direction. Keep it up.
Just like Danielle said don't google it. There are plenty of causes that share the same symptoms.
Got some motivation to spare?

I have PCOS, just wanted you to know you are not alone if you do have it and it is surprisingly common. I found out I had it at 17, i went to the dr because i never got a period and that's when they told me why. I was devastated when I read the symptoms, I basically thought I'd grow up to be fat, hairy and never have kids. 11 yrs later, I have a child, razors and I'm still not fat. On the bright side I haven't had a period in 7 yrs, I guess the only plus to having it. I have always battled with depression though, which sucks, but one day at a time I suppose.

I am with you. I have lost my "mojo" so to speak. I can't tell if it is because of some change in my brain as an adult, because of a change in my living arrangement (to a larger home) or just that I am so burned out from work. I forget to take multivitamns... forget to brush teeth, I even send myself emails from google calendar and STILL forget.

But good on you.. I have lost all faith in doctors and dentists.

As for the PCOS... remember syndromes are not for certain. They are doctors saying we see a lot of people like this and we don't know why and so we will treat the symptoms. Don't lock yourself into this "oh I have a horrible problem" when even the doctors don't know this for sure.

Sorry to read about this Nicole, I hope you continue to keep strong though. Good luck with the appointment, may the results be good news. *hug*

lonelypanda said:
I have PCOS, just wanted you to know you are not alone if you do have it and it is surprisingly common. I found out I had it at 17, i went to the dr because i never got a period and that's when they told me why. I was devastated when I read the symptoms, I basically thought I'd grow up to be fat, hairy and never have kids. 11 yrs later, I have a child, razors and I'm still not fat. On the bright side I haven't had a period in 7 yrs, I guess the only plus to having it. I have always battled with depression though, which sucks, but one day at a time I suppose.

I was just looking it up so I could understand what my sister had. I tell people I don't have periods, I come in heat, lol. I was surprised how common it was.

Danielle said:
Nicole,

I'm sorry you have been feeling this way.... if it helps at all, I am in the same boat. Not with the PCOS, but not taking care of myself....not being active, gaining weight and feeling pretty crappy overall. I let an ear condition go un-checked for 15 years, and now I need a not so small surgery to clear it up.

It felt good to go and get my physical when I did, it also felt good to have my ear checked..... I was shocked, because I thought the doctors would find much worse in my blood work.

Try not to google symptoms of things, you'll end up thinking you have everything. I do that ALL the time. It good that you are getting checked, you will feel better after you see the doctors.

As far as a Healthy Life Style, I would love to have a "buddy" that i can check in with to make sure i am staying on track with eating better, getting some exercise, as well as making sure i shower everyday. If you would like to do this with me, We could check in on each other..... let me know!

Sorry for my ramble.... I know how you feel, and i wish you the best at your doctor appointments.

(((hug)))

Thanks Danielle, we might have to start this!

I'm glad I am not the only one dealing with this. :)

I remember when I first moved away from home. The enormity of everything I had to do was quite concerning. I certainly lost my flow for a long while. I stopped exercising, started eating badly and I regularly forgot to shower and take care of myself.

I'm still not one hundred percent with it all, but I am a lot better now. I remember it was hard starting to do all of that, to take care of myself properly, it is possible though. I found that perhaps the biggest issue where food was concerned was lack of knowledge. I'd never had to cook before, but now I like to think I'm okay at it. I can follow some instructions at least. I find I have to make a real effort with it, but I'm pretty determined. Heh.

I think that buddy idea is a pretty good idea, heh. Best of luck with that if you try to do it. Heh.

Latest posts

Back