Alcohol

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

All In The Mind

Would you say a person has a drink problem if, after many weeks of heavy consumption, stays off alcohol for over a week but once they walk past the local pub they feel obliged to go in and must have a pint?

are you trying to find out if you qualify as an alcoholic?...

lol, just kidding.

if a person drinks heavily like you mentioned, and then dries out for a week, and then on the eighth day walks past a bar and feels compelled to drink heavily again, then no, i don't think that qualifies the person as having a drinking problem.

hope it helps.

you are an alcoholic if your drinking adversely affects your ability to function properly. or if you shake without it. lol.

If you have to ask if "this certain pattern of behavior qualifies you as an alcoholic" you may or not be an alcoholic, but try cutting back for a little while and see if you feel better in any way. If you don't want to cut back...............................there's your answer :p

...questions ... used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic.

Just_Some_Dude said:
you are an alcoholic if your drinking adversely affects your ability to function properly. or if you shake without it. lol.

My Uncle Mark is a terrible alcoholic. He drinks a six pack before he goes to work. He NEVER acts drunk, not even a little bit, and he drinks over a case a day. No one can ever tell that he drinks, and he goes to work everyday.

"functioning alcoholic"

Im sure he probably shakes, though.

My mom said that her father drank so much he would get up in the middle of the night to drink whiskey. He worked everyday, too.

So, I think it is different for everyone.

If you THINK you may have a problem you are the best person to make that decision.

According to most tests i need to cut down my alcohol consumption as they say i am on the verge on being an alcoholic.

In other words i can continue to get pissed and know i ain't an alcoholic yet!!!

Oh well, question solved :D

In my opinion an alcoholic drinks from when ever he/she wakes up to make the hangover from drinking heavily the past night, being drunk all day and night and passing out and waking up and doing it all over again.

Alcohol can be addictive and some people need to drink but it sounds like your a binge drinker and a recreational drinker, you don't drink to stop any paint mentally/physically you just do it for a good time and not to get wasted.

The fact that you even need to ask that question shows that your usage of alcohol isn't/hasn't been very healthy.

Eureka said:
In my opinion an alcoholic drinks from when ever he/she wakes up to make the hangover from drinking heavily the past night, being drunk all day and night and passing out and waking up and doing it all over again.

Alcohol can be addictive and some people need to drink but it sounds like your a binge drinker and a recreational drinker, you don't drink to stop any paint mentally/physically you just do it for a good time and not to get wasted.

As a alcoholic i agree with that. Once i started getting up and going to the offy/pub to feel better i had crossed the line.

I enjoyed every minute of my drinking when i was younger , so i never want to be hollier than thou about drinking , like some reformed drinkers get. If you enjoy it and its doing you no harm , good luck to you........BUT i will give one warning which i learned on a course.

IF you drink a lot over a period, your liver swells. If you then stop for a few weeks your liver will shrink........binge again your liver swells.
Apparently this expansion/ shrinkage of the liver , which happens amonst binge drinkers is bad for the liver.

I haven't drank close to a month now, plus i'm giving up the cigarettes.

This is unhealthy :D

Nobody likes an alcoholic...we much prefer a drunk :)...at least a drunk knows how to have a good time. An alcoholic just spends all their money on an unhealthy addiction to alcohol. A drunk "LOVES EVERYBODY MAANNNNN...CUZ YOU ROCK...SERIOUSLY *hic* NO ******* SERIOUSLY MAN!!! DON'T EVER SAY THAT YOU DON'T ROCK...cuz you TOTTALLLY ******* DOOO MAN....honeysuckle!!"

I miss being that kinda drunk :(...sober is no fun either :club:

I still drink sometimes. Maybe 2-5 times a year, only. I take insulin so it is not really...uh, safe, to drink.

I am an addict, but never had a problem with the booze.

There is a single beer in my fridge, and its been there at least 3 months.

I should really throw it out.

Latest posts

Back