ALL Artists Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrens

Reaction score
I say Artists in the title, but I don't mean professional, anyone who likes to make some kind of art, will fit.

I didn't know if I should post this on the express yourself section, but I'm not really posting artworks, but I wanted to make a thread dedicated to people who likes to draw or make art (visual artists, painter, whatever), it could be for hobby or maybe you're thinking of starting to draw, or maybe you wanted people to give you advice (though I probably can't give others good advices), or you just want to talk about it and whine about how hard honeysuckle is, it's a general thread.

So regardless of how good you are, or how bad you think you are, (I don't know anything about color myself, I've never even colored in crayons before other than when I was a kid, however I like to cheat using softwares), lets talk about it!

So what got you into drawing or making cool fancy art? What do you use to make them? Do you still like to do them now? Are you having difficulty with them, or have you ever dreamed about being some kind of illustrator, but procrastinate all the time and never got anywhere like me?

lonelyfairy said:
I used to draw manga. :>

I've had that idea in my head all my life but never tried!

I think it's kind of hard to draw pages of them, I mean it's almost like making the entire storyboard of a film in a way, it must be kind of cool to actually make a complete chapter though.

Did you stop?

Lawrens said:
lonelyfairy said:
I used to draw manga. :>

I've had that idea in my head all my life but never tried!

I think it's kind of hard to draw pages of them, I mean it's almost like making the entire storyboard of a film in a way, it must be kind of cool to actually make a complete chapter though.

Did you stop?

I have never drawn pages of them, but it's hard! o_o

Yeah, I stopped... I don't know why, though.

Hi Lawrens. Nice to meet you.:)

This might sound childish, but I make religious pictures with construction paper. I use a lot of different cuts and colors. For the most part, it takes me about a month. I wish I could show them but I have no way to do it. Does this kind of activity count?

lonelyfairy said:

You should try picking it up! I think it's cool if you have a story to tell, not everyone does =P

LoneKiller said:

This might sound childish, but I make religious pictures with construction paper. I use a lot of different cuts and colors. For the most part, it takes me about a month. I wish I could show them but I have no way to do it. Does this kind of activity count?

You could use a camera to take photos of them!

I'm not a religious person, but I used (and still does) to think religious art are pretty awesome, since most of the cool art and sculptures were religion related.

Lawrens said:
lonelyfairy said:

You should try picking it up! I think it's cool if you have a story to tell, not everyone does =P

LoneKiller said:

You could use a camera to take photos of them!

I'm not a religious person, but I used (and still does) to think religious art are pretty awesome, since most of the cool art and sculptures were religion related.
Much to my chagrin, I don't have one.

Been a sucker for comics ever since I was a kid- nowadays, I draw a hobbyist comic on my free time, and generally do graphical stuff as preference in work, including web design. Generally don't do much of general drawing ( did a few video game fan arts in the last couple of years, but other than that, it's been quiet on the eastern front...) since I had to 'grow up and get a day job', which sort of saddens me...Still, I got my comic and my occasional doodles. Used to do a lot of fan comics as a kid, still got those lying around, somewhere, as treasured mementos of better times. It'd break my heart to throw that stuff away.

For some reason, it seems that drawing always takes hours of my time, even basic stuff, so I feel I've been stuck on the same artistic level forever...heh. I'd love to draw more. I even got myself a Intuous 3 tablet, telling myself that it's mostly for 'web design, illustration commissions and logo creation purposes', but deep down, I knew I just wanted to make natty line arts and do away with pesky eraser smudges, scanning on borrowed scanners and whatnot.

I have no idea what got me into drawing. Maybe it was my mom taking away our toys, and drawing was a way to continue on their adventures until we got them back. I've always liked drawing, especially super heroes. I hate drawing real life, I never think it looks quite right. When it comes to drawing real people it has to be perfect in my eyes, I see one little flaw it's scrapped. So I stick to super heroes, even creating my own. :D GEEK! I've been doing it since I was a kid.

Don't like drawing buildings and stuff, that gives me a headache.

I normally use pencil crayons and sometimes coloured markers for details. I've gotten into the habit of inking more, I had a friend who helped give me pointers in doing that process. I do it in 2 stages. First I outline the artwork in a non smudge black fine marker, then colour it, then fill in the larger areas with a larger black marker. To finish it off I use 4 sizes of artist marks thickening up certain lines and sharpening the original lines up.

Been getting into using paint programs to touch up some now, or bringing images together as one, or doing simple edits or colour adjusting. Really haven't done much in total colouring with a computer, that takes some time and tent to do right.

Excellent thread btw

I made this. It's supposed to be artistic and stuff...

[youtube]9u5VzjYE7GA&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

LoneKiller said:
Much to my chagrin, I don't have one.

You should have a camera of some sort in your mobile phone, assuming you have one?

Pixellation generally isn't great, but better than nothing.

Lawrens said:
lonelyfairy said:

I don't have a story to tell, I just drew characters, not stories. *blahh*

.__.

I went through a digital art phase. Selfs and still life. I loved doing actions paintings. Ok I mean its not really the same as doing them properly but its a lot less messy and they still looked good.

I must have 100 & 1 pen drawings of my fave band from when I was a teenager too.

I'm more of a photographer though. Best places I've ever got my photos are Italian Glamour magazine & an online guide to Manchester. The weirdest place was a blog about sheds!

Anonymous Rex said:
You should have a camera of some sort in your mobile phone, assuming you have one?

My mobile doesn't have one... :rolleyes:

Bread said:
For some reason, it seems that drawing always takes hours of my time, even basic stuff, so I feel I've been stuck on the same artistic level forever...heh. I'd love to draw more. I even got myself a Intuous 3 tablet, telling myself that it's mostly for 'web design, illustration commissions and logo creation purposes', but deep down, I knew I just wanted to make natty line arts and do away with pesky eraser smudges, scanning on borrowed scanners and whatnot.

Yea, good thing with tablet is that it probably saves you a layer of work, less cleaning up, I'm not really too overwhelmed by the hours it takes but I'm just really bad at keeping an interest at it, sometimes the more I work, the more I find myself messing things up, and that's just something simple, and half way through I'd rather restart or try something new.

Sci-Fi said:
I normally use pencil crayons and sometimes coloured markers for details. I've gotten into the habit of inking more, I had a friend who helped give me pointers in doing that process. I do it in 2 stages. First I outline the artwork in a non smudge black fine marker, then colour it, then fill in the larger areas with a larger black marker. To finish it off I use 4 sizes of artist marks thickening up certain lines and sharpening the original lines up.

Been getting into using paint programs to touch up some now, or bringing images together as one, or doing simple edits or colour adjusting. Really haven't done much in total colouring with a computer, that takes some time and tent to do right.

Do you usually trace over your drawings on the same paper? I don't have a light box and I find myself terrible at inking stuff so I never got into inking unless it's digital, since I could redo parts that are wrong, maybe my pencil sketches were probably quite flawed to begin with.

SophiaGrace said:
I made this. It's supposed to be artistic and stuff...

Nice! I never actually play with video cameras before, or cameras, maybe if I do I could find more reference or maybe appreciate the surroundings more.

lonelyfairy said:
I don't have a story to tell, I just drew characters, not stories. *blahh*

.__.

Character concepts are cool too

annik said:
I went through a digital art phase. Selfs and still life. I loved doing actions paintings. Ok I mean its not really the same as doing them properly but its a lot less messy and they still looked good.

I must have 100 & 1 pen drawings of my fave band from when I was a teenager too.

I'm more of a photographer though. Best places I've ever got my photos are Italian Glamour magazine & an online guide to Manchester. The weirdest place was a blog about sheds!

Sounds like fun, my brother and his ex used to play with their cameras as a hobby, I don't think my brother got too far with it especially after they broke up, so I guess he just stopped having fun doing it alone.

I took a figurative drawing course while at university and came up with some stuff I was proud of. Maybe I'll take some pictures of my work and upload them.

Latest posts

Back