Am I alone on this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamer8

Reaction score
I'll immerse myself in chat,going out,whatever for a short period of time...and then out of nowhere I kind of hermit myself back in my room. I see nothing wrong with this,I don't even really notice I don't go outside somedays,until I look at my calendar,or iHome stereo and realize I haven't left my house,or gone outside for a day or...a few days.

I don't know if this is common with depression (I don't have a huge fear of groups or a real social anxiety) I just kind of, withdraw completely.

It's hard to explain to my two and a half friends I have here in Arizona,but one seems to understand because she has depression too. I think this action I've done for a while has severed friendships in the past. I'm not really forthcoming in telling people I'm depressed (it was really hard to tell my instructors about it as I went through a personal drama that lasted a week and a half,and missed two assignments in each class...4 if you're wondering)...

So,to conclude this little wall of text,does anybody else do this too?

I am the same way, but only because my world is in my room, lol. I think for me things might change if and when my girl moves in with me.

But I only really leave my room to watch movies and eat and go to school...

I’ve always been a hermit. Back when I had high school summer vacations I would spend a week or more without even looking outside (which is weird, ‘cause I’m actually a very outdoorsy person). Now I don’t have that kind of luxury, but when I don’t have to go to class or work, I’ll hole up in my apartment basically until my food runs out. The days just slip away in a lovely oblivion before I even think of going anywhere. But unlike my teenage self I now need exercise, so I will at least venture out for a walk every day (well, almost every day).

But anyway, I’ve never thought that the inclination to hermit it up was all that strange; I know at least two other people who are at least as bad as I am. Besides, when I go out and socialize I usually become bored. The things I can do in my apartment stimulate my imagination; the things I can do with people out in the big bad world usually do not.

I isolated myself for over a year. For a little while it was good for me. I needed and wanted time to be alone...
but gradually months turned into a year.
Yes, I was very, very depressed...
My mind and body had adjusted to being alone all the time.
Bascailly I had to re adjust again to get back into the main stream of life or rather I'm a bit bussied today.
My schedule are full...I actaully like alone time at least for an hour per/day.

i feel the same way. my work is now isolated but still when i get home and i shut my bedroom door. I feel I can breath again. When i get home on friday afternoon most weekends i dont leave the house again until i have to be at work on mondays.

I always feel like there is something wrong with me i shouldnt be like this, and i do feel really loney sometimes but .... well im sure you guys understand and oddly enough its feels better reading other peoples comments

When I still had my own appartment I was like this all the time.

On an average day I'm a social butterfly. I talk and relate fine with people, get along well at work. People generally like me when they meet me. (Generally).

But after a couple of days of that I had to 'recharge' so to speak. I'd stay home for a day or two and not come out. I'd lock the doors and shut the blinds and sit at my computer with a mound of snack food. I was happy with that.

I dunno if it has anything to do with depression. I know the two behaviors go hand in hand. But I've done some reading, and I -do- know it's a characteristic of the introverted personality. Though we might generally like people, we need a lot of time to ourselves to compensate.

So if you exhibit other introverted behaviors as well, it's probably that. Embrace it; you're normal. :)

I'm a bit like this. I guess the danger is that in isolating yourself you can compound the effects of the depression, and you end up getting into a vicious spiral of isolation and depression. Even if I don't head into the city I do try to catch a bit of sunshine on a daily basis - even just ten minutes outside makes me feel a lot better. I do make a point of heading out to meet someone (usually my therapist!) at least once a week otherwise I would go completely bananas. I suppose the trick with keeping friends under these circumstances is not to ignore them or tell them lies, but to be open about the fact that you won't be able to see them for a couple of days because of your situation. I hope that helps.

Yeah. I do it. Apparently I can not do anything in moderation. I am full-tilt on everything I do until I need to crash and then I turn into a recluse while I recharge my brain, my body, my soul. Sometimes it's short-lived and I'm back in a few hours or a couple of days; other times it's years.

Honestly, I think that it's just how some people cope.

Latest posts

Back