Am I sad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toshy.

Reaction score
heres the story,
I've been dating this guy online never met him before irl but i've seen him on cam and talked to him on skype i'm only 16 years old and so is he..
I never really thought about internet dating before i thought it was sad and pathetic but when your lonely it feels kind of good? I know i sound sad, but i really like this guy. He lives in England though and I'm in Australia..
I dont know what to do because It seems really sad now that i'm dating someone online but I'm love-less at the moment and I really need the comfort of a boyfriend.. I dont know what to do should I move on? I've tried to find people irl its just hard for me though... Internet relationship or lonliness? Help!

G'day!

Nobody said that finding a companion is a cake walk. Take some chances and be ready to not blame yourself if you get rejected. I've struck out a few times myself. Try to respect and love yourself, then others will respect you. If you are afraid to take risks you might just miss out on something special.

If you look into someone's eyes, you can tell if they are confident in themselves and their surroundings. If you begin to respect yourself more and become more outgoing, people will see that confidence in your eyes. People respect confidence.

I hope this helps some.:)

LoneKiller said:
G'day!

Nobody said that finding a companion is a cake walk. Take some chances and be ready to not blame yourself if you get rejected. I've struck out a few times myself. Try to respect and love yourself, then others will respect you. If you are afraid to take risks you might just miss out on something special.

If you look into someone's eyes, you can tell if they are confident in themselves and their surroundings. If you begin to respect yourself more and become more outgoing, people will see that confidence in your eyes. People respect confidence.

Hey, thanks mate for the help :D

Since it sounds like you two are probably both in similar situations (same age, same approach to this, etc.), I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. Lots of relationships either start online or spend a lot of time online these days. So certainly don't let yourself feel "pathetic" because it doesn't measure up to what your idea of a relationship should be. Happy feelings are happy feelings. :)

That said, the only real pitfall here is if having an online thing is keeping you from meeting someone in real life. Developing an emotional connection with one person might make it hard to open up to someone else if you get the shot. Then again, it might not.

Just try to figure out how invested in this relationship you want to be. Over time, if you change your mind and want out, or decide you want to get more involved somehow, then you can act on that. In that sense, it's no different than any "real life" relationship.

toshy. said:
LoneKiller said:
G'day!

Hey, thanks mate for the help :D
Anytime.:)

i've been through a similar situation.
i would say that its ok to interact with this young man over the internet. i wouldn't get to comfortable with the idea of "dating" him though. you're thousands of miles away from each other. you can interact, but there's way too much that you'll miss out on in each other's lives because of the distance. i suggest trying to find someone more readily around you, but honestly its your choice.

The distance is a challenge. At your age, it might be unsurmountable, though I wouldn't be one to know everything about everything. A good number of relationships do start online these days, so that's nothing unusual.

Gravity said:
Since it sounds like you two are probably both in similar situations (same age, same approach to this, etc.), I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. Lots of relationships either start online or spend a lot of time online these days. So certainly don't let yourself feel "pathetic" because it doesn't measure up to what your idea of a relationship should be. Happy feelings are happy feelings. :)

That said, the only real pitfall here is if having an online thing is keeping you from meeting someone in real life. Developing an emotional connection with one person might make it hard to open up to someone else if you get the shot. Then again, it might not.

Just try to figure out how invested in this relationship you want to be. Over time, if you change your mind and want out, or decide you want to get more involved somehow, then you can act on that. In that sense, it's no different than any "real life" relationship.

I agree with this. My relationship started online, and now we've met and see each other in person. So it's not so uncommon or so strange. He might be the person to help you through rough years of your life. I'd say keep at it. You never know what can come from it.

Latest posts

Back