Am I too old for this site?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jilted John

Reaction score
I've had some nice positive replies to my posts (that's positive in a nice negative way) but they all seem to be from younger people,not that I'm agest or anything!(keepem comin)but am I the only 60 year old here?

John.[/align]
:(

I would have thought that lonliness can strike at any age, and for whatever reason too. There is no upper age limit surely.

There's people of all ages here. Some people's age may shock you, as some tend to act older or younger than they are.

Too old?

No, you are not. You will find that most of the people here are not concerned about a persons age, just what they are going through.

Age ratio at A Lonely Life

I don't know if there are any other people your age but does that really matter? We all bring something different to the mix. For all our similarities in feeling alone etc, there are differences too. Which do you really want to concentrate on?

Yeah age is pretty subjective online. For instance I am 28, yet I never matured past 14. :)

John - don't worry about age. as Minus said - it doesn't matter. only who you are, what you say, and what you are going through.

No such thing as 'too old' in this place, I'm sure. Might be a tad more difficult to find discussion topics that suit you, given that the majority of forumers are younger, but I'm sure there's older folks aplenty here. They're just not as vocal as the younger generation of lonely people.

Limlim said:
Yeah age is pretty subjective online. For instance I am 28, yet I never matured past 14. :)

That's strange,I'm 60 and never matured past 28!

Bread said:
No such thing as 'too old' in this place, I'm sure. Might be a tad more difficult to find discussion topics that suit you, given that the majority of forumers are younger, but I'm sure there's older folks aplenty here. They're just not as vocal as the younger generation of lonely people.

Your'e right,I think us wrinkley's are a bit more wary about committing our thoughts and feelings to print (stiff upper lip and all that) except me of course! Loved your graphic.:D

dead said:
John - don't worry about age. as Minus said - it doesn't matter. only who you are, what you say, and what you are going through.

Thanks.
From the positive replies I've had,I feel a bit stupid for posing the question in the first place!:club:

I said:
I don't know if there are any other people your age but does that really matter? We all bring something different to the mix. For all our similarities in feeling alone etc, there are differences too. Which do you really want to concentrate on?

I suppose the biggest difference between a lonely 17 year old and a lonely 60 year old is that his or her life has a good chance of improving,but you are right,the isolation is probably just the same.

Jilted John said:
From the positive replies I've had,I feel a bit stupid for posing the question in the first place!

Oh no, that question gets asked regularly. It isn't an unusual thing to wonder.

Minus said:
Too old?

No, you are not. You will find that most of the people here are not concerned about a persons age, just what they are going through.

Age ratio at A Lonely Life

Thanks.
According to the age ratio poll, I AM the only 60 year old!(knew I was special):rolleyes:

VanillaCreme said:
There's people of all ages here. Some people's age may shock you, as some tend to act older or younger than they are.

It's nice to know ageism is not alive and well everywhere.;)

Jilted John said:
I said:
I suppose the biggest difference between a lonely 17 year old and a lonely 60 year old is that his or her life has a good chance of improving,but you are right,the isolation is probably just the same.

You make it sound as though your life is over just because you're 60. My dad is 83 and he's getting ready to go on a trip abroad for a month. It's what he does. He only started really enjoying life once he retired. Plus, since he's planning to live until he's AT LEAST 113 (he wants to be a teenager since he missed out the first time), he'd figure you're barely half way through your life. So, at least in the world according to my dad (which, to be fair, is pretty different from everyone elses), you've got just as much chance of improving your life as the 17 year old. More, possibly, since you've got more life experience to draw on to do it.

I hope that helps (either that or I've just depressed you with the thought of another 60 years of living...sorry).

Jilted John,
I'm 7 years younger than you.
I sometimes ask myself the same question.

I think that we mellow with age, and are less likely to post unkind remarks as we get older.
I've had some really nice responses from some on this site, and some private messages as well.
Also blocked one tough-guy know-it-all who I deem to simply be a troll.

One thing this site has that I find useful, is traffic.
I've posted on other sites and weeks went by before the post was even viewed, much less responded to.

Good luck. Enjoy.

A new life said:
Jilted John,

I think that we mellow with age, and are less likely to post unkind remarks as we get older.
I've had some really nice responses from some on this site, and some private messages as well.

I've posted on other sites and weeks went by before the post was even viewed, much less responded to.

Good luck. Enjoy.
Well thank you whippersnapper!
Hope I wasn't the troll was I? :(

Jilted John said:
A new life said:
Jilted John,

Good luck. Enjoy.

Looking at my grey hair in the mirror
and you calling me a "whippersnapper" that's funny.

No you weren't the troll.
I wouldn't have seen your post if you had been.
Once you block-a-troll (I want credit for the phrase "block-a-troll" )
you never have to even see their crazy rants again.

A new life said:
Jilted John said:
A new life said:
Jilted John,

Good luck. Enjoy.

Looking at my grey hair in the mirror
and you calling me a "whippersnapper" that's funny.

No you weren't the troll.
I wouldn't have seen your post if you had been.
Once you block-a-troll (I want credit for the phrase "block-a-troll" )
you never have to even see their crazy rants again.

Hello Grey Whippersnapper!
This Blockatroll,is it used orally,anally,or maybe nasally?Either way full credit to you for this ground breaking discovery.:D

Hello Jilted John! I am 53, I am glad you found this place! I asked the same question awhile back and got the same answers...loneliness strikes all ages! Best of luck to you. I joined in the beginning of January and have never had one negative experience with this Site. There are a lot of people with a lot of good advice. As far as the people that are young on here, I think maybe loneliness makes you mature! They sure have some good things to say! :D

Latest posts

Back