An encouragement for new members

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome branson

I am sorry that things are have been so difficult for you lately. That is a lot to go through.

Hi, I'm really new to chatting so I am sorry if I do something wrong. Ok, so here goes. I used to be fearless. My family moved around alot so I was used to making new friends. Not always close friends, since I knew we might be moving again, but close enough. Then when I was old enough I joined the Army. Again, I found it easy to make new friends but as usual because of the transient nature of the military, most of those friendships didn't last. After I left the military 4.5 years later I met my future husband and had two children. My children are now 2 years 8 months and 18 months old. I had a friend I met in Middle School whom I am still in touch with but she has had a child of her own and before that we didnt always keep in touch. Then I met a new friend in my husband's home town and then she moved away and we intermittently keep in touch by email. I hate my husband's home town and I have been quite a few places and I have never hated a place before, and I have a hard time finding people my own age or at least who have something in common with me. The very few overtures of friendship have ended up with me making a move and them changing their mind, even though they initiated contact and told me to call them. I have no idea what is going on with them, and I have to admit I am not an easy person to pull in. It took the one person I made a lasting friendship here a while to convince me she was serious before I trusted her, after the experiences I've had in this town. I have a hard time opening up to people and I am not sure why, as I used to be able to form friendships quickly, and in fact was quite outgoing, though I do admit to having been quite cautious at first with all of them, even though I tried very hard not to let them know I was being cautious. I don't know if that makes sense but that's the best I can do. I will also say that I mourn my time in the Army now because I have not had very much human contact since I got out and have lost a lot of confidence in myself as well. I have tried to get back in but because prior service takes up reenlistment spots and people are reenlisting in record numbers they don't want me. Now I feel so alone that I don't know what to do. With all my moving around and my time in the military I've never had problems making friends, if only temporary (and I do still have a friend from the Army but he is still enlisted so it is hard to keep in touch) so I don't know what to do now. This is a small town with nothing to do so and most of the people are either much older than me or much younger so I am at a loss. Hopefully we'll be moving soon but I can't bank on that, so I am looking here for an answer to my problem, while at the same time being extremely embarrassed by my forthrightness. If you really need stats like I read somewhere else on the forum, I am a 28 year old, female who is married with 2 young children. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the site Tigrelily. Look around the site and make yourself at home. Hopefully you can find some direction or at least some ideas or dealing with your situation.

Hi guys. I'm not sure why I joined, but it must be 'coz I'm lonely. :)
I'm also not sure if there are any rules about countries outside the US.. I'm from Romania, would very much like to meet people outside the box I'm living in (that would be my country :) and socialize, I guess...
I'm actually realizing that I'm a bit shy, as I type :)) lol. I've read impressive stories in this thread.

Welcome She of the Forest. No there are no such rules. In fact we do have a few people from your country here.

Hi everyone :). I'm 27 years old, from England and I feel a bit like 'She of the Forest' because I'm also not sure why I joined. But what I do know is I find it difficult to make new friends because I'm shy, introverted and only have a couple of close friends who I met during my school life. I was singled out and ignored quite a lot during my youth (not just at school) and find it hard to come out of my shell but I do my best to try.

I decided to join 'a lonely life' after reading this: http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=716

The thread is old but I still felt really bad for Michael and the responses he received were really moving and supportive, I have never done any drugs like he did though, but I just feel as lost in life as he was at the time he posted that. Do any of you know if he is okay right now? If not, I hope he is because he sounded like a good dude and I think everyone deserves a fresh start if they want it.

Anyway my hobbies are: Gaming (Xbox), photography, cycling, driving, watching movies and listening to music of all kinds.

I'm not sure what else to put right now but I'll have a browse through this site (which seems great so far) :)

Thankyou for reading this, and take care.

Welcome to the site Simon :) I hope Michael is alright, also.

Just joined. Not sure how to update my profile. If you could email me or something and let me know how that would great. Thanx.

Welcome

Click on "User CP" towards the top of your screen and you will find the menu options for editing your profile.

The Thread is as follows"

An encouragement for new members
This is just a suggestion, but it is a thing I know many people would appreciate:

Fill in your profile data, in particular it would be very nice if you could specify:
•your location
•sex
•birthday (thus age).

This will help people getting a better idea of who you are, and what timezone you are in (thus it becomes easier to anticipate when someone might come online).

Dont worry about your privacy, this information will not be used by alonelylife.com for any other purpose but showing in your profile .

I will repeat though:
This was just a suggestions and an encouragement, you are NOT forced to fill in your profile data.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, welcome to the Forum all Newcomers!

I think some people may be confused and are writing their information here as a post and not putting it in their Profile.

In my opinion, it would be nice to know the age and sex of the person I was in contact with. I believe it would give you a better idea of where the person is coming from in their questions/answers. I am a 53-year old female that would be interested in knowing if someone is male or female, and whether they are very young or around my age. My Profile shows my information. But, of course it is up the individual.

Hello,
I'm 46 yo, female, from Michigan. Lonely, overwhelmed, and depressed...

Espoir said:
Hello,

Hello espoir and welcome to the forums.

May I suggest creating a new thread here in the new member forum to introduce yourself and perhaps say a few things about yourself because not many people read the thread you posted in now.

Hi Espoir,
I have been feeling that way for awhile.
I realized recently that it's a combination of my appearance changing (from the onslaught of middle age) and also the loss of some companionship I used to have regularly: that of my children.
I'm actually surprised that I'm not even MORE depressed and lonely !

Hi Espoir. Welcome to the site.

Hi Espoir! Welcome to the Forum. I agree with "brickinthewall," suggesting you create a new thread introducing yourself and telling us somethings about you. You will most likely get more responses that way, and even people that, if you ask, may want to Private Message with you.

brickinthewall said:
Espoir said:
Hello,

Hello espoir and welcome to the forums.

May I suggest creating a new thread here in the new member forum to introduce yourself and perhaps say a few things about yourself because not many people read the thread you posted in now.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did start a new thread.

WishingWell said:
Hi Espoir! Welcome to the Forum. I agree with "brickinthewall," suggesting you create a new thread introducing yourself and telling us somethings about you. You will most likely get more responses that way, and even people that, if you ask, may want to Private Message with you.

Yes, thank you. I did that. I doubt anyone will want to PM me as I'm in quite a pessimistic state as of late... just grateful to have a place to unload.

Latest posts

Back