Another awful day coming up !

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
Valentines day ! :(

What an heap of manure !

I have had 3 cards in my life, all piss takes. The first was from my Mam as a joke when I was 14. The second I never found out who sent that one. Last one was a year ago. It got posted to my work. I knew straight away (it was joke) so told the manager to keep quiet about it. I didn't mention it to anyone. Later on in the day I went into the office and saw the deputy manager had got one, same colour card, same handwriting. Some comedian probably thought it was funny to send cards to all the single people.

I have sent 2 in my life. Nothing happened either time. I told one lass about it, she looked over the moon about it ! (NOT)

While I can see why people would be bothered by being sine on this holiday (a reminder that you're alone) this is one that has never bothered me when I'm single.
I have no idea why, but I doesn't.

EveWasFramed said:
While I can see why people would be bothered by being sine on this holiday (a reminder that you're alone) this is one that has never bothered me when I'm single.
I have no idea why, but I doesn't.

oh it does bother me. I hate the fact if I did get a card then it could never be genuine, it would have to be a joke. I know sending cards is rather silly and childish anyway. People tend to talk more about partners and romantic things on the day. It is a reminder to me I have never had anybody.

Valentine's Day is a crock of honeysuckle for everyone, nothing but another way to entice people to spend money. More than any other holiday, this one has a way of leaving so many people feeling bad when they have no reason to - if you're single and get nothing, you feel lonely and left out; if you're married or have a special someone and they forget to give you a gift or card, you feel like they don't care enough; God help you if you forget...it's the silliest holiday ever. My advice: forget it exists and treat it as a normal day.

Never had anything here. Oh apart from spam email.

I suppose bots sending me spam e-cards every year is better than nothing... Bots love me. <3

:club:

I'm only bothered when the ladies at work who get bouquets delivered that are so big they should have their own postal code feel it's necessary to make sure everyone else knows they got it. That and the smug posts on social media about "look what my man got me, I have the best husband ever!"
I'm seriously thinking about taking that day off work :)
I do confess I try to make it fun for my daughter since she has no clue about romantic love and she loves any holiday. We baked a heart shaped cake with pink frosting last week.

-Teresa

at least have the satisfaction to know that 60% of the couples will be fighting because of the same imbecile holiday, it's like Thanksgiving just for couples

ringwood said:
Valentine's Day is a crock of honeysuckle for everyone, nothing but another way to entice people to spend money. More than any other holiday, this one has a way of leaving so many people feeling bad when they have no reason to - if you're single and get nothing, you feel lonely and left out; if you're married or have a special someone and they forget to give you a gift or card, you feel like they don't care enough; God help you if you forget...it's the silliest holiday ever. My advice: forget it exists and treat it as a normal day.

it used to be a card but now it's got so commercialized. Our shop sells all kinds of honeysuckle, cuddly teddy's, mugs, chocolate, it's just shite.

SofiasMami said:
I'm only bothered when the ladies at work who get bouquets delivered that are so big they should have their own postal code feel it's necessary to make sure everyone else knows they got it. That and the smug posts on social media about "look what my man got me, I have the best husband ever!"
I do confess I try to make it fun for my daughter since she has no clue about romantic love and she loves any holiday. We baked a heart shaped cake with pink frosting last week.

-Teresa

I am glad you have a nice time with your daughter. But yes people love to show off. We get flowers sent to our shop and it's all what people talk about. Of course every year some unfunny person says 'have you got one , David ?' - just to try to show me up. I am honest with them. I say if I did it would be a piss take. Which last year's was.

Being single on Valentine's Day never bothers me, for some reason. Maybe it's because women are more invested in that day than most men. I don't know. Also, I'm not privy to the gifts that are exchanged by couples on that day, so it's outta sight/outta mind.

It would be different if I saw intimate gestures from sweethearts on a daily buildup to the day. Then, it'd probably bug me because the reminder of my lack of a SO would be "in my face."

Sofi's mama wrote
I'm only bothered when the ladies at work who get bouquets delivered that are so big they should have their own postal code...

They probably sent them to themselves....

Some years ago I guy I was seeing finished our relationship - on Valentine's eve. It wasn't a particularly serious relationship, and I wasn't in love with him, but I remember walking down the road next morning to the tube, seeing a man rushing along with flowers, and I suddenly just burst into tears.. ruined my mascara, and my day.

I think now that he did it then to avoid spending any money on a card ( he was an exceptionally tight Yorkshireman. I speak as yorkshire born here myself)... Yet still I think about it sometimes...

Valentine's Day never bothered me while I was single, but it did when I wasn't lol. It's stressful!

Valentines day. I usually avoid going out during that day. As Yoda would've said:
"If out during valentines day you go, only pain will you find."

Haha, there's a thread about this every year.

Yeah it's honeysuckle when you're alone but it's something you gotta accept and just treat it like another day, stay in or something to save looking at all the crappy merchandise and couples.

Valentines Day didnt bother me when I was single. I quite enjoy seeing the looks on the peoples face who receive something or their other half makes a nice gesture. Seeing the joy on a womans face when she gets a surprise bouquet is just lovely. Im happy for them.

GraceBlossom said:
Valentines Day didnt bother me when I was single. I quite enjoy seeing the looks on the peoples face who receive something or their other half makes a nice gesture. Seeing the joy on a womans face when she gets a surprise bouquet is just lovely. Im happy for them.

Nothing wrong with couples sending each other stuff.
What I don't like is when people think it's hilariously funny to send 'joke' cards to lonely people. (Such as me)

Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:

it used to be a card but now it's got so commercialized. Our shop sells all kinds of honeysuckle, cuddly teddy's, mugs, chocolate, it's just shite.

SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

I am glad you have a nice time with your daughter. But yes people love to show off. We get flowers sent to our shop and it's all what people talk about. Of course every year some unfunny person says 'have you got one , David ?' - just to try to show me up. I am honest with them. I say if I did it would be a piss take. Which last year's was.

You could always have a comeback if someone asks a snarky question, maybe like "Wouldn't you like to know?" or "I don't kiss and tell" :D
That might help them put a cork in it :D

-Teresa

lucky for me I am only working until 10am on Friday. I will miss most of the crap from people.

I find it uncomfortable when people purposely stop talking about their plans for Valentines night when they realize I'm in the room (like at work). I mean it's kind that they don't want to bring up the subject in front of me but it also emphasizes the point that I should some how feel bad about being single. Or they pretend its not a big deal when earlier I heard them talking about their awesome plans for the evening. I suppose they are being sensitive to my feelings but I feel more like schmuck when they do that.

Latest posts

Back