another new member

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cicero

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I want to begin by saying that I am so happy to discover the existence of a forum like this one.

I won't repeat the details in my profile...feel free to go there!

I've done a lot of reflection about loneliness. Lonliness comes in different varieties, I think. There is one kind of loneliness that comes from the circumstances one is in: i.e., a lack of friends or a romantic relationship. I have felt this very profoundly at certain times in my life, but this is not what drove me to this site.

There is a deeper kind of loneliness, in my opinion, that comes from within. The loneliness that comes from the realization that there are parts of me that no one else can understand...in fact that even I can't fully understand. The loneliness that comes from "not fitting in" to the surrounding culture. And in fact, this loneliness can be compounded by the fact that I DO have friends and a wife and a daughter who love me. That is, I have the things that are supposed to allow me to NOT be lonely, and yet I feel lonely anyway, at times.

I do not seek a "cure" for this. In fact, I think there is a certain degree to which it is healthy to feel this. But I do not wish to wallow in it either. I am trying to understand it more deeply. I think that for me, this loneliness is part of my spiritual journey with God. I am trying to sort out a healthy balance between engaging the people and the world around me and in acknowledging my separateness from them.

Perhaps I will be able to articulate this better in the future. But for now....greetings to you all. I look forward to participating in this forum.

Jilted John: lol!

Actually, the thought of turning 60 doesn't bother me.

But I reserve the right to update that opinion a few months from now ;)

Oh, believe me it will,it will,but the upside is,you can get away with a lot more!

Oh,and Cicero,I've seen his name in a lot of Roman quotes,but I can't remember what he was,Emperor,Chronicler,or something.Could you enlighten me?

Jilted John said:
Oh, believe me it will,it will,but the upside is,you can get away with a lot more!

Oh,and Cicero,I've seen his name in a lot of Roman quotes,but I can't remember what he was,Emperor,Chronicler,or something.Could you enlighten me?

Cicero is most remembered for his orations and his philosophical writings.

He was a senator who lived during the last days of the Roman Republic as it was transforming into what we now call the Roman Empire. Mark Anthony had him executed for his anti-imperial views.

Latest posts

Back