any engineers or mechanical people here who can help?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
well, as some of you know (a lot of you because I complain all the time, apologies) I have mobility problems - not enough to be in a wheelchair all the time, but enough to be unable to walk from one bus to an underground station many times in a day or to go for a walk with a friend.
I looked for tons of in between solutions, like monowheels, hoverboards, Segways and miniSegways but I haven't found anything that can be used in between but also that can be carried easily with wheels and not too heavy to lift (max 15kl/30 pounds) to go on the bus.

Something that would allow one to be at eye level with other people if you are taking a walk together (ok, THEY would be taking a walk), but that doesn't require any balancing skills, and not as obtrusive as a wheelchair, or heavy to carry in case of obstacles (if one is so lucky to be able to walk some, it's unnecessary to be limited by architectonic barriers).

I found this, but it's not even in production yet and it doesn't work when it rains, also probably it's kind of difficult to use if one doesn't have good balance (people usually don't have great balance when they feel sick) :

http://selfbalancingelectricunicycl...self-balancing-scooter-video-reel-from-japan/

I am looking into different motors and solutions, but I am far from being an engineer, maybe someone here is willing to look into this with me?

maybe we can make something that millions can use :D

What about these.

I think these are pretty cool an I hope to get one one day lol, They're all the rage at the moment here. Virtually the same as a Segway only much lighter. I've seen guys and even kids zooming around in shops an everywhere on them, they can't be difficult to get used to.

Good things is that they're out now and much less than a Segway.

it has to be unobtrusive, easy to carry (so no electric tricycle) and usable by people who have balance issues (so no balancing boards or hoverboards). You will not see an old or sick person using an overboard, I tried one last week and it just wasn't the right thing, when you are ill it's already a lot if you can stay still like a sack of potatoes, no way you can manage the motor skills required by a hoverboard

it could look like a stool with 4 wheels or a small segway with four wheels, but probably it should use some other system rather than balancing.

Kamya, what I am looking for does NOT exist, that's why I am looking for someone to help build it.
I am also going to write on hackers/DIY forums, but first I thought it would be nice if somebody here was interested in working this out.

Too big?

The only thing i can think of is an electric scooter that you stand up on. Or some have stands for a seat. They might still be too big?

http://www.amazon.com/UberScoot-1000w-Electric-Scooter-Powerboards/dp/B00A1ELLNK

This one folds up. Doesn't look too bad really. There are a lot that look exactly the same. All white-labeled like all of those hoverboards are. They can go pretty quick too.

[video=youtube]
Here's a gas one. She seems to be able to go at a slow pace there.

it has to be very small and like an addiction to the body, like the laptop sized one I posted - if you have balance problems, you cannot go on just two wheels, also that's like 50 kilos

we need something small, easily portable, and possibly nice to look at -

I repeat, any engineers out there (here) to make one? :)

There could be a large market for something like this. Do try posting to a DIY forum or similar. There aren't that many people who are handy enough to build "prototypes", so you gotta look in the appropriate places. Might be some in here, but not that likely.

It'll have to some form of self balancing vehicle though. Something that is both inherently stable and mobile will be very bulky. That'd be a chair on wheels in some form or the other. (That said, why are all wheelchairs so bulky? I never saw a sleek motorized one made for people with lesser disabilities.)

I envision a cross between a unicycle, segway, and those "chairs" I don't remember the name of where the seat is tilted forward so your weight is supported by tilted plates you put your knee and leg against.

I was looking up if Arduino can cut it, not sure if self balancing is the way to go. Yes, it's also a mystery to me why wheelchair motors are so huge, but the guy who rented me a wheelchair yesterday told me there are motors weighting less than 6 kl, anyway in the next days I am drawing some sketches and then look for the DIY buffs.
It'd be nice to make it happen, right? to give a chance to people who can't walk much or are weak to do more stuff with other people. Old young, I can't imagine how the chair you mention would look like, if you find a picture can you please send it to me?
well, it's an idea - much to learn about wheels and motors in the next days :)

Hmmm. This is how I would go about it for building a prototype. Basically a 3 wheel Segway.
Take the base of an office chair. Leave only 3 wheels. Add a platform on top of that. The wheels need to be replaced. Use the arms holding the casters to support axles.
Figure out how much force is required to move it. You can use a fish scale an literally see how many kilos of force are required. Gets you an idea of the torque required.
Come up with motors. I would use planetary gears to keep it compact. Depends how fast it needs to go.
Going to need some microcontroller for speed control and make sure it goes straight. I personally would not use an Arduino... but I'm biased here.
Need something like a T handle that can be detached.
And the big problem... powering the motors. There's where a lot of the weight is going to be. It will require some research.

Let us know what you find out Peaches. I might be able to help with some advice. I am not a product designer and not the type of engineer required for the task but I like to think I am mechanically inclined :)

I'd love to! in the next days I am going to learn a bit more about all the different mechanisms, so at least I ll be able to sustain a conversation (I do interaction design and have dabbled with product design, but where mechanics/electronics are involved I am a bit at loss) so I ll get back to you with questions :)

Latest posts

Back