anyone actually like being alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is going to be a time in my life where I'm completely and utterly alone, so I've voluntarily exiled myself socially to prepare myself mentally for this.

I can handle being alone, I dislike being lonely. The two aren't always the same thing. I can be lonely when I am surrounded by other people and be just fine when I am all alone. Sometimes being alone and being lonely do intersect.

I do not enjoy being alone. We are not meant to be alone, as is evident through how our bodies react to loneliness.

If you are alone forever, you have missed out on one of the only true free choices of a western life, which is to enter into a romantic relationship and hope that happiness follows.

Sometimes being alone is great. I can do what I like, when I like, but i'd love to share again with someone special, but there is no point in sharing with just anyone, it has to be the right person or i'd be more alone with someone than without them.

kamya said:
I think most people here seem to be a little introverted so yeah I will say I like my alone time. It's not so bad when you have the power to turn it on and off whenever you feel like it. The problem for a lot of us is not being able to turn it off. It can be nice for a little white but after so long it starts to drain you. It's no longer a choice but a forced situation that requires a lot of effort to overcome.

I think there is a difference between feeling lonely and being alone.

Well said...

I like being alone most of the time. It sucks when there is "too much" of it, and you realize you've made a mess of things and you don't have anyone to go do anything fun or new with. The monotony of being alone can be difficult.

Yes I can relate too this..It`s so hard once you`ve got into the rut of being alone for then to get out of it..The longer it goes on the worst it gets. Made a mess of things end of last year, since then alone except from work. Once I close the door after work thats it, I feel lonely and alone.
I am trying to muster the courage to inquire about doing volunteer work. It`s just the picking up the phone that`s the sticky bit.

trueloner said:
I am trying to muster the courage to inquire about doing volunteer work. It`s just the picking up the phone that`s the sticky bit.

Maybe try an email, so much less stressful.

I desire balance and simplicity. I appreciate being alone but it is (seemingly) involuntarily overdone.

i dont mind being alone sometimes. but when i am lonely and there are so many hours to kill before exams or classes, i breakdown. i come back to my room during lunch breaks because i dont have anyone to eat with and tht is just sad.

Latest posts

Back