anyone actually like being alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man of one

Reaction score
I like it for the most part, I enjoy company in college waiting for class to start but on weekends and elsewhere i prefer being alone in fact im always alone since i only go out to college and the gym, i use to have friends but i just hate talking on the phone and well going out and when i went out it drained me so i prefer not doing it, im a real homebody i hate parties and social gatherings etc. i actually spent 2 weeks completely alone when my family went on a trip and did just fine i even enjoyed it weird huh? lol. but don't get me wrong though i want a girlfriend and possibly even get married someday it is just hard to find one that is like me lol...so anyone else like this?

I think most people here seem to be a little introverted so yeah I will say I like my alone time. It's not so bad when you have the power to turn it on and off whenever you feel like it. The problem for a lot of us is not being able to turn it off. It can be nice for a little white but after so long it starts to drain you. It's no longer a choice but a forced situation that requires a lot of effort to overcome.

I think there is a difference between feeling lonely and being alone.

I echo Kamya's sentiments. When it's no longer a choice it becomes draining.

To answer your question, though, I do enjoy being alone. Some weekends I just want to stay home and put things in order, make some cards or write stories or read. I especially enjoy it on stormy nights like these.

I think sometimes that it's people's expectations I want a break from. Even the normal ones, where people expect you to smile and nod and listen actively, eye contact and all that. Which aren't unreasonable. Even though i'm not depressed lately I can still find these requirements tiring. When you're alone no one is expecting anything from you.

It's not so strange. Many people through history have sought the solitude and peace of the forest or countryside, and even seem to enjoy being alone.

Being alone is solitude.
It's being around people who don't want anything to do with me that makes me feel lonely.

i like my alone time. i was never very social to begin with. but for some reason is till crave companionship. i dont get it.

I enjoy my time alone too, but don't forget, "Language has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone."

Sometimes especially if I am in the countryside in peace it can be very relaxing as its a relief to get away from the crowds and people of city life. But then I think that's normal for most people to like some time alone. To live your life entirely alone form day to day is totally unnatural and can cause intense stress and mental health problems.Its very soul destroying to have no friends to rely on or someone to share your life with, especially if this starts at school and then goes on for many,many years.

You sound like me especially about friends. However, I dislike feeling that way and so now I save others the trouble of getting to know me and realizing I'm a sucky friend. :D

Welcome.

Honestly I don't mind it, especially after a long day at work. All the drama stays there and I don't have to worry about any when I go home. I eat what I want, do what I want, watch the TV programs I want, fart when I want or sit around in the all together if I want. :D So it does have its benefits that's for sure. But even with all the freedom being alone gives you it would be nice to have someone special. :(

I very much enjoy being alone. I've often said that I intend to eventually purchase a small island to dwell on alone, until my death. I can go months without speaking to anybody and feel perfectly content.

Unfortunately, most people are unable to maintain the same affection they had for a person if they haven't communicated for a while. So when I return from my months of solitude, things are not the same. I find myself alone while surrounded by people. It is at such times that I feel unhappy about being alone.

How i wish for a chance to be alone to rediscover the delights of my life! My world is so crowded that i feel so lonely :(

I think, like everything, there needs to be a balance.

I suppose I'm quite introverted, because I'd rather be alone with my thoughts rather than at a party or something the majority of the time.

I like being social and I like hanging out with friends, but I like to do so on my own terms. It's always nice to have peace and quiet and somewhere to think in my opinion.

My frustration really lies in the way that I'm popular with girls, but I never actually seem to get to a relationship level with them, which is more "loneliness" than "solitude".

At the same time, I don't even know if I want a relationship. So it's a very weird feeling that's kind of a variation of the normal loneliness.

It's really bizarre to know lots of girls, but yet feel distant from them in "that way", but I suppose that's how it is.

Love it...
The only reason I'm social is usually because I have to, promoting something or whoring myself out for something.
Being social is a good exercise, however, puts us introverts out of comfort zones and makes us flexible.

Sci-Fi said:
Honestly I don't mind it, especially after a long day at work. All the drama stays there and I don't have to worry about any when I go home. I eat what I want, do what I want, watch the TV programs I want, fart when I want or sit around in the all together if I want. :D So it does have its benefits that's for sure. But even with all the freedom being alone gives you it would be nice to have someone special. :(

Couldn't have said it better my own **** self.

I'm at the point where being alone is my best option. I want to eventually make friends and make real connections and be loved and give love to someone.

There's a set amount of time i can spend with a person or a nr of persons, either hanging out or just chatting, before i feel it is enough. Like when you fill your 'social' meter in that video game.. you just don't feel the need to continue, and actively look to spend some time away from social interaction doing other things

that's why i know i'd go crazy if i'd have to spend large amounts of time around ppl

I like being alone, people drain me, mostly with their boring/useless small talk. I always feel like I have to perform for them or be a different person since most people can't seem to understand or respect anything outside of the usual societal norms. I do however long for human connection, since I believe it is essential in some form or another so you don't go completely bat honeysuckle crazy.

I like the time in the morning when I get up early and my Mom, is still sleeping. I have about 3 hours of "ME" time when I can do whatever I want and can accomplish things that are hard to once she wakes up. I also like when she goes out to dinner with my Brother and Sister-in-Law, since I have time to watch TV or a movie that I actually like. We both have TV's in our bedrooms, but she gets lonely and likes me to stay with her at night in the Living Room. She even comes into my room when she knows I am not doing chores and on my computer, and asks what I am doing for so long.

I would, however, welcome have at least one friend to go out places with, and maybe go out on a few dates again, but that doesn't seem like it's happening...I am actually getting used to that fact, but it doesn't take the pain of "what am I going to do with my life?" away!

Being alone by choice is amazing, without the choice of being alone i'd die of frustration and stress. Being alone gives you time to really think about people, relationships, dreams, goals.... basically the freedom to do, act and think what you want without the fear of keeping with societal norms and being judged by other people. Also i find it's much easier to get things done when i'm alone :D

But being alone when you don't want, to or when you don't have a choice can drive people insane. Alot of the time it can lead to depression.

Latest posts

Back