Anyone considering cosmetic surgery to boost their self-esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-One

Reaction score
After some hard thinking and research, I have decided to have cosmetic surgery blowout/makeover to give me self confidence.

I am 20, chinese male and since puberty I have never been confident of how I look.

I plan to do the following:

1)Double Eyelid Surgery for asians
2)Magic Epicanthoplasty
3)Rhinoplasty for deviation
4)Nasal dorsum rasping
^^^ in South Korea

5)Teeth Whitening
6)New dental fillings
7)Porcelain Veneers
8)Get rid of spots/chicken pox scars
^^^China

9)Orthodontic Braces
^^^England

Anyone else here contemplating surgery or going ahead with it?

I've had plastic surgery before. That list sounds like it'll take a few years to carry out. I wish you the best of luck :)

-teeth whitening
-nasal septoplasty to remove a small bump that was caused by me falling head first into the corner of some steps when i was 6.
-orthodontic surgery to straighten one of my teeth that is crossing.
-surgery to remove the razor and cigarette burn scars caused by self harm on my left arm.
all in uk which will set me back a good couple of grand.

SophiaGrace said:
I've had plastic surgery before. That list sounds like it'll take a few years to carry out. I wish you the best of luck :)

I'm planning for 12 months total. Drastic actions will be needed however to finance it in this timeframe.

I graduate from university in 12 months. The braces will be the last to finish, and if i'm lucky it'll be finished when they take pictures for my graduation. For everything else, I'll have several months to enjoy them before I leave.

Getting your teeth fixed can be medically justified. If you can afford it, repairing your teeth will provide better overall health throughout your life.

Deviated septum seems an appropriate thing to fix. It will "improve" your appearance if you're not comfortable regarding that part of you as a "character" trait.

Getting rid of chicken pox scars couldn't hurt your appearance. Don't know how much you really need it. Probably depends how bad the scarring is. If your scarring wasn't severe I probably wouldn't worry about it. I have a few scars on my own face that no one ever notices.

Eyelid surgery for asians? Just googled it. This one seems suspect to me. It seems like too common a facial characteristic to be defined immediately as a "flaw" within the Chinese / Japanese communities. Or at least this one seems closest to a nose-job for blond girls that think they're not cute enough. The fact that it's first on your list puts up the alert that you may want to do this out of racial self-hate. (Which is something I'd know little or NOTHING about, so forgive me if I'm wrong) I did see the before / after shots so I get the idea.

I got braces again at about 21 years old.

At 22 I had an uppermandibular advancement, which better aligned the lower profile of my face and more importantly removed the slight underbite that I had before. I'm pretty certain that this was worth it, as that jaw-grinding habit that I've developed would probably be doing much more damage if my teeth lined up totally wrong.

When I stood up from the hospital bed post-surgery to try and pee, a stream of blood dripped out of my nose all over myself and the floor.

That same summer I had otoplasty surgery. This was VERY warrented. It's absurd how much that issue affected my life. If I'd known better I'd have done it at 13.

When the painkillers started to wear off I found myself in so much pain that I had to throw up.

So keep in mind the pain and discomfort that you'll go through as well as the potential for scarring and complications. Medical science has substantially advanced, but it's not flawless.

Both of my own surgeries were quite successful. Afterward I found myself far more comfortable within a crowd. I felt like I had a more "human" appearance. However, it didn't give me confidence. Your insecurities will remain with you despite your changed appearance. It's something I still wrestle with seven years later.

Good luck. These are big decisions.

Surgery is addicting. There are so many celebrities who are engaged in plastic surgeries just to maintain and improve their looks since they are a public figure. BUt this became a habit to others. It cost them lots of money to have another operations. It makes them look fake.

If you try to look at it, why would a person do plastic surgery? The main reason is to enhance their physical looks to look good and by looking good, they feel confident. It means that they are not satisfied with themselves and doesn't accept who they really are. They worry other people's view of them that made them so self conscious. If that's the case, they have low self-esteem because they are pleasing other people to accept them by doing the things that is accepted by the crowd.

Regarding self-esteem, I suggest the "Fabulous Self-Esteem" by Amy Twain which is so uplifting because she digs yourself deeper by explaining what happened to you basing from your experiences. It's somewhat a realization.

Boy, that's a lot to go through.

The only thing I'm considering is braces. If I could just get dental insurance, I'd go through with it. The cost is prohibitive.

Acne is capable of scarring to varying degrees, but pox is different. I believe he's talking about chicken pox.

I wouldn't say no to a tummy tuck. The ravages of multiple pregnancies are severe indeed. Even a mastoplasty wouldn't go amiss.

I need some major dental work - cleaning, whitening, some restoration of where two of my teeth have rotted completely out (fortunately they're towards the back and are not visible unless I open my mouth wide and tilt back), and could use braces too! I really don't have money for these things though.

I was born with intermittent strabismus and never had it corrected, although I am a bit paranoid about having surgery attempted. I'm grateful for my eyes as they are, actually. Sometimes I imagine a worse scenario, and so I smile and accept who I am.

I've recently started becoming more and more aware of my teeth, there in great condition, but I have a gap which I inherited from my fathers side, it looks almost identical to the one Mike Tyson has.

Its strange though how I've only recently really become aware of it, but I think I'm gonna keep it. I've heard that it shows your a good person, if you can go through life without changing yourself, because if I had it fixed then I would pretty much look like an ordinary person. Also some people have said it looks cute, like having freckles, and some people actually have surgery to get one! I didn't know what to say when I heard that...haha!

And in any case nobody has ever mentioned it...ever, not even when I was at school, and you know what school can be like, and I've never had trouble getting along with the opposite sex either, I guess it's more of a good thing to show you can still be confident even with flaws which are just part of being human.

if i could i afford it i would for sure. ive never been a skinny girl or even a normal weight. im big bones and also suffer from health issues that make it nearly impossible for me to lose weight. I dont think ill ever be confident about myself at that weight i am now. :( maybe if i win a lottery ill be able to get surgery.

nope. Dont need it, dont want it. I would consider myself to be of an above average appearance.

sure why not, give me the works.. lol.

meh, i guess someone could angle grind my teeth straight, bleach my black eye bags and fertilize my head to get a nice thick hedge going.

As was mentioned before there is a lot fo pain and you have to think to yourself - will the confidence I gain outweigh my insecurities? You may fix the physcial side to it but even post surgery you will still have the same insecurities. Psychologically you're still the same. Will the confidence you gain make your feeling of insecurity feel negligible? If you can genuinely say yes, I think it's worth it. Sorry if this sounds like psychobabble that doesn't make much sense, but that's how I reason it anyway. I always think to myself I'll get surgwry and afterwards not much would really change and I would still feel the same dissatisfaction but it would be even worse because there would also be a big hole in my pocket.

As for the eye surgery thing -- I personally think it's silly that something like this even exists. I don't know how but the west has managed to make everyone believe that there is this definable image of normal and attractive. And the only people who fulfill this criteria are their 12-time-surgically-reformed film stars. Asian eyes are sexy anyway..

You may fix the physical side to it but even post surgery you will still have the same insecurities. Yes maybe hair replacement since i know i will end up bald as a babies bottom sooner than later but that’s all.

Latest posts

Back