Anyone from the Land Down Under?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
Hey All

Just wondering if anyone was from OZ?

Not that it really matters just curious

Life can be so lonley just would love to really chat to anyone from anywhere in the world, any age I dont mind.

Anyone anyone interested send me an email or put your email here and I will write to you..................................I think I am just at the point where I am not prepared to sit back and hope for anything, just want to make it happen......................get out there and be seen.

I am from Melbourne, but I live in the United States.

I have not been home in a long time, and would dearly love to head home for a month or two at least.

Don't stay shut in... I, like you, hate that empty space... Thoughts for company are okay, but I worry when different thoughts take opposing views and want to argue... That is a lot of noise in the little space inside my brain!

I am in Melbourne too, I love this city! I havent been over the border for years...................................maybe a holiday in a few years time.

Trying hard to break out of my shell....................but this is really hard.............................my anxiety gets really bad. But just know that having a few good friends in my life would just make the difference.

I thought about do some things on meetup or getalife but my anxiety gets the best of me......................................just writing here is a small start in a big direction.

I have lived in the USA for 11 years. I have been an American citizen for 5 years, and I live in Silver City, New Mexico. Silver City was home to Billy the Kid, and this area was also home to the most feared of all Americans, the Chiricahua Apache. Cochise, Geronimo, Vittorio, and Mangus Colorado were all Chiricahua.

I have been to more than 30 countries and lived in five. I lived in New Zealand - in Hastings in the Hawke's Bay area - for 13 years.

Melbourne is the best place for shopping, but then I a little biased! I think one of my brothers lives in Adelaide, but I am not really sure as I have not seen or heard from him in many years. For a kiwi living in Adelaide should be easy, even with a thuck keewee eccent!

Cara: Have you been in Melbourne all your life?

Samba: How long have you been in Oz, and where did you hail from in Aoteoroa?

Meetup? Getalife? What are they?

I've lived in Oz for 3 years now and I'm from all over the place last town I lived in was Wellington.

Hahaha a thick kiwi accent huh, yes I've been told that but for the life of me I can't hear an australian accent, sounds normal to me.

Alaric said:
I have lived in the USA for 11 years. I have been an American citizen for 5 years, and I live in Silver City, New Mexico. Silver City was home to Billy the Kid, and this area was also home to the most feared of all Americans, the Chiricahua Apache. Cochise, Geronimo, Vittorio, and Mangus Colorado were all Chiricahua.

I have been to more than 30 countries and lived in five. I lived in New Zealand - in Hastings in the Hawke's Bay area - for 13 years.

Melbourne is the best place for shopping, but then I a little biased! I think one of my brothers lives in Adelaide, but I am not really sure as I have not seen or heard from him in many years. For a kiwi living in Adelaide should be easy, even with a thuck keewee eccent!

Cara: Have you been in Melbourne all your life?

Samba: How long have you been in Oz, and where did you hail from in Aoteoroa?

Meetup? Getalife? What are they?

Yeah, all my life. I actually love Melbourne but so wish we had house like in the UK then I would be totally happy.

Meetup & GetALife are like places you can get involved with activites such as dinning out or going out to see a movie. I have joined but am not game enough as yet to go the next step. Just trying to get back some of my confidence online as I have been in my own little hole for awhile and not communicated with anyone really. Thought maybe in the New Year will try but I couldnt go if the group was too big...................................One step at time.......................................I just know if I could start dealing with my social anxiety life could be whole lot better.

I am fortunate that I do not have any real social anxieties. My issue is that I am an academic, and cannot converse in ways that are comfortable for others. I am too intense, and too into what I know. I'm happiest in front of a classroom filled with college students...

Social fear is akin to stagefright. The most common phobia is public speaking, which is just a kind of stagefright. Social phobias are along those same lines. What you can do is look at what a group gathering is, and allow yourself to sit back and observe. I rarely say anything when I am in a large group. I usually sit back very quietly, and just watch the interactions of others around me.

There is an expression, "It is the squeaky wheel that gets the most attention" and that applies to people in groups. Most people pay lots of attention to the talkers, the communicators, and leave the quiet ones alone. This is a human trait.

For people to actively engage you, that takes effort. Most people will not bother expending that kind of effort. Often, when people feel isolated in groups, it is not because they did anything wrong, or that there is something wrong with them, it is because the most of the others in the room are socially lazy and choose not to be bothered with the quiet people. The fault lies not with the person in the corner, but with the more gregarious individuals that ignore the quiet ones...

Groups of three and four will call upon you much more than larger groups. They will try to engage you more, and this can be very uncomfortable. The term "hiding in a crowd" is correct. You can easily hide in a crowd.

I sincerely hope you go out, meet people, and find a piece of life that fits you. A place that is right for you in a world that feels like an alien place. You have remarkable gifts, and only a few of us are getting to see them.

You are a marvel

I am not very good in groups, I prefer the one on one chat..................................if it gets any more then 4 I go into this totally quiet mode. But its been a while since I have been out in the size a group.

Today I noticed that its not that I am quiet person but rather I am trying to be quiet in the office where I work to fit in. It just all of a sudden hit me when I was talking a visitor about this that and the other. Sort of thinking this job is not good for my health, its like its making me revert inside of myself. Its a good job but the day is very silent.

Thank you, thats one of the sweetest things anyone has said to me......................................I can assure you I am not all that but wish to be all that one day!

Do you think that you have just met the right people to talk to in life? The only reason I say this is because I actually like to talk to people who are knowledgeable.........................as you can see I am not that bright, put people like yourself with such insightfullness seem to see futher into the issue that is at hand.

You see when I read post like yours it gives me something to think about that I have probably not thought about and that really helps because I dont want to just sit there and feel sorry for myself and whine about everything.......................................I want to learn how to deal with the issue I face on a daily basis.

TC for Now!

I am originally from Norway, but in the process of moving to Australia now, been there for 9 months now.
Live in NSW, not too far from Sydney.

Cara,

The best way to see yourself, is to look at others. You would be surprised at how alike we are in many ways. Many people do what you do, and avoid large groups. Oddly though, it is much harder to manage conversations within smaller groups than it is to be conversant in large groups. In small groups the path of a conversation can be limited, and subject to the vicissitudes of the whims of natural digression. That can make it hard to keep up, and sometimes makes group members feel at a loss and inadequate. In larger groups conversations can take on many forms, but when one is addressing that group entire, the subject will remain static and relatively inflexible to some degree. It is for the performer that anxiety creeps in and problems occur. A true dichotomy!

Your worries are just related to performance anxiety. I would say you love to engage people in conversation, and are probably an excellent conversationalist. I say this because you seem thoughtful and considerate of your audience. This would naturally translate into your conversations, making them measured, and thoughtfully well-composed.

What are your favorite topics? Tell me a subject you get excited about. Something that really gets your tongue wagging.

As to your comment about "as you can see, I am not that bright" I would say you have a gift for introspection, and at this you are a very hard taskmaster. People who are introspective possess an ability no stupid person has. One negates the other, ergo, you ARE a bright person!

It seems, too, that people where you work are diligent and not very conversational. From what you said I would glean that - in conversation - you are a "gap-filler," that is someone who is uncomfortable with excessive silence, and seeks to fill it somehow.

I love to be alone. And I love silence. Silence affords all manner of things that human generated "white-noise" covers up. Right now I am listening to the wind rushing over the house and making its way down the flue into the gas furnace. The house is creaking, and these noises are serving to remind me of going to a netball game with my cousin Elizabeth in the winter of 1964. Thinking about that, I can remember riding on a blue train to Clayton, where the match was held, and on a red train on the way home. The furnace fan is making me think of the noise the electric trains used to make while standing at the stations. I would listen, while sitting or standing in the carriage, to that noise, and sometimes wonder why it was that passengers never seemed to speak. The carriages were always devoid of conversation. A peculiar quirk of human nature.

In larger groups and parties, I try and find people who never shut up. That way I don't have to say much, and I am allowed to get bored. I know you can tell me some stories about people that drove you nuts because they just would NOT shut up!! I would like it if you told me one of those stories.

You asked me about meeting the "right people in life." No I haven't. When I talk to people, the conversations always seem to go towards some kind of issue I am passionate about. The problem is that my passion is rarely shared by others, and I often fail to find my own "off" switch! It is because of this that I have developed strategies to overcome this. I find people who talk a lot, and who are good at it. I also try hard to be around people who have some kind of academic interests and intense curiosity so that I can involve them in my own academic musings. Generally, people like that know they have a lot to offer intellectually, and are not shy to offer it! That keeps me safe, and away from embroiling myself in situations I cannot handle well.

Truly, as you are engaged in a group, bear in mind that others in the group have similar anxieties, but handle them in different ways.

I havent been in a very good way the last few days, but in this time I have observed what you are saying and noticed that there are many people like myself and others that our just the complete opposite. I find as a person that I can get along with most people and dont believe I am judgemental to others, even if I dont like what there saying..................................I hear them out and try to see it from there eyes. Being like this I think has landed me some hotwater due to the fact that because I feel like people take advantage of this and try to change me or think that I will put up with everything. They dont seem to realise that I have an opinion to and it might not be to the likes of them but its my thoughts and I would just like them acknowledge, they dont have to agree or anything like that but just to be heard seems to be an issue that comes up a lot.

There are topics I could talk about that excite me like my kids, renovating, or op shopping but, real life stories,real life issues or finding that ultimate bargain and there are other things I use to love that I have just lost interst in but I have found lately that people are otherwise cutting me short or not interested or I should listen to them. It would be nice to have a two way conversation and I understand what I like doesnt have to agree with anyone but just if the person I am opening up to about stuff could just take the time to hear me, that would be great. I dont really expect that much other then to be treated like a breathing person.....................................all of this is starting to annoy me and well once upon a time I would put up with this and think things would change but they never did.....................................I just zip it and dont bother..............................which is not really helping because I am finding I am just hating the world around me and starting to think everyone is like this.

Looking at that I dont have a lot to talk about................................................Alot of the time I just talk about whatever falls into my head! This could something totally silly or something deep and meaning full................................................I dont really stop and think about what I am saying or writing, I just do now because in the past looking back or slowing down seems to stop me from doing anything at all. Like writing this, once upon atime I would read and re-read and edit...................but now I just write like you are here right now.

This is what I have observed to I tend to be a gap filler with some people and others I just go in a silence mode because this will sound stupid I feel something within myself that on meeting them the first time that I dont like, I dont know what it is, but I then tend to avoid converstations with them. Maybe I am just a frigging snob.......................I dont think I am, but make me get the shivers down my spin and I just think there is something hidden benethe what I can see and I am really not prepared to spend my time finding out. Its not very often but it does happen. Like I work with 7 males and there is one that I just wont gap fill with................I learnt this on Friday, in fact I try to avoid him, but I actually have legimatent reason now but not at the time when I actually started thinking about this.

I do like being alone most of the time and doing my own thing, I am fine with that, but its like I want like 20 percent of my time not being alone.........I really want to now form good friendship, long lasting ones, know what its like to have friends who want to spend time with me and visa versa.

Tonight I am feeling empty and alone and would dearly love to have that person to talk to the phone but there is no one there to call because I am not going to chase people any more to be my friends and thats what it feels like and was. Its just lonely and you want to go back to the comfort zone but inside you know sure it will make you feel better but if these people actually cared they might of kept in contact, other then me doing all the hard work. So now I find myself alone and wondering where to now!

i come from a land called america... where you must be full of bullshit patriotism or be labeled a terrorist :/

Latest posts

Back