approaching people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fvantom

Reaction score
my problem socially isnt so much the fear of approaching someone, but simply what to say when I do so. I guess its the awkwardness of getting my point across to someone that I want to talk to them and be friends. Like I said, I rarely ever know what to say, even if I know I have something in common with them, I feel like Im still gonna cock it up and say something weird.

If I have a reason to talk to someone such as asking about an assignment in school, I usually have no problem, I just need to know how I can out of the blue talk to someone and it not be awkward.

The most important thing is knowing that you have things in common, literally everything can go off from there. Don't worry about coming off as weird, if you know what you're talking about (the common thing between you and the person your talking to) then the odds are in your favor.

You could write out a couple statements, practice and use it. Doesn't have to be a great line, like played Skyrim with double swords with both upgrades, it's so cool. Or even simplier, how's common interest going?

Maybe you could aim for short conversations at first. If you know you only have to exchange a few remarks with someone, it helps take the heat off.

First of all; realize that your problem isn't that you might embarrass yourself, your problem is the fear of doing so. Take comfort in the fact that there is only one way to handle fear - go through it, accept it. When you face your fears they won't seem nearly as scary, i.e. if you did say something weird you wouldn't really feel bad about it.

Well you'll most likely want to review the situation you're about to dive into. Is it business, casual, inclusive, exclusive, etc. Just read what their bodies are saying to you.

You will want to find a little bit of common ground. Such as weather, news, sports.

That is only in case of you not knowing anyone in the group from there add things like music, pop culture, games and so on.

After that you should get the vibe of there tastes, and if you really want to continue that conversation. Otherwise smooth after that.

Latest posts

Back